Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Assignment: Linescapes

On my Garden Patch thread I said a while ago:

"But I am wondering whether to start a free-for-all thread for pics. that contain power/telegraph lines as an attractive component - I am becoming quite obsessed with the wretched things. No doubt everyone else will think I'm quite doolally but that's OK."

Now Cecilia has said on my Silhouettes thread:
    "Ah Ivy, I need some advice, where should I post a photo of lines and poles that is not a silhouette, but brightly and directly lit????? I saw it in Haugesund, thought of you, and took a couple of photos . . . "

So that settles it - join in and post your phone or power lines or - come to that - railway lines, crossed, zig-zag, straight across, tangled, whatever you see as an interesting, albeit different, component of a design.

I'll start off with a feeble one you will improve upon:

Last edited by pakarang; January 12th, 2011, 16:32. Reason: Ammended thread title.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

And another:

Ivy

Comment

A quite brilliant idea Ivy!! Who would have thunk it! lol
      CV members have a ton of photos that depict lines of varied degrees, 10/10 for this one young lady!

I actually didn't have a clue why I took this, I didn't really have a use for it. I do now, thanks Ivy!

Last edited by SaintsFCFan; November 28th, 2010, 16:46.
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Now that's a stunner! And how unusual, Paul. I really do like the angle you used, it's so easy to get beguiled by the way parallel railway lines merge to a point far away, but this is certainly something different. Did you take it half seas over like this or have you rotated and cropped it since? No matter which, I love it.
        Ivy

Comment

Phew Paul, there I seem to have encouraged Ivy to create a thread, and now after that railway lines masterpiece in it I’m almost hesitant to post my “saw this Ivy and thought of you” quick-no-artistic-pretensions-snapshot! But I suppose I better had ….

Seen in Haugesund, and thought of Ivy:

…. and look it incorporates a street light too!

Comment

Thank you Ivy! I rotated the camera only a few degrees to the left to get this one, my system for taking photographs when out and about consists of taking literally hundreds of them at various angles, distances, heights, colour and B&W.
            I really don't like to waste opportunities when I'm out, so it's a case of seeing a subject and covering it whatever way I can. All reasons coming from recording our towns disappearing heritage, and diligently photographing everything I possibly can before it goes! A bad case of paranoia methinks! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              Phew Paul, there I seem to have encouraged Ivy to create a thread, and now after that railway lines masterpiece in it I’m almost hesitant to post my “saw this Ivy and thought of you” quick-no-artistic-pretensions-snapshot! But I suppose I better had ….

Seen in Haugesund, and thought of Ivy:

…. and look it incorporates a street light too!
              Blimey Seagull! A masterpiece of confusion! The words "jury rigged" comes to mind, wonderful photos!

Comment

Thought of me, eh?
                I think that what you are trying to say, mistress Seagull, is that things might look as if they are in a tangle, but there's method in my madness and it even sheds light on what's going on!
                Lovely wooden poles.
                Ivy

Comment

It was only when I was posting a puzzle pic. on What Place Is This that I remembered I had a stash of a different sort of line amongst the photos I'd taken on board Shtandart. There was one where I had attempted to make a pattern out of the rigging and this is it:

Ivy

Comment

Parallel lines

Ivy

Comment

Sunray wires
                      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                        Sunray wires
                        Someone really got their monies worth with that pole!!
                        Is this from somewhere in Oz???

Comment

No, Ombugge, it's a few yards up the road - my road. I tell you, it ruins all chance of a good sunset shot around here, everywhere I turn there are overhead wires. That's why I decided if you can't beat them, join them!
                          Ivy

Comment

Re: Photo Assignment: Linescapes

Last edited by wherrygirl; June 25th, 2011, 16:34.
                            Ivy

Comment

Re: Photo Assignment: Linescapes

Very cool that you were able to catch the power line aligning with the line of clouds. One of those things you just have to be read for.

Comment

Working...
                              X