Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6Di (on Nikon D60)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6Di (on Nikon D60)

I thought I'd add this lens into the mix for testing, as the title states it's a Tamron AF70-300mm.
    A few specs about it, or what I understand anyways!
    It's a 70-300mm, or 457mm zoom on a compact bridge camera.
    It doesn't have image stabilisation or have vibration reduction, but I found it to be very stable to use on the Nikon D60 and no image blurring which surprised me a lot!
    Something else which surprised me was lack of purple fringing from what is a sub £300 lens, I don't know if that is normal for a Tamron lens to work so well.
    I have read some horror stories about certain lenses and that includes some of the Tamron range. Obviously if the funds were better I would have plumped for a AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, but at £700 I think I'll pass for now!

Here is a few examples of the Tamron in action.

Fanning to land.

Black Headed Gull at Spurn Point.

I will put a photo of the lens itself when I have a few spare minutes.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Re: Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6Di (on Nikon D60)

That first shot is actually very good!

You have successfully captured the bird at the very right moment, and as it seems, in perfect focus as well.

Planning on buying this lens?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      That first shot is actually very good!

You have successfully captured the bird at the very right moment, and as it seems, in perfect focus as well.

Planning on buying this lens?
      Already bought it as I speak Jan-Olav! I am actually quite pleased with it's performance.
      I know it's not the top of the range, or even middle range, but for what I do it's perfect and keeps the cost down.
      It's not the fastest focusing lens around, but photographing birds is only a very small part of what I intend to use it for.
      More over, it's main use will be on aircraft and general hard to get objects and places.

I would say though that if people are on a smaller budget, this is a good lens to purchase for all round general long range photos.
      As I said though, it's not the quickest and it doesn't have image stabilisation. That said, a tripod more than compensates for that.
      The bottom photo of the gull was taken hand held... because me being the idiot that I am, forgot my tripod when I went out for the day.
      So it can be hand held with pretty good results, although it's not a quiet lens if your in a public place!

Overall: Good inexpensive lens that will get the job done!

Comment

I'm so glad for you: Congratulations!

May you get the best of images with the new 'babie' and may it serve you well many years ahead. I can't resist to add that I'm very exited to see your future images!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm definitely looking forward to getting some good images this year, and I've got some events coming up in the next few weeks!

Comment

Working...
          X