Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment: Your best landscape photos

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Ye gods, where were you standing in #58 - or have you grown wings?
    Superb images, Paul, of beautiful scenery.
    I was standing only a few inches or an arms length from sheers drops on all of them Ivy, the cliff faces didn't bother me as much as the the scene of the last photo though.
    The last photo you can see the stress marks of the soil being pulled apart, cliff face like this go at a moments notice and there is no management up there. You are basically warned that it can collapse and the responsibility is on you to keep safe. Scares the hell out you of though, but at the same time it's one of those must do things to go near the edge for a photo!
    Last edited by SaintsFCFan; June 21st, 2012, 12:32.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Phew Paul…just LOOKING at those! Yes indeed, that last photo…had I remained involved in geology exercises for students I would have been asking to use your brilliant photo.
      #58/1 scares in a different way…the way the grass seems to fold over the edge – the “edge of the cliff” might not seem at all apparent to someone walking towards the sea, come on one unawares. Slippy grass if it was wet too….[insert “shudders” smiley here!]

However, that said, I am all for personal responsibility.

And Paul, your images are marvellous

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
        Flamborough Head & Trinity House Lighthouse on Flamborough Head.
        A scary view considering the 100ft (30m) sheer drop, I don't like heights to be honest! LOL

Flamborough Head inlet.

Flamborough Head Lighthouse's,
        The left Lighthouse is from 1806, and the distant right lighthouse is from 1669.
        Both fascinating, and very dramatic landscape... I do not care much for heights either but this is simply very beautiful. I would love to see this with my own eyes some day in the future.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          Phew Paul…just LOOKING at those! Yes indeed, that last photo…had I remained involved in geology exercises for students I would have been asking to use your brilliant photo.
          #58/1 scares in a different way…the way the grass seems to fold over the edge – the “edge of the cliff” might not seem at all apparent to someone walking towards the sea, come on one unawares. Slippy grass if it was wet too….[insert “shudders” smiley here!]

However, that said, I am all for personal responsibility.

And Paul, your images are marvellous
          Ah! If you had wanted the photo, you could have had it with pleasure Cecilia!
          Your are right, even though the day was dry it was extremely slippery near the edge of the cliffs.
          I must admit it went against my better judgement to go that near to a sheer drop, but I travelled for a good while to see this place and no way was I leaving empty handed.
          To be frank, I was shaking with fear and this was only a hundred feet! Only says me.. huh!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            Both fascinating, and very dramatic landscape... I do not care much for heights either but this is simply very beautiful. I would love to see this with my own eyes some day in the future.
            No I don't like heights J-O, but I wonder how many others with a fear of height would have done the same as myself.... probably quite few methinks!
            Well Flamborough Head will be here for a few years to come J-O!

Comment

Here's one I had to pluck up some major courage to get this one, this was as close as it looks in dropping over a sheer cliff.
              It was a few inches or centimetres from a sheer drop to the sea, the soil was pretty unstable and had me shaking quite a bit to get it.
              I can only call it "Flowers On The Edge", silly namer but apt!

Comment

This one from Bempton Cliffs fields was very easy to get and no drops near me. I quite liked the lines immediately upon seeing them.

Comment

Well my post had better come prefaced with an adulation warning for anyone who isn’t so keen on that kind of short post response …but I’m not even going to try to analyse why #67 is such a great image…it is simply a W.I.T.T. …”wish I’d taken that”… and they don’t get better than when I just HAVE to say that.

I would appreciate bravery-award-winning #66 too…on any other day perhaps …
                  See, I’ve scrolled to that green field again already, and now I’m imagining one of those white-walled designer apartments that pakarang sometimes features in the Norwegian architecture thread, and there’s a huge enlargement of your Green Field on the wall!
                  …I already hung pakarang’s Blue Reflections in the other room. Much more like this guys, and I’ll need a larger dream apartment!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    Well my post had better come prefaced with an adulation warning for anyone who isn’t so keen on that kind of short post response …but I’m not even going to try to analyse why #67 is such a great image…it is simply a W.I.T.T. …”wish I’d taken that”… and they don’t get better than when I just HAVE to say that.

I would appreciate bravery-award-winning #66 too…on any other day perhaps …
                    See, I’ve scrolled to that green field again already, and now I’m imagining one of those white-walled designer apartments that pakarang sometimes features in the Norwegian architecture thread, and there’s a huge enlargement of your Green Field on the wall!
                    …I already hung pakarang’s Blue Reflections in the other room. Much more like this guys, and I’ll need a larger dream apartment!!!!!
                    Thank you very much Celilia! Although thinking about it, there were a few more of the same type with tracks in the fields.
                    But #67 really caught my eye that day with the sunlight laying on it and the darker skyline.
                    I can honestly say I won't be trying the close up cliff shot again if I can help it, when I think back now it was pretty stupid to have gone that close on a crumbling cliff top.
                    It was only a few years ago when an entire house fell into the sea, the occupants only just got out too!

Comment

Wow! I'm breaking out in a sweat as I sit comfortably in front of my computer. I KNOW I would not have had the courage to get those cliff shots!!!! WELL DONE! And I LOVE the latest one of the fields!!!!

Comment

Part of landscape, at summer:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Now that's what I call summer feeling, grass and lots of sunlight, could it be better?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                            Now that's what I call summer feeling, grass and lots of sunlight, could it be better?
                            Taken on one of the very few days so far this year.

Comment

I get a summer mood with a very Scandinavian sense of the transience of that idyllic season in these tear-jerkingly sensitive images. I’m specially drawn to the dreamy watery distance in the second one.

Comment

There are so many, many great photos in this Photo Assignment-dept. of CVF, it's making me speachless. Thanks to all and every one who spend time posting :-)
                                Here's a picture I took of the "Molde panorama" on my way home from visiting Åndalsnes and M/V FUNCHAL on the 17th October

And actually in Åndalsnes, here's a view towards Isfjorden

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X