Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Gallery of sunrises and sunsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Beautiful, Paul. I love them both, but in that first one the delicate hairline streaks of the plane trails emphasises the fragile beauty.
    Ivy

    "To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

    Comment


      Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      Beautiful, Paul. I love them both, but in that first one the delicate hairline streaks of the plane trails emphasises the fragile beauty.
      I agree.... agree very much.

      Both are beautiful but the first one is really well balanced, especially with the dual flight trails!

      Thumbs up!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

      Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

      Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

      Comment


        Thank you Ivy & Jan-Olav, it was a fitting end to a lovely day.
        To be honest I didn't notice the contrails when I took it, the sun even though almost at it's end for the day was still quite bright and blinding me somewhat!
        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

        Comment


          Not quite sunset, but really not far off.
          The sun was displaying it's silvery fingers and casting down on a Saturday evening.



          This was the sun setting and casting an eerie glow through what seemed like a hole in the clouds.

          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

          Comment


            Only just caught up with this thread …so WOW! That River Trent sunset is a delight, and there was I thinking you must have been poised ready to click when those planes reached this perfect configuration!

            The sun behind that building from this spot is magical. It made me think about times of year and where the sun sets on the horizon. When I was doing daily skyscapes, there was an annoying period when the sunset was moving from what could be seen from the back of the house to the front of the house, going downstairs and outside lost the view completely, and by the time I’d walked to a good viewpoint, the colours had faded altogether! I think it gave me a real appreciation of what those builders of ancient monuments were up to, getting the sun in a special place at key times of year. Of course one knows these things theoretically, but that’s not the same as actually missing a sunset (in my case) or taking a wonderful image like this (in your case)!

            As for that latest “gap in the clouds”, I almost expect a cherub to peep out, like a ceiling painting in some baroque church!

            Comment


              Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              Only just caught up with this thread …so WOW! That River Trent sunset is a delight, and there was I thinking you must have been poised ready to click when those planes reached this perfect configuration!

              The sun behind that building from this spot is magical. It made me think about times of year and where the sun sets on the horizon. When I was doing daily skyscapes, there was an annoying period when the sunset was moving from what could be seen from the back of the house to the front of the house, going downstairs and outside lost the view completely, and by the time I’d walked to a good viewpoint, the colours had faded altogether! I think it gave me a real appreciation of what those builders of ancient monuments were up to, getting the sun in a special place at key times of year. Of course one knows these things theoretically, but that’s not the same as actually missing a sunset (in my case) or taking a wonderful image like this (in your case)!

              As for that latest “gap in the clouds”, I almost expect a cherub to peep out, like a ceiling painting in some baroque church!
              Thank you Lady C!! Oddly enough there are a few of us who stand there waiting for the sun to sink behind the Trent, to the local uninitiated we must come across a little strange.
              None the less, sometimes the wait is worth it. The building (Trent Port Hotel) is a great focul point for the sun dipping down, I took a closer photo way before this one with the sun looking almost like a nuclear furnace but with a over blown white central spot, but I didn't have an ND filter and I was never too happy with it. I'll put it up so you can see what the problem was Cecilia.

              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

              Comment


                Thanks for showing me…and yes I can see what you mean…lovely reflections at the bottom, but not quite relating to the rest, and even if “the rest” was cropped to make a letter-box shaped image it still wouldn’t quite work. But of course you realised the wider view would be the one to go for….and the result was wonderful.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  Thanks for showing me…and yes I can see what you mean…lovely reflections at the bottom, but not quite relating to the rest, and even if “the rest” was cropped to make a letter-box shaped image it still wouldn’t quite work. But of course you realised the wider view would be the one to go for….and the result was wonderful.
                  Your welcome Lady C!! I was stood roughly 300ft (91.5m) from the subject, it didn't matter how I tried to frame it through the view finder the result was the same!
                  But would it have improved it with an ND Filter?
                  Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                    Not quite sunset, but really not far off.
                    The sun was displaying it's silvery fingers and casting down on a Saturday evening.

                    This is strange: as soon as I saw this image, I started thinking on my time living in the UK, in Pool, Dorset, ..... think it was Belben Road.

                    Somehow this image connected me to that short time of my life. I have no idea why, absolutely no idea why, it just popped into my mind.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                    Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

                    Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                    Comment


                      It could be that the houses are similar, a typical town English arrangement really.
                      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

                      Comment


                        while we wait at the ''azura'' ,i'll take everything whats appear for the lens



                        sunrise at the gate of Rotterdam port
                        best regards Thijs

                        Comment


                          Very nice Thijs!! I love the glow on the water around the ship.
                          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

                          Comment


                            What can I say Thijs…
                            ...simply that this beautifully composed and delicate sunrise has just been declared my “Favorite Janihudi” ever!

                            Comment


                              thank you both.

                              my forehead gleams of pride,sometimes i have a very nice image.
                              best regards Thijs

                              Comment





                                Lofoten mountains as seen from Bodø one beautiful evening!
                                Walking in the shadow of the blues

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X