Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
18-200 mm lense - pros and cons from you experts out there, please. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18-200 mm lense - pros and cons from you experts out there, please.

You regulars in here know all about my trouble with dust in camera.
    I already used NOK 1.440,- cleaning my Pentax and what do you know, there's a dust spot there again!
    I'm getting fed up changing lenses, and to "retire" my 18-55 and 50-200, I'm seriously thinking about buying a Tamron 18-200mm.
    That should cover my needs without having to change lenses.
    Agree or not???
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: 18-200 mm lense - pros and cons from you experts out there, please.

Getting a 18-200 would surely be a comfortable solution. Not only for get rid of the hassle changing lenses, but also for reducing the amount of gear you have to bring with you. These "super zooms" tend to have some compromises when it comes to image quality. However, the only person that have an answer to the question "is it good enough" is you.

Is it really necessary to bring the camera to a technician to get rid of the dust? I've always used those blow clean bellows with good results and never have sent away any of my DSLR's for cleaning despite the fact that I'm doing quite many lens changes in the field.

I have one similar to this:
    http://www.fotovideo.no/Avdelinger/P...10-103970.aspx

Comment

Thank you so much, Tommi!!
      You know, there's a limit to how far I will go in compromising quality, as increased quality was one of the reasons why I jumped from compact camera to DSLR.

No, it's not necessary to send my camera to the cleaner, as I also use one of those blow bellows, and I also have that dust removal thing on my camera.
      But no matter what I do, this grain of dust seems glued to the sensor.

Thanks for your comments though

Comment

I have thought a bit about that Tamron, it just seems to be too cheap to be a good all-rounder.
        I would perhaps consider Sigmas 18-200 instead. It seems to be more well built and have received some awards in its segment.
        Probably all superzooms will still give you better pictures than a compact camera, but you wouldn't want to buy a new lens that is worse than your present ones?

Comment

I agree with you again, Tommi.
          The price of that Tamron struck me also, as I could purchase one for NOK 1.795,-....., and in the world of photography, that's almost for free...
          You see, I also have to consider to continue as is, because that dust grain is only appearant in fairly high f-number and if I spot one in a picture, I can easily "take it away" with my photo editing programme.
          The difference now is that I only have this one spot, whereas last time, the hole sensor were scattered...
          But again, thank you for inputs!!

Comment

I wasn’t sure when I saw your post last night whether I could really give a helpful answer…in any case you have just recently seen me in action with my camera in real life! I don’t take a lot of “care” with my camera! It gets rather thrown around, like its one zoom lens 35mm film predecessor did on field trips when the bulk/weight aspect mattered a lot. The one lens zoom still suits me, I take photos I might not “bother” to change lenses for, and I might not take my camera with me everywhere if I had more to carry.

On the other hand my lens for all its advantages has a lot of compromises – distortions and vignetting and so on, though it is only for some subject matter that I need any post processing to correct that. And almost entirely the only situation folk are going to see what I take is photos resized to 900 or 1000 pixels or so width on CVF!

You are much more of a quality photographer than I am Sterkoder, and I am glad Tommi came up here with really knowledgeable suggestions about exactly what quality lenses are available.

Comment

You are much more of a quality photographer than I am Sterkoder
              Oh, I've seen your photos...., and I have to disagree
              (But thank you)

Comment

Went over to my friend the professional photographer and camera dealer today, and had a serious talk.
                Also had a few words with his daughter, who came home from a few years in a photo academy a couple of years ago.

He/they would not recommend the Tamron 18-200 nor the Sigma 18-200, as they knew my quest for quality and sharpness.
                When I said the Tamron was so low priced I thought something must be wrong, they agreed. It had a too wide range for me to get satisfied.

Then I said that the Sigma was a bit more expencive and that this lense had won a prize or two, they also agreed, but:
                I could get a Sigma 18-200 which gave me sharp images and I could get a Sigma that gave me something I would not like.
                In other words, they ment that Sigma was better than Tamron in the 18-200 segment, but the Sigma was very unstable.

If I wanted sharp and high quality images, they told me I should go for the Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD.
                That lense would give me razorsharp images despite the wide range of 18 to 270mm.
                But now we have come to the main point, (beside letting me not change lenses all the time and thereby not get dust in my camera), the price...

The Tamron 18-270 is NOK 3.200,- more expencive than the Tamron 18-200(dunno)

That might have to do with the better optics, but also the fact that the 18-270 got picture stabilizer, but so does my camera house...

Comment

The dust problem is really annoying, I know too. I change lenses A LOT, but I have learned a few techniques when doing the swap (such as pointing the camera down, liiting the time the camera is "open", and I have also become a real professional at doing the lens-swap... almost like a sprinter). .

The real professionals don't change lenses often: they have two bodies with them. But that is an expensive solution.

When cleaning lenses (once a week), I use the kitchen table, but not after having cleaned the table vigorously first. I also place the vacuum cleaner near the area, as it will draw the dust towards the cleaner rather than the lens, or the body (be careful of the suction, the dust cloth has a tendency to be sucked into the vacuum cleaner also: if it does, it is useless to recover it and use it again).

Otherwise, make sure you have a good cleaning cloth (they are relatively inexpensive, I have a good one I bought at Clas Ohlsson for 25 kroner and it is really a good, anti-static cloth).
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you for good advice!!!
                    Me too clean lenses, filters and what not, but my main (and now only) worry, is that one and only dust grain on my camera sensor.
                    I've tried all to remove it, but I will never again open my mirror to get to the sensor. Last time I payed NOK 1.440,-.
                    Nope, I can remove that spot on my laptop, and I will most likely go for the f/3,5 18-270mm.

Comment

As I went to my camera dealer today to buy some desent batteries, I also had my usual chit-chat with him.
                      Before I left, he told me the Tamron f/3,5 18-270 Di II VC PZD has got a new price, almost 1.000,- less than what he first told me in July
                      (Right now I'm saving a little money for something else, but I told him (like a certain ex. californian governor) : I'll be back!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        As I went to my camera dealer today to buy some desent batteries, I also had my usual chit-chat with him.
                        Before I left, he told me the Tamron f/3,5 18-270 Di II VC PZD has got a new price, almost 1.000,- less than what he first told me in July
                        (Right now I'm saving a little money for something else, but I told him (like a certain ex. californian governor) : I'll be back!
                        Great.... ! 18-270 is a very good range (zoom) and f3.5 is not bad at all.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Drove a little bit faster than leagal over to my camera salesman Friday, to get him before he closed his shop at 16:30 and buy the 18-270 lense. (My bonus came through you see).
                          The thing is, he sold his last one to a guy Thursday, but come Monday he would order a new one first thing.
                          So, Thursday 23. February, I will get my new Tamron f/3,5 18-270 Di II VC PZD.
                          Hope to get it in time for a photoshoot Thursday evening, when I'm asked to be the photographer for a small article to the local paper from Norwegian Shipping Historical Society.

Comment

What on earth is a "Di II VC PZD"??? (dunno)

Great news! You'll love it!

Comment

From your smilies there, I take it you're playing a little game with me, but anyway, Di II suggest it is designed for use on crop sensor DSLRs. The VC indicates Vibration Compensation (although Pentax got that in the camera house) and PZD indicate it using a small piezoelectric motor which drives the focus via a gear system. A Piezo Drive.
                              It can be compared to the Canon micro USM system, but it's not that fast.

The full name is Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro PZD (without actually being a macro lense as we know them).

Yes Tommi..., I'm sure I'll enjoy the new lense and be happy not have to carry two lenses at all times.
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; February 21st, 2012, 21:57.

Comment

Working...
                              X