Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we try a new photo competition again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we try a new photo competition again?

Should we try a new photo competition again?

Wadda'ya all think, should we give another photo competition a try again?

If so, could we have some good suggestions to theme, since my last couple of themes seems to have a low. Any suggestions are welcomed.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Proposal: Why not open a yearly contest divided in several topics? So everyone is able to prepare for the contest. In my opinion the problem with the monthly competitions was, that if you had no good picture fitting in the topic, you had no possibility to participate.
    But to prepare pictures for the topic "The best ship/landscape/building/people/sky/plane picture of 2011" would be interesting, no?
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Not a bad idea, Ralf. Granted, a year is long time to wait, but at the same time it would give those who want to enter a chance to build on and improve the pictures they take for the category/ies they fancy.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I kind of liked it the way you did it in 2010... How about making a poll for themes... collect a list of options and let people vote for theme every month? Let's make it really complicated with as many rules as possible :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Haakon View Post
          ......Let's make it really complicated with as many rules as possible :-)
          Should I take that as an attempt at being sarcastic...?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Jepp, Haakon is being sarcastic and not the least ironic..., and there is an english frase for that; sardonic.
            My point, and I belive Haakons, is that on every forum on the internet where someone has a photo competition, there are tenfolds upon tenfolds of members with one or two rules each which they want to be a part of it all.
            We can't have that. If we want a photo competition, we should play with the rules of the admin or else not.
            I belive one month is sufficient time to go out (or around indoors) and actually take a picture that fits the theme if we don't have it in our collection.
            All this said, I think you can read between the lines that I'm satisfied with the way we have our competitions and the way the themes and rules are made.

If anything:
            There might be someone who think one each month is too many, so then we perhaps should make 4 photo competitions per year (seasonal, meaning; you can picture anything you want as long as it's taken within our seasons) and if you like, a special competition before Christmas.
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I don't think we have too many rules.... there are places on the net with a LOT more rules and restrictions, not talking about the fine print. We have only a handful, and they worked well.

The problem is finding a theme that we can stir some interest in, and get people to participate in.

Setting up a competition, and doing all the work for just a few entries negates the reason to have one.

... and I also feel that when we participate in a competition, we must also not just throw in a random image just to participate, but a rather thought-through entry.

I have found a theme for this month, and will start the competition in a short moment.

Let's hope we have sufficient number of members that can imagine something that would fit in that category.

Comment

I don't think we have too many rules.... there are places on the net with a LOT more rules and restrictions, not talking about the fine print. We have only a handful, and they worked well.
                Totally agree with you, and in short this is what I tried to write: we shall have a competition, and the admin must be the sole rulemaker.

Now I must out in the world trying to find something to compete with in this funny theme...., starting in a way from scratch, with the letter A...., nothing more nothing less

Comment

wel ,the next 26 months we have a theme,so we can work in advance
                  i do hope not that we are gonna use those strange letters,you know ,with dotts or stripes above them or a line trough it
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                    wel ,the next 26 months we have a theme,so we can work in advance
                    i do hope not that we are gonna use those strange letters,you know ,with dotts or stripes above them or a line trough it
                    Haha..., you're correct

But you know;
                    Æ (like AE) is in my kristiansundish and in Jan-Olavs part of the country the same as the correct norwegian JEG, which in english is ME.
                    So, we could take pictures of ourselves if that letter were a theme.
                    Ø (like OE) is in danish the same as the english ISLAND, so there we might miss good images from the coastal environment...., or they might as well come if the letter I is a theme.
                    Å (like AA) is a norwegian dialect for ELV which in english is RIVER.

(How's that for a little evening norwegian language education?).

Then again, all images would come in M, I and R...., so what do we need Æ, Ø, Å for? Agree with you 'jani'

I have a couple of images for the A-month, but right now Photobucket is playing with me, so I can't upload(dunno)

Comment

oke that makes it a lot easier,i can handle this with just a small headpainekiller

but if i had his right ,i may not place a maersk vessel if the letter AE shows up
                      Last edited by janihudi; March 3rd, 2011, 22:11.
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

... you guys make me laugh!

Nope, it might be A this time, it might be B next time... or it might be something really difficult.

Comment

it might be B next time
                          Hahahaha...., time to prepare my "Balmoral" or "Braemar" images then...

(How I love this CVF!!!!)

Comment

Working...
                          X