Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September 2018

Monferrato, Piemont, Italy,

Last september my friend Luigi organized a big meeting to celebrate the first harvest of his new vineyard, a well exposed parcel.

During two years, it has been a hard work : dig up the old grapes, excavate and drain the ground, plant the new grapes.... The goal is to produce a very hight quality of red wine made from the variety nebbiolo used to make Barolo and Barbaresco.

In an international and friendly atmosphere we shared good food and beverage, vineyards hiking, technical approach of wine making and even lyric concert.

Franco, oenologist and Luigi's brother comment the stages of vinification.
    The grapes (here white ones) arrive
    DSC05489 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Making natural yeast

DSC05486 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

the technical winery
    DSC05496 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

The cellar where the wine will stay in oak barrels for two or three years (red one).
    DSC05500 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Now ready to be sold
    DSC05502 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Luigi shows his beloved place

DSC05509 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05516 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05538 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Comment

Before lunch we had to answer to a wine quiz…..…
      DSC05520 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

….to win our mealDSC05519 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Comment

The dinner took place in the castle of Costigliole at the Piemontese school restaurant.

Piemontese specialities.

Veal tuna sauce
        Piemontese salad
        Egg and beef tartar.
        DSC05551 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

As desserts
        Bugnet (a kind of chocolate mousse)
        Fruit tiramisu.
        DSC05554 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Comment

Then I spent few days in Turin, an Opportunity to visit the museum of Italian cinema

DSC05587 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05588 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05597 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

The statue of Cabiria, first Italian film by Pastrone.
          DSC05585 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

And to perk up, a break at Platti one of the oldest café in Turin
          DSC05580 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Comment

Impressed as I was by the scenes in the first photos, somehow when it came to the first one in #2 I was so moved.
            A simple image, a man showing his vine-yards to some friends, but knowing what hard work had gone into its resurrection, looking at the sturdy vines behind him and then at his face I wanted to shout out my congratulations!
            Seeing the delicious looking food I trust you did well in that quiz, Yves.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              Bonjour Ivy.Nice to hear from you.
              About the quiz I have to admit it was particularly hard.But Luigi told me that there will be enough food even for the ignorants!

Dear yvneac... thank you so much for sharing these moments with me. Looks like you had a truly great time with good wines and great food.

- And the desert at Platti looks really delicious - is that topping a caramel dipped banana?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              Dear J-O.
              Don't think there was banana in it. The only thing I remember is...it was a delight!!!

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              The only thing I remember is....
              Umm-mmm-mm you DID enjoy yourself, didn't you, Yves

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely Ivy.
              I never miss an Opportunity to support local Economy.

Ooooh! That is looking declicious! I am sure you had very nice days there...and you were at least lucky with the weather. Does Luigi have a website?
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

What a wonderfully fascinating report Yves. From what I distantly recollected from a wine tasting years ago, the special thing about the Piedmont region is the fragmentation of land ownership, a legacy from the distant past preserved by subsequent history and Napoleonic laws. So the winemaking is not about gigantic estates but is on the scale of small farms in a unique landscape. This really comes across in the photos, as Ivy instantly felt and expressed so eloquently. And, like Ralf, I want to learn more.

Comment

Cecilia and Ralf
                Yes there is a website but I think it has not been refreshed recently. Since 2004 Franco élaborates new wines with new varieties of grapes and he got several "doja d'or" which means excellency for Italian wines and he is now in bio agriculture (I think in English you say organic food or eco-friendly products).
                I am friend of Luigi since more than 35 years. He is not winemaker himself but he still owns parcels around his home used by Franco (his brother) to make wines. The new parcel (called Leduan, that in Piemontese means ""in front of", because it is located just beside his terrace) will be elaborated by Franco to make a special "tête de cuvée" (sorry I Don't know the English translation).
                If one day you go and visit the cantina you can say you know me but notice that here every body call me by my nickname :Vivi.

http://www.vinibaldi.it/eng/trovarci_eng.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attractio..._Piedmont.html

Comment

Leaving Italy, I reached the French Cote d'Azur where I spent a week at Bormes- les- Mimosas (so called because it is the local capital of this nice yellow "flower"). September is a fair period to be there since the majority of tourists is gone and the sky is still blue .

The iconic inhabitant of southern France, the cicada (sorry no sound.)

DSC05729 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

fPorquerolles island, a kind of little provencal paradise…...from 5 pm ( last boat to the continent) and 10 am (first boat from the continent)!
                  DSC05736 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Port Cros, another island, protected by its status of Regional park, runs by the Conservatoire du Littoral. A perfect place for walks and hikings when the sun is not too strong.
                  DSC05754 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Harbour in Le Lavandou
                  DSC05799 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Comment

Bormes is divided in two districts, coast and hill. The hilly part is of course the more interresting.
                    DSC05758 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05764 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05785 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC05762 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Comment

Oh, my goodness, that is a really cute place. The world is indeed full of unknown but beautiful, peaceful and wonderful places!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
                        Ralf__ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Many of the French people don't tell about their most beautiful places. They are happy to have them for themselves! But anyhow, they are happy, if you visit them there!
                        Beautiful pictures, Yves, thank you for sharing your secrets.
                    Working...
                    X