Photo Assignment: Gallery of sunrises and sunsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment: Gallery of sunrises and sunsets

Ombugge, in that second one, did you focus on the sky, because if so that would make the foreground come out darker than in reality, wouldn't it? Did you adjust the shutter speed at all? I'm just plucking up courage to experiment with shutter/aperture priority, taking several shots in quick succession but with different shutter settings, then studying the Exif afterwards to note the effects. One day maybe I'll progress to fully manual!
    But I enjoy juggling with the camera settings to get what I want. And I'm learning!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

One that I took late this afternoon at my back door, still quite warm here... Mother Nature knows best!

Here is another one, or should I say 5 of them I turned into a panorama.
      It's too large to fit the full 5000px on here, so I'll provide the link as well as the small image.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6052/6...e4d1a8db_o.jpg
      Last edited by SaintsFCFan; November 24th, 2011, 00:47.
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Ombugge, in that second one, did you focus on the sky, because if so that would make the foreground come out darker than in reality, wouldn't it? Did you adjust the shutter speed at all? I'm just plucking up courage to experiment with shutter/aperture priority, taking several shots in quick succession but with different shutter settings, then studying the Exif afterwards to note the effects. One day maybe I'll progress to fully manual!
        But I enjoy juggling with the camera settings to get what I want. And I'm learning!
        Adjust shutter speed??? Aperture???
        I use a small simple camera (Nikon Coolpix S9100) in Auto for nearly everything, but some time switch to "Night landscape", that is all.

Unfortunately this camera doesn't have a Macro setting, like my old Olympus, which I miss some time.

Since I am not "into" photography, in the sense of composing images or photoshopping the result, I'm not posting comments on those aspects, only on the subject in the pictures from time to time.

That is not to say I don't appreciate a well composed picture of the more artistic kind, as long as it reflects reality not somebodies fantasies.

PS> I follow your "366" efforts regularly as a good example of what I mean with the above comment.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          That is not to say I don't appreciate a well composed picture of the more artistic kind, as long as it reflects reality not somebodies fantasies.

PS> I follow your "366" efforts regularly as a good example of what I mean with the above comment.
          Ombugge, thank you very much for that comment, I despair so often that it really encourages me to read something like that. There are just a very few people who follow and really see what I try to do and that in itself urges me on to improve my efforts.
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Maria View Post

So do I!!! If I only could paint this.....
            @maria, you said it. Its lovely isnt it? Sheer luck getting that !

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            Looks like a squall is heading your way there, Capt.
            But no worries for a ship like yours I would think.
            Ombugge, you got that right, nasty one at that about 40 minutes after the picture was taken.. ship was ok though, just got pushed around by a couple of meters !

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            Plimsollmark, there is certainly a great beauty in your capture of the clouds and the soft gleam on the water from the clear patch of sky is subtle. I have just one small qualification - perhaps it would have been even better had the setting sun been a little further into the picture to give better balance. What do you think?
            thanks wherrygirl. well to be honest am taking these images when am on duty on the bridge and just click them as and when I see something outside that I like without too much thought put into it.

Comment

thanks wherrygirl. well to be honest am taking these images when am on duty on the bridge and just click them as and when I see something outside that I like without too much thought put into it.
              Knowing how long I take sometimes, fidgetting about to get it right, your photos are beautiful, Plimsollmark. I keep gong back to that one at #446.3 because of the light on the water - it's haunting, somehow!
              Ivy

Comment

Some more sunsets in Singapore, as seen from the office window. (I have a home office)

25. Nov. 2011 at 1817 hrs. :

At 1903 hrs.:

At 1924 hrs:

Comment

Yesterday's sunset as seen from the back veranda.

09. Nov. 2011 at 1857 hrs.:

1904 hrs.:

1906 hrs.:

1907 hrs.:

Things happen quick when you are close to Equator.

Comment

Today's sunset in Aalesund, at 1515:

Comment

Not exactly a sunrise or sunset but the clouds parted just enough to let some light in. Shot today exactly at noon.

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Sunsets from places I like … different colours and moods…thank you ombugge and Speedbird for those special skies and views across the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                          Not exactly a sunrise or sunset but the clouds parted just enough to let some light in. Shot today exactly at noon.

How simply stunning!

I love the way you take photos, like I've mentioned so many times before. Your images are so well balanced, well composed and they are always SUPER-sharp!

Seeing images such as these makes ME want to get better, and makes me head out with the camera on cold days.

Thank you so much for sharing!
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Summer time. A smooth Baltic, and the view from the cabin on a Silja Helsinki to Stockholm crossing.

I find it quite emotional to look at this one on a cold, windy night - it brings back such mixed emotions of not really wanting to be on the way back from North Norway to the 'real world', but also the breathtaking beauty of the natural world and anticipation of arrival in beautiful Stockholm and the run south the next day.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You drive all the way from Honningsvåg to UK? Any special stops on the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                                You drive all the way from Honningsvåg to UK? Any special stops on the way?
                                Yep round trip UK - Magerøya - UK every couple of years. Usual stops are Holland, Oslo (family - delivering shopping!) or Göteborg, then Bothnian coast or Inlandsvägen, Finland and there! Normally two ferries, 5 nights. Wonderful!!
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X