No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Gallery of sunrises and sunsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sun setting across the Trent Valley, although the scene looks warm.. it isn't, it was pretty windy and cold!

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Really fiery. Is that how it was, or have you enhanced it??
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Really fiery. Is that how it was, or have you enhanced it??
        Nope! The only thing I do is to crop it to my preferred size of 1500 x 1125 and "maybe" an adjustment if needed onboard the camera such as contrast, saturation, noise or brightness for certain photos. I usually stay on the settings I'm happy with, although this ISO & shutter thing still annoys me from time to time.
        The valley has a good layout for bouncing and bending light over and around it, quite how that works I haven't a clue!
        There was one I took that looked like a wall of fire rearing up at you. I have had all kinds of surprises with sunrises and sunsets, some say that the string of power stations have some sort of effect on the weather and other conditions. How true? I'm not that clever! lol

Wall Of Fire!

Comment

Just remarkable. So there's something to be said for power stations, after all!
          Ivy

Comment

I got out of bed this morning (thats something i usually never do on a sunday) to walk the dog with the sunrise over our little village...

Comment

All three are beautiful, Wesley, but my favourite is the first one because of its delicacy.

Do you really stay in bed all day Sundays, you lazy little .......... Just see what you've been missing all these years.
              Ivy

Comment

Now that's a lovely scenery worth getting up for, beautiful colours!
                Ah! Don't worry Wesley. I didn't get up myself until 8:45am, although I didn't get to my pit until 4am this morning. lol
                Ooops! You didn't hear that Ivy....

Comment

Originally posted by wesley View Post
                  I got out of bed this morning (thats something i usually never do on a sunday) to walk the dog with the sunrise over our little village...

This is indeed the best one, from a photographical aspect of things. The tree placed 1/3 from the edge is making it very harmonic, and with the detail of surrounding landscape, it's beautiful.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    All three are beautiful, Wesley, but my favourite is the first one because of its delicacy.

Do you really stay in bed all day Sundays, you lazy little .......... Just see what you've been missing all these years.
                    it's every sunday the same,around 11.30 he come out of bed,after we had call him.
                    last saterday it was;daddy will you call me,then i go out with you and the dog,to make images.

and thats want to be a truckdriver.
                    he has a lot to learn from his old (and WISE) dad
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

thank you all for the comments but dont listen to him ivy he isn't a hard worker like me.
                      he goes to work sit down behind the steeringwheel and goes home again, how hard can it be......

Comment

Originally posted by wesley View Post
                        thank you all for the comments but dont listen to him ivy he isn't a hard worker like me.
                        he goes to work sit down behind the steeringwheel and goes home again, how hard can it be......
                        But Dad said you wanted to be a truck driver! So you want an easy sit-down job as well, eh?
                        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          This is indeed the best one, from a photographical aspect of things. The tree placed 1/3 from the edge is making it very harmonic, and with the detail of surrounding landscape, it's beautiful.
                          J-O we agree once more on a favourite. Well, well!
                          As you have probably realised, I go for subtlety, and that's what appeals to me here. There is light, a beautiful light, but the actual source is merely suggested, not shown, and expresses itself in such a beautiful gradation from left to right. Against that gentle but so effective background the delicacy of the trees is superb, and as you say, the placing of the one tree nearer the foreground is just right.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; November 23rd, 2010, 11:56.
                          Ivy

Comment

In photography, I always read and learned about the Rule of Thirds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

But, a true experimental photographer, dares avoid these rules and actually make it work.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Lovely work, Wesley! Sometimes it's worth getting up!
                              (not even going to enter into the work debate--I live it on my own!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                In photography, I always read and learned about the Rule of Thirds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

But, a true experimental photographer, dares avoid these rules and actually make it work.
                                Yes, the thirds rule is always quoted at beginners in any form of pictorial art, like where to place your vanishing point. In Wesley's photo that tree is in the left third. I have not followed your URL, but if I remember correctly it is on the point of intersection of the lines that the thirds rule says the object should be placed. To be pedantically precise, only the right edge of the tree fulfils that requirement. But other things must be taken into consideration, mustn't they? By placing it where it is, and well to the left, it is so beautifully balanced by the long delicate tracery of the other trees in the distance, and its mass is also in delightful contrast to the glow coming from the unseen source of light just above and to the left.
                                To Wesley it "looked right" and so it is. I agree, experiment and "adjust" what the book tells you, use your own judgement and daring and see what comes.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X