No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Gallery of sunrises and sunsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No particular reason why, but I suddenly remembered an image of Ombugge's that I saw ages ago but did not comment on. I've searched back and it is at #998.5 amongst a group of sunrise/sunset pics. that he was showing. This one showed a plume of snow blowing off the crest of "his" mountain - Sula. Amazing.
    When I look at Ombugge's photos of the mountains as seen from his veranda I try to imagine what it must be like to live amongst them and see them all around. My first taste of Norway (the second and last was the Kong Olav trip) was at a little pension on the Sognefjord. The house was right on the edge of the fjord and as the host showed me to my room I just gasped - it seemed as if I could leap from my window straight down into that deep, dark blue water. I never failed to stand and stare in delight each time I entered my room. Mind you, being woken each night at about 3 a.m. by the crash-clank of the ferry chains as it docked a bit further along, was not so delightful !
    I was partially crippled - fortunately only during a period of about 2 years - at that time, but was determined to do that holiday. Walking was not so easy, but I explored locally and did some great trips.
    Although a Londoner born and bred, there is something in me that longs to look up at hills and mountains, which seem to engender in me a real sense of being part of the land, a living landscape in which I am a small pebble (getting a bit moss-coivered now). but still a part of it all. East Anglia is known for its light - the great wide skies shine with it. Yes, I love that, too. But the land it gleams over, despite the brecks, the broads, the heaths, somehow is not the same for me.
    Bungay is, I suppose, a pleasant little market town, but inside me I have never belonged to it, despite living here over 50 years. On holidays down in the west country, as I drove off the M4 and south on to the M5 I would take a deep breath of satisfaction - of peace, relaxation. The Devonshire blood in me stirred and leapt into life.
    But I usad to feel almost the same when I was living in the New Forest for a few years. Leaving Waterloo station and heading away from London to my forest village, that same deep breath of relief would come.
    OK, I'm never satisfied.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I mainly look to a image, not if everything is in perspective.
      I agree entirely, it's just that the perspective element came up so readily in this particular photo.
      Maybe i have to look different to a image.
      No, Thijs, please don't start doing that. It is the "look to a image" attitude that produces the pleasure to be found in your photos. You always seek balance in what is to be seen, and surely that's the most important thing? It depends on your reason for taking the photo, doesn't it? If it's ship-spotting, then yes, you don't want other objects distracting from the vessel, whereas for composing a picture of a scene then your sense of balance sorts out the many objects.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
      X