Photo Assignment: Street Art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Assignment: Street Art

Our cities are often covered with tags, generally without interest or artistic ambition, a kind of visual pollution.
    But since few years we can see notable progress and taggers are improving their plastic expression even though the high quality is still the exception.
    In the continuation of Obey, Banksy, Invider, Blu, Miss Tic and others, a lot of new creators invest the urban space, trying with their stencils and sprays to use it as a great and “popular” gallery. In that way they are the heirs of 60’s artists who aspired to the end of the classical frame and the disappearing of brushes.
    We may like, we may hate. Anyway it exists so, as for me, among the daub I remain open to this interesting experience.
    As I am curious about production beyond my own country, if you make pictures of street art you can post on this thread.
    My first contribution is this wall in Barcelona which will be knocked down in a while.

DETAILS

Comment

Three weeks - and I have only just found this! An imaginative new thread, Yves. I hope we have more of these examples of street art, I'm afraid about the only place I get to see any is the few groups of letters as the train approaches Liverpool Street Station in London. But if I ever find any then I'll take some photos. There are some more on CVF somewhere, I think you have shown them yourself, haven't you?
      Actually, don't you think the thread could go under Photo Assignments in the North Cape Lounge? it would be more noticeable there.
      In that 4th image, am I seeing things or is that a little girl on a swing hanging on the elements?! Delightful.

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes Ivy, I think you are right: it is a girl swinging in a bulb.
        About the place of this thread it could be better on Photo Assignments....but I have no idea how to transfer it!

Comment

I like street art, and here's a link from the Norwegian Broadcasting Corp.:
          Nettstedet Street Art Utopia har samlet 2011s beste gatekunstbilder.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW.Thank you for these links Svein.There are pearls to see.

When in doubt, ask Mark! He'll do it. Actually, you could open a new thread in Photo Assignments and repeat what you have done here in #1 and #2, then I would just repeat my Reply, (I'll make a copy of it now and paste in Word, just in case) then you would repeat your Reply at #4. Done! before it gets any bigger. Then Mark could just delete this thread.
          It might be simpler for Mark that way, but see what he says.
          Ivy

Comment

A trompe-l'oeil I post yet in another thread.
            Bakklandet Trondheim

Comment

Last April in Paris I went and see an exhibition dedicated to DRAN, a street designer from Toulouse.
              See more on www.hypenotice.com Type DRAN in search.

Comment

A good website, that one, Yves. It opened for me on the quietly humourous Zack Seckler paintings. Then I saw the photos of Fanette Guilloud, a clever extension of the Escher and Penrose drawings. Yes, and finally I got to DRAN! All very interesting to study.
                Thank you for the link.
                Ivy

Comment

WAOW.... that is extra-ordinary! The detail in the art in yvneac post is amazing - that is art in a different form than art galleries.

I must say thank you to Sterkoder for sharing that NRK-link as well - had not seen that before. Very inventive and imaginative!

Thanks all for sharing!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

More tags from Barcelona.

Comment

And two garage doors in the same town.

Comment

Those pieces of art certainly brightens up and otherwise dull wall.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Very skilfully done, aren't they? I love that first one in #11.3, there is no shading on the figures but those strong lines give substance, you can "see" the roundness, the solidity of the bodies and feel the effort of pushing the pedals. Then in contrast are the minute details of the watches two pics. further on. And again, the clever perspective in #12.2, I really like it.
                          Good to see these, Yves, I enjoy them all. Thank you.
                          Ivy

Comment

• pakarang
                            pakarang commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My favorite is definitely 12.1 signifying a car park.... as opposed to the more boring common P-sign we normally see.

It's the trompe-l'oeil effect ones which I immediately found myself admiring, and which subtly transcend what comes to mind when hearing the term "street art". And then I liked what you show from Barcelona which embodies that Catelan spirit that I only really experienced before in more mainstream art and design.

Thanks for certainly broadening my conception of what the term "street art" encompasses.

I was specially struck by the humour and irony of the reversals of street art within street art in those Dran images.

Comment

Working...
                          X