No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Gallery of sunrises and sunsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panorama view from the bridge on VLCC Antarctica at Eastern Anchorage, Singapore 14. Jan. 2015.

St John's Island on the left. Singapore skyline at centre.

The sun is hiding behind the clouds:

Colouring the clouds over Sentosa:

It changes quick in the tropics:

And then it has gone:

But with a promise to be back tomorrow.

Comment

• Sunrise as seen from the bridge of VLCC Antarctica at Eastern Anchorage, Singapore, 15. Jan. 2015:

Comment

• Sunset at Jurong West Anchorage, Singapore, 31. Jan. 2015:

Comment

• We have had some colourless sunsets in Singapore lately:

A little burst of colour:

Then back to colourless again:

Singapore variety of the blue hour:

Comment

• so pity,shooting through a window while driving,otherwise this could had been a nice one.
            (nothing cropped,just a litle more colloring)

the same Sunrise,in the mist but useless,to many stuff in the foreground,the scratch on the window

best regards Thijs

Comment

• I've just emailed you a repaired version of that last one. But I don't think there is really too much stuff in the foreground. It does not intrude into the main part of the picture, i.e. the misty scene but, if anything, it frames it.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• I haven't noticed any really nice sunsets here in Singapore lately. This is the nearest to one:

Ivy will be happy to know that the "scary plant" has be cut down. It became too dangerous due to the large leaves it kept on dropping.

Comment

• Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Ivy will be happy to know that the "scary plant" has be cut down. It became too dangerous due to the large leaves it kept on dropping.
                  There, and I was just training myself to love it! Your sunsets just won't be the same without that looming over them.

Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At the moment the sun is setting in a NNW direction from my viewpoint. As the sun is now moving south the "scary plant" would have been more prominent at sunset pictures, at least until equinox. After that the sun will be setting more in a WSW direction and it would have been a feature at the right hand edge of any sunset picture.

Actually, the difference in azimuth of the sunsets from when the sun is at the Tropic of Cancer until it reaches the Tropic of Capricorn is all of 47 degrees as seen from any place on the planet. At equator it sets exactly in the west at equinox and at 23.5 degrees north or south bearing at solstice.

• Extreme weather in the north create extreme sunsets in the east of Norway: http://www.vg.no/protokoll/ekstremva...e-skyene/1919/
                  As "seen" from Singapore

Comment

• Another hectic sunset-view from the study window. I use Paint to take out the phone wire but otherwise that's how it was. The timing is just right for a week or so now for me to have a good sight of any colourful sunset - although I know there have been some good ones over to the right out of view.

P1190885
                    by Ivy, on Flickr
                    Ivy

Comment

• Sunset in Taizhou, China a few days ago.
                      I don't know why that damned Containership had to choose this time to leave the drydock anyhow:

Could it have something to do with high tide maybe?

There, that is better. A near Pakarang:

And thare she goes, at 1702 hrs.:

Taizhou is just about as far east as you can get in Mainland China, hence the early sunset. (Time zone based on Bejing, much further west)

Comment

• Sunrise in Aalesund 16.12.2015 was a long drawn affair.
                        First light at 0850 hrs.:

A bit brighter by 0935 hrs.:

Kind of daylight by 1000 hrs.:

At 1115 hrs. the sun is ready to show itself above the hills:

It's not every day there is any determinable sunrise worth the name, however.
                        Same scenario at 1000 hrs. 18.12.2015:
                        Last edited by ombugge; January 14th, 2016, 16:30.

Comment

• Welcome "home" to Norway, ombugge... a bit chillier here than Singapore I guess?
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Welcome "home" to Norway, ombugge... a bit chillier here than Singapore I guess?
                            Thanks. Yes chillier than Singapore but not exactly a "winter wonder land" at this night time temperature:
                            Last edited by ombugge; January 14th, 2016, 16:32.

Comment

• Sunrise in Aalesund this morning 27.12.2015:

And sunset 5 hrs. later:
                              Last edited by ombugge; January 14th, 2016, 16:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X