X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Assignment: Black & White Photography

In keeping with the forums prefix, I looked through the forum and there wasn't a dedicated thread for Black & White Photography. There is so many things in colour.... now for anything & everything in Black & White!!

This weekend we in Lincolnshire have a Church Festival trail.
    They are opening their doors on a rare opportunity to see inside of them, and I will try to photograph as many as I can.

Here's the link to the list of churches to capture in the lens.
    Church List

Well let me be the first to initiate the thread with the first photo of our Central Cemetery in of course.... Black & White!

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

That is an awesome image in B&W... it kind of adds another dimension to the setting.

I have found myself doing more and more B&W photographs lately, a strange fascination because I have always loved strong colors.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Beautiful idea for a thread. I still have a black and white photgraph I cut out of a magazine many years ago, of a narrow stream sheltered by trees on each bank. I had it on my desk at work. Later I thought I had thrown it out, but to my delight discovered it a few years ago. What is particularly attractive is that there is a slight morning mist playing about the trees and the lack of distracting colour leads one straight into the mystery and gentleness of the scene.
      B/W allows one to notice detail otherwise skimmed over in colour.
      Full marks, SaintsFCFan.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you Ivy and Jan-Olav. Actually many of the photography group I belong to do quite a lot of B&W and sepia photos, I think B&W itself really brings out the contrast and defines the object so much better than colour in certain circumstances.
        But sepia does have great advantages too for that wonderful old tone to a modern image.
        So many times I've pointed my lens at something I have been disappointed with the colour shot, only to immediately re-shoot the photo in B&W and get really pleasing results.

Here is my next offering, this photo of our town's Trent Bridge which I'm sure you've seen a few times in my postings.

Comment

This is one I took of our Manor House window, actually it's called the Oriel Window but no one knows why though!

Comment

This is across the Trent Valley looking over the rooftops of our town, the actual distance of the power station is just ove 2.5 miles or 4km.

Comment

This is the main church in our town, All Saints Parish Church.

Comment

I can't say how delighted I am that you started this thread. These latest photos are also great. The cooling towers in the rooftops one immediately rang a bell - they were in that photo in the sunsets and sunrises thread, their steam showing up so well lit by the sun against the dark cloud. You have caught a similar effect here. The contrasts right foreground are captivating - the stark vertical of the lamp posts with the gleam of light on the top of each lamp, the light on the roof and also particularly that firm line of light along the top of the vehicle. The whole is drawn together by the softness of the foreground foliage, the middle distance haze and the clouds. Much of this would have been overshadowed by the use of colour.
                In the Manor House window I love the way the patch of light from the window at the bottom of the photo balances the gradation from sky to base.
                And the church - well, light bounces all over it - not just windows but altar candles, pew tops, reflections on panels and also the tracery of the lead in stained glass windows gives a delicate lacy effect that would go unnoticed in colour.
                Ivy

Comment

Thank you Ivy, funny enough I have had people say to me that B&W is boring as opposed to colour. Each time I've tried to make the case to them for B&W they sort of get it after trying it themselves especially in seeing the way B&W handles definition. But that I suppose is subject to whatever you are shooting!

I do like colour photography for many different reasons, but I find that with B&W you can sometimes see much more.... if that makes sense?
                  I have found that taking two shots of the same subject in each of colour and B&W yields different very results, sometimes colour makes it stand out and also the reverse with poor definition. That is when I struggle to find just what is best at the time of shooting subjects. I mean, is there a right time for the two to come in their own?

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                    That is when I struggle to find just what is best at the time of shooting subjects. I mean, is there a right time for the two to come in their own?
                    Stating the obvious, I suppose, but don't you think that light is the answer when thinking of B&W? Whereas colour can produce a good picture without too much contrast, the colour itself defining the lines and shapes and drawing the eye around the scene/object, with B&W contrast comes into its own. Look at your rooftops pic. In colour the cooling tower steam would have looked marvellous against the dark clouds (as it did in that picture of the Trent river that I fell in love with) but what about the rest of the scene? The foreground foliage would have been just foliage as we see in so many photos, instead of the glinting pattern of small shapes, the line of the lorry roof might have been a distraction, the brilliant light on the small roof ditto.
                    But as you took it - oh boy!
                    Similarly with the church interior. It dances, sparkles.
                    The others I think I'd like either way, except that in the Trent Bridge one 3 things stand out - the very light window frames, that reflection in the water and the pin-points of lights on the far side of the bridge.
                    Great stuff.
                    Ivy

