Photo Assignement: Foul Weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great image Paul.
    always a kind of odd atmosphere,very dark and a few moments later the brightest wheater.
    love al the colors,within your image
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Me and my motor boat driver had been out for all the day photographing the sail races at our local sailing club. In the late afternoon there were only one race left and we begun to be a bit bored after a long day. So we headed ashore to get something to eat. While we were sitting relaxed in the club house sipping our coffee suddenly a lot of leaves and debris came flying through the air outside our windows. A heavy rain weather came rolling in and the wind went from 5 to 15 m/s in just a couple of minutes.

I grabbed my camera and runned out. This was the sight from ashore:

One boat was waterlogged, but everybody seemed to be quite happy afterwards.
      /Tommi

Comment

Sometimes the best photo opportunities come when least expected! And you even got a little wave breaking in the bottom right that kind of balances the church tower and darker trees. I love that image Tommi.

Comment

I agree, Cecilia, the balance makes this image. I love the way the white sail is positioned, just perfect, and that dark mass over to the left (trees?) just completes this study in greys.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you ladies for the warm comments. The trees are on a very small island located approx. 800 meters away, the distance to the church is about 2400 meters. I was a bit fascinated about how little editing this photo needed, it was almost perfect straight from the camera.
            /Tommi

Comment

Re: Photo Assignement: Foul Weather

Don't let the zoom fool you, this heavily laden sky was 30 minutes from opening up with a vengeance and I was a 40 minute walk from my car across the other side of the River Trent on the right hand side.
              You would think that simply breaking into a light trot I would have made it back, unfortunately my battered knees were pushed to a limit they are not intended to make these days.
              Needless to say I did indeed make it back to car before the rains came, although I won't print the colourful curses that came out later! lol

Nottinghamshire to Lincolnshire Sprint!!
              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Love the dark clouds approaching, and thrilled that you didn't feel the full vengeance of them.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A few from the remains of "Berit", please excuse the quality

The storm surge was extreme!

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Last edited by Speedbird; November 26th, 2011, 19:25.
                    Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Found these on smp.no:

Photos by Torfinn Kraakenes

Comment

Very impressive pictures. Especially the waterline in #38/1. Here at my place we had the dryest November since they notice it. Always dry, foggy or sunny, temperatures 0-8°C. We did not have even one liter rain per squaremeter!!
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Very impressive photos, Speedbird, and I do like the simplicity and yet power of #39.1
                          As to the photos shown by Ombugge, the building perched right on the end there seems to be a lighthouse, but I would like neither to work nor live there! Terrifying.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Check out these images from Kråkenes Light outside Måløy:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/11/25/n...ljen/19169006/
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This is while we were at RAF Waddington, on the right nice blues skies. On the left however, a storm front racing in producing black clouds and lots of rain... we got wet! LOL
                              It didn't stay for long though, it blew over in 20 minutes and blue skies returned.

I did this originally in a panorama containing 16 photos, here is a link to the original panoramic photo.
                              http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7...a08f4128_o.jpg
                              Last edited by SaintsFCFan; August 14th, 2012, 20:48.
                              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

A story about a storm in the North Pacific:
                                http://global-mariner.com/index111TheStorm.html
                                Not only a great story with fantastic pictures but also a nice look back in the history of shipping.

Have a look at that site, there's lots of great stuff to explore there!
                                Last edited by Tommi; October 1st, 2012, 23:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X