Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehp View Post
    Enabler! Just like a pusher selling drugs to a junkie!!!!
    No comment...

Then I can just lob a wad of cash at Pakarang, and say "go buy me the right stuff and come teach me how to use it"--
    Camera 1.200 US$ + First Class round-trip Air Ticket 2.500 US$

(Surely, there must be cheaper and better ways to learn how to use it).
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Camera 1.200 US$ + First Class round-trip Air Ticket 2.500 US$

(Surely, there must be cheaper and better ways to learn how to use it).
      Cheaper, yes....better, NO..............

Comment

Cheaper, yes....better, NO..............
        You are just too full of sweetness today, aren't you?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm getting crazy!!!!!!!!!
          (You guys must think I'm some kind of...., I don't know)

But the thing is, I've also discovered Nikon D3100.
          This has some of the handling buttons and ways to do things as the FujiFilm Finepix cameras.

As of today, the result in the battle Canon EOS550D vs. Nikon D3100 is 0 - 0.
          Wonder which one takes home the victory??

I just can't make up my mind. It's a lot of money....
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Eeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!
            I suppose it depends on how often you’ll be chatting to pakarang about photography!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not at all the best person to help; I just kind of get along with my Nikon D60 without much thought; I’ve ended up with just the one lens, like I did in the pre-digital 35mm days, (hence nothing from me in the camera bag thread!) and I’ve often thought I’ve never really justified the move to a DSLR from my old Panasonic Lumix FZ20. (Other than for ease of throwing distracting background out of focus when photographing penguin colonies in Antarctica –the reason for the new camera at the time! On the other hand I no longer had a movie mode which I’d had with the Lumix). I have on a couple of occasions tried out David’s Nikon D5000 (which does have a movie mode) and I appreciated live view and the swivel screen for a lying in the grass trying to photograph a dandelion against the sky photo, but again not the kind of photo I do very often!

I suppose all I’m really saying is to think about the sort of subjects and situations YOU want to photograph.

I’d better just shut up – we have lots of members doing really great things with interesting camera kit here on CVF these days, and I’ll look forward to reading their comments on your dilemma.

Comment

This is a really difficult question, that other brand versus Canon...

My best advice is to follow your own heart: go to a shop, try both cameras, hold them, touch them... and find which buttons/menus work best for you.

If you were in Trondheim, I'd let you hold mine...

For me, Canon is the ultimate, but that is 99,9% because that is what I have always had (20+ years).

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                Do I never learn NOT TO TAKE SIPS OF COFFEE WHILST READING PAKARANG COMMENTS?
                If my mind didn't live in the gutter, it would be homeless.....

Comment

..., oh..., your Canon...., camera

You know, this is something like me and mobile phones. Once a Nokia, always a Nokia!
                  But look at me today, iPhone via SonyEricsson.

It all depends on which brand you start your photography.
                  I want either a Canon or Nikon, but haven't started with any of them.
                  That's why I post all these posts where I can't make up my mind.
                  I'm down to two cameras now, and hope to go for one of them later in December.

Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee, E...?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post

Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee, E...?
                    Nope...every keyboard works better with a thin veneer of coffee sprayed over it.........

Comment

Now......, are you all sitting down...? E; no drinking coffee right now

Yet another chapter in Big S's selection of camera:
                      Went to a professional photographer with his own shop today. He's a Nikon-man to 110%.
                      I told him I'm thinking about Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D3100. There were pros and cons of course, but then he said; -"Do you really want to go professional for less amount of money??"
                      Then he had a package:
                      PENTAX K-x with 18-55 mm and 50-200 mm with Schneider Kreuznach optics.
                      Photobag, two 2GB memory cards, those two lenses as mentioned abow and batteries for NOK 5000,-.
                      Pentax is on their way up again after being run over by Canon and Nikon. As he said, Nikon is, and has been, treating their norwegian dealers badly, so even if he has been a sworn Nikon fan all his day, he will now go for Canon as his all-round brand.
                      Being interested in cinema as I were before, I also understand what he was talking about when he mentioned the Schneider optics.

Anyone, but specially maybe Jan-Olav (if you got some time to spare), please look at this link and tell me what you think. (Hopefully in a neutral manner, as