Comment

Thank you Ivy, I knew you would rescue me out of my total lack of photography understanding. Some get it, but me I'm utterly useless in understanding the technicalities of it.
                      I know more or less when a scene in front of me is right for shooting, but I don't really know what the camera settings mean.... auto's knows what to do!
                      As for the Trent, I fell in love with the mighty banks of the Trent from being a small child.
                      At times the light reflections down on the river can be breath taking, when we had our old wharf front it was fantastic to see and photograph.
                      I have quite a few more B&W photos from around here and around the town, some very old and some new takes. As soon as I find them I'll get them put up on here. I have a terrible filing system, nearest cubboard and forget that I put them there.
                      Cheers Paul!

Comment

This shot was by accident, the sky just went almost black and just after this the heavens opened up with a vengence. Our oldest street.... Caskgate Street.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                          Thank you Ivy, I knew you would rescue me out of my total lack of photography understanding. Some get it, but me I'm utterly useless in understanding the technicalities of it.
                          I know more or less when a scene in front of me is right for shooting, but I don't really know what the camera settings mean.... auto's knows what to do!
                          Cheers Paul!
                          Hey, my camera lives on auto all the time! What I was nattering on about was nothing to do with the technicalities of it - I have quite a good camera for people new to digi, like me, but I've yet to start experimenting with all it could do if I once had the guts to move from auto. All I do is adjust from wide angle to telephoto and/or normal to macro. One day.....
                          No, I was looking at your photos and seeing them purely from the artistic side, if you like. And what I saw was the importance of light, shape, line and the overall balance that makes a B&W pic. as opposed to colour. Colour by its very nature can beguile the eye and perhaps make up for slight deficiences in other areas. But B&W is surely the most demanding, you've just got to get it right.
                          Please don't think me condescending, Paul, when I say that you can obviously see immediately that something is going to be fine for B&W.
                          Hope I don't sound preachy in this post but you've got me quite excited.
                          I don't know how to do B&W in my camera - talk about an ignoramus! I could change it on the computer, but that's not the same. (Quite a discussion went on elsewhere about post camera adjustments, but that's something else.)
                          Your last photo, it's dramatic, isn't it? - all I want in that is just a little more of what I think is another lamp over on the left, a little glint on the shade.
                          Look forward to seeing what else you produce out of the cupboard!
                          Ivy

Comment

Yes Ivy, I have the same mind when it comes to experimenting with my camera. I am a little afraid of making a mess if I play around with the settings. But I can alter it to B&W only after writing it down on paper and taking it with me where ever I go. That's kind of daft considering how long I've been using the camera.

I can't say that I understand artistic nuances, I can shoot something and my wife will really like it while I would throw it away.... then I would realise it was maybe all right after all.
                            So you can see that I attach the word amateur to myself with a capitol A.

Oh no, definitely not condescending Ivy. That's what I look on as a different view, and different views are what stops the world from becoming sanitised clones. Good on yer'!!

Actually when I take a shot of something I do take several in colour and several in B&W, it is after when I'm home that I look at what I've done that day that I choose what bests represents what I like. Photographing for me it's all about what charges my emotions of what I have captured that day, some shots can leap of the page at me while some I get disappointed with.

As with me and my obsession of all things old, I take my B&W shots of places I once knew and revered with huge pride that have been relegated to just a memory.
                            I don't know if this makes sense, but when I take the photo in my minds eye I see the past so acutely that I can almost touch it. Lunacy I know, but it's a passionate thing for me.

I'm very happy that the B&W photos are coming out all right, but hey' it's a passion thing!!

Cheers Paul

Comment

Here is another from my B&W stables, it is of our old towns power station long since abandoned as of 30 years ago. It is still standing, and know one knows why it has avoided the wrath of our bullsh"t councils demolition mentality. It has been standing for well over 140 years, and me.... well, I love the building.

Comment

Working...
                              X