Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Assignment: Your best landscape photos

Photo Assignment: Your best landscape photos

Here is a place for active photographers to post their finest landscape images. It would be great if you could at the same time include some details on the settings used when doing the shot and with what kind of lens you captured the image(s).
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Beautiful Dane: simple, but beautiful!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I posted that one mainly for the feedback. It is a pretty scene but the exposure and post processing is a tough decision for me. When I look at the exposure histogram the shot is properly exposed, however I wonder if I should lighten the hills on the other side of the lake.

Comment

For me there is “enough going on “ in the clouds and the reflections, and as a foil to that, the darker block of the hills, and the simple texture of the wooden boards. I find it perfect as it is .

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            I still think it's a great image: please do forgive me, but I thought a little tiny adjustment of the color saturation was cool....

Comment

Nice image pilotdane! It reminds me of Norway!

Here`s one from my archive, Lofoten as seen from Bodø:

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Pakarang, I like your adjustments. I used a polarizing filter so I got good contrast between cloud and sky but the shot just seemed dark and did not convey how nice a day it was. Your processing better shows how it actually felt. I'm off to Lightroom to play with saturation.

Comment

Pakarang, I like your adjustments. I used a polarizing filter so I got good contrast between cloud and sky but the shot just seemed dark and did not convey how nice a day it was. Your processing better shows how it actually felt. I'm off to Lightroom to play with saturation.
                  Clever processing, and Dane says it makes it look more like how it looked and felt on the day too.
                  Nevertheless I was very attracted to the original version – like “I’d have loved to have taken that for Skyscape” kind of attracted. The new version is quite a different kind of image – like a setting for something else – I keep getting the absurd notion that there is about to be some sort of fashion photoshoot and that some girls are going to be posing on those golden boards at any moment!

The interesting question is whether, if camera settings had come up with the second version initially, might I have been tempted to play with the saturation etc to make the image more like the moody version one?????????

Comment

Going to poke my nose in here as the absolute non-photographic expert. But I'm not in the "I know what I like and I'm sticking to it" category either.
                    I prefer Pilotdane's original. There is an overall unity of tone and atmosphere to the picture which is very attractive. It has a gentleness epitomised by the calm water, and the whole scene knits well together. I agree with Seagull, some small detail in the hills would be a finishing touch, but its absence can easily be explained by the position of clouds - there is a quite large, dark one top left and I'm not too disturbed by the lack. In fact it enhances the atmosphere perhaps.
                    In the processed version a disturbing element appears. I hope that Pakarang is not offended - he should not be at honest opinion - but the overall feel of the picture is changed. Pilotdane said the revised version made it look more like it was on the day, but surely if the light was so much brighter then some hill detail would appear, yet there is little more in the processed pic. than in the original, is there? Instead the scene is separated into layers: brilliant, almost hard blue sky with the very subtle shading in the clouds somewhat bleached out, dark hills, bright water and an alien orange tone to the planks. These horizontal strips no longer tie in together to make a whole.
                    In Pakarang's great dandelion pictures which I enthused over this morning I was delighted by the clarity and richness of colour but there, if you looked at the shapes of the patches of colour as just that - shapes - they all varied, with the dandelion the object of the exercise.
                    We are not talking dandelion gaiety here but subtleness of scene.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; June 17th, 2010, 21:07.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I always find it interesting to hear what people think of a photograph and how two people see the same photo differently.

The clouds were just starting to turn dark and it was raining an hour after I took the picture so the first unedited photo does more accurately convey the actual light. The light was changing every 5 minutes. Dark under an ominous cloud and then bright and sunny. I guess the second "Pakarang" image more accurately conveys my feelings. After being on the road for a couple hours the peace and calm of the scene was quite magical. (If there were some wind I would have taken a sailboat out.)

Comment

OK, now on to Speedbird's photo. It is such a wonderful shot that it needs it's own separate reply.

This is the kind of scene I find myself staring at for hours. I guess it is because where I live you rarely get big open views. I am always driving surrounded by trees and the fields are small so there are few grand vistas. Seeing this photo brings me back to my trip to Alaska where I was amazed with the big open spaces.

Was it the light or atmosphere giving the mountains a pink tone, while the hill in the foreground is pure white?

I want to get in a boat and cross to the mountains and see if I can climb the tallest to watch the sun set.

Comment

OK, now on to Speedbird's photo. It is such a wonderful shot that it needs it's own separate reply.
                          I agree, I deferred comments on Speedbird's picture so as not to obscure the discussion on yours.
                          I love the atmosphere caught here, and the feeling of space that Pilotdane enjoyed. The horizontal strata are beautifully varied, softness of clouds - jagged mountains fronted by rounded humps of the low-lying land - then the smooth water bringing the eye down to the well-lit twigs in the foreground. These contrasting visual textures are given unity by the overall colours, just the two, pinkish white and deep, mysterious grey-blue. No more is needed, is there?
                          Thank you, Speedbird.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

So very well put wherrygirl. I was also attracted to the way that, at a larger scale, the tops of the clouds seem to mimic the profile of the mountains in places.

Seeing weather like this it's almost impossible to imagine those very different days when the hurtigrute is arriving at Stamsund before you can see any mountains!

Comment

Thank you all!

This shot was one of those where you really didn`t think it was going to turn out good. The view distance is well over 55 nautical miles, maybe further to the clouds.
                              The distance is really the key to the light setting, this was just before sunset in Bodø but in Lofoten where those mountains are the sun was already setting and thus the color temperature was much warmer there compared to the foreground. I only had a window of 10-20 minutes to do the shot before the mountains and foreground would have the same color.
                              Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Working...
                              X