Photo Assignment: The Moon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Assignment: The Moon

We have pictures of the the Moon spread over several threads on CVF. Time to create one especially for our closest neighbour in the Universe.
    Here is one of the moon as seen in daylight in Singapore 15. Oct. 2013:

And two taken 16. Oct. 2013:

Challenge: Tomorrow, 19. Oct. 2013 it is full moon.(The Autumn Moon) Let's see the Moon where you are.

Excellent idea, Ombugge, and that third one is very beautiful. Apparently my chance of taking one here is 38 minutes after midnight tonight, but I'm not staying up till then! I'll try a little earlier. So far, though, I've not been very good at moon shots, must get the so-far-unused-tripod out. Steep learning curve about to begin!

Later: No chance of giving the tripod a work-out. There has been thick cloud all afternoon and it looks like staying.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; October 18th, 2013, 20:07.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      Cloudy up here too…..

It may sound stupid but I am always glad that the moon looks about the same all around the world. It is one thing we all have in common.

Comment

Cloudy yesterday, but here is the moon over Oslo 18. October 2013

Ĝistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

FLYING OVER NORWAY, WAS THIS THE RED MOON.... ?

THIS IS WHAT IT WAS LIKE EARLIER ON

AMAZING VIEW

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

The moon peeping out from behind the clouds:

Comment

A hazy moon in Singapore these days:

Comment

Thursday night the Moon was moveing into the Earth shadow, making it to appear red. Did not stay awake to watch that, but was at the airport earlier and this is the pictures I took then

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Wow! Impressing! I love the airport picture with all the lights.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

There was a short but total Eclipse of the Moon yesterday. Here it is in 45 sec: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/110483/s...aa-45-sekunder

It would have been visible in Singapore if not for the heavy cloud cover at the time: http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/i...pore/singapore

Want to know more about it. Here is an explanation on the Blood Moon from NASA: http://www.space.com/28981-why-the-m...pse-video.html

Comment

The full moon rising in Singapore:

Comment

This last Friday the Moon was Blue:

It doesn't look blue to you?? That is because it isn't actually blue, it is a description for the last full moon in a month with two full moons, which happened this July, or when there are four full moons in a Quarter. It doesn't happen very often, hence the saying; "once in a blue moon". The next occurrence is 31. Jan. 2018, followed by a second one on 31. March, 2018.

Why does it happen?? Because the complete moon cycle is approx. 29.5 days while the months in the Gregorian calendar has an average length of 30.44 days.
                      The Lunar calendar, as used by many religions, will thus never have a "blue moon". This is also the reason why Ramadan is at different times of the year.
                      The Chinese shoots in an extra 13th month once in a while to keep the main festivals in about the same season. (I.e. CNY is always in January or February)
                      Last edited by ombugge; August 2nd, 2015, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        or when there are three full moons in a Quarter.
                        I think you mean four full moons in a quarter, don't you?
                        Ivy

Comment

And the new moon is red:

Comment

Has a strange feel about it, especially in the first photo. I don't recall ever having seen a moon as red as that.
                          Ivy

Comment

• nari
                            nari commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Reddish moons certainly occur in parts of Australia due to bushfire smoke but Norway doesn't have these regular Oz events...so? why red? Ombugge?

• nari
                            nari commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks. For some reason I thought it was in Europe....duh.
                        Working...
                        X