Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Assignment: Rocks and Stones

Photo Assignment: Rocks and Stones

I began to wonder if it might be appropriate to start a thread about rocks and stones when I found I had accumulated some photos that somehow didn’t seem to quite belong elsewhere.

There had been a couple of threads by Tom McNikon – from pebbles on the shore at sunset to seeing Trolls in the landscape – that made me think I hadn’t been the only person with this dilemma, but, being rather specific, these delightful threads gradually dropped down the listings and out of sight. Sterkoder too posted a couple of rock images in the early days of Pictures from the Nature, a lively thread but one we all probably now think of as animals, birds and flowers.

So here I am starting a new place for us all to put our pebbles and rocks and stones.

To start us off, I thought it might be nice – and inspiring – to list some cross references and take a look at some of those rocks and stones from previous threads and posts.

A rock might seem to be a rather fixed, defined sort of object, but just look at this fantastic visual essay on the effects of water and changing light on rocks and pebbles:
    Tom McNikon: RWS (Rocks, Water & Sunset)

Rocks and Stones could turn out to be a more wide ranging thread than you might initially suppose.
    The final motivation I needed to start it was seeing the Summer Trip “bonus image” of the rock at Geiranger that had made pakarang think of me. Notice also in that image the contrast of the natural rock with the cut stone base of the memorial.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    ....Bonus image for Lady C (the rock-coloration made me think of her):....
    Also from pakarang, an outstanding photo essay featuring modern art inspired by rocks:
    Pakarang: Red rocks... winter cold

And do you remember Elizabeth’s stone carving class and “Clyde”?

I hope we will all start to notice much more rock detail in monuments and in sculptures.

Comment

I had photographed a very weathered building stone, originally posted in Photo Assignment: Patterns: they are all around us which I repeat here just as a reminder that building stones can also provide interesting motifs.

Don’t believe this is actually part of a building? . . . it is!!!

Back in nature, here is the link to the imaginative Trolls in nature’s landscape:
      Tom McNikon: The Troll of Hardanger

Comment

And finally in this short and by no means all-inclusive retrospective, Sterkoder had some rocks in the earliest pages of Photo Assignment: Pictures from the nature
        Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        Here's a new image from the same small lake as my previous pictures, a rock breaking water
        ....A cracked rock
        and the silhouette of a face. . .

. . . and I’ll never forget the troll-like face Elizabeth had in her Day 129

Comment

I had never imagined we would be between the rock and a hard place... so many rocks...

And you put them brilliantly together!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Remembering rocks

While waiting for you folks out there to photograph and post something in this thread, here's something I’d got ready just before going to Norway and forgot to post. Sort of Rocks and Stones meets Picture yourself... well, Oh dear!

Remembering Rocks

A family holiday when I was a child was to a place called Kents Bank, close to Grange-over-Sands on the southern coast of the English Lake District.

I can vaguely recollect the walled garden at the rear of the guesthouse where we stayed, the tall trees beyond inhabited by crows whose cacophony surpassed even the squawking of the seagulls. Beyond the trees was a railway line, which could be crossed to reach the shore overlooking Morecambe Bay. At low tide the sands seemed to reach to the horizon. My parents and grandmother would head for a seat, of the kind that usually bears a plaque saying that it is in memory of someone or other, while I played nearby. Some rocks were exposed along the shoreline below the railway – not just pebbles familiar from the beach near home, but actual rocks!

Having a bat and ball to play with was ideal. I would hit the ball as far as I could so that I would have to go and find it –an excuse for all sorts of adventures amid rocks and rock pools, mostly out of sight of the seat. I’d explore and hide, and draw pictures and maps and give names to rocky features, and I had a favourite place of my own to sit on a special rock.

I think I must have been six years old, or seven at the most. For after that my parents ventured further afield – even as far as the south coast of England – and although we lived at a seaside resort we would holiday at other such places like Bournemouth and Eastbourne and Torquay! And so I never returned to Kents Bank, nor even thought about the place as first years, then decades passed.

In 1998 (by which time I was working in the geology department of Edinburgh University) my research colleague and I were invited to attend an anniversary dinner of the Westmoreland Geological Society at a hotel in Grange-over-Sands. Arriving with some hours to spare, and having acquired a leaflet from the tourist office detailing what were described as pleasant walks in the vicinity of Grange, I set off along the coastal path in the direction of Kents Bank. For a while nothing seemed at all familiar, but then memory was triggered where the path took a tunnel under the railway line and continued on the other side. Reaching Kents Bank I could not really be sure where we had stayed, but I did find my way across the railway once more to that stretch of shore.

I now realise that considerable changes have taken place along these coastal estuaries, and grassy salt marsh extends where once all had been sand. The spot where I had played was rather muddy and would now almost certainly engulf my ball before it could be retrieved; the ground more suited to boots than my childhood sandals. But there were rocks and before long I fancied I even recognised the very one which had been my special place all those years ago.

Back at the hotel, my colleague was so entranced with the story of my explorations that he even incorporated the tale into his after dinner speech, alluding to the influence in childhood this area had clearly had on my eventual career! Next morning a little expedition was mounted so I could be photographed sitting on my rock!

At the time I thought all this might have been somewhat “over the top”. But then one day, eventually sorting through the jumble of old photos acquired after my mother’s death, I found myself looking at my young self . . . . sitting on that very same rock!

Comment

Wonderful recounting of your past youth and the place of past happy days, the then and now photo is fabulous Seagull.
              Although the new image with your good self has changed a little, the large rock your sat on has a timeless face that you instantly recognise.
              Thank you for sharing your wonderful past ventures Seagull, I enjoyed this very much.
              Oh, and I love the rock. Kind of like a rock of dreams!
              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

That is such a wonderful story, Cecilia!!! And fancy it the SAME--VERY SAME- rock!!!!

It's that sixth sense of yours!!!

Comment

Oh, there's the rocks and stones thread. I have my browser set to only show threads with posts less than two weeks old. Thank you for bringing it back to the top. How incredible that you went back to the same rock.

Comment

Lovely tale - and what an incredible memory for 6 years old! So many years of weathering, yet the rock merely appears that you have 'Photoshopped' a more recent image onto one taken when you were 6, such is the match! Incredible that you were able to find the same rock after so long - but there is no seagull present!

I, too, once went on an outing by train to Grange-over-Sands in the 70s with my then girlfriend. If I recollect, we, too, posed for photos on rocks there. Is there much else to do?

Comment

So nice and rather touching that my experiences seem to have struck a chord with so many of you.
                      Paul, there is one thing to do there which I have never done but which would be awesome –it is at appropriate tides possible to join an accompanied group walk with highly experienced and knowledgeable local guides right across the vast expanse of the sands and channels of Morecambe Bay.

Comment

...and run like the proverbial clappers to get back once the tide turns!

Comment

For a really great story Seagull.
                          It's great to see you sitting on the same stone that you were photographed as a little girl. Amazingly great to see this.
                          Best wishes from
                          Bengt Domben

Comment

A rock from The Botanic garden in Tromsø.

A small stream from the rocks, ending in a small pond.

A path of stones running between stone walls.

Best wishes from
                            Bengt Domben

Comment

A really fascinating story Seagull!
                              Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Working...
                              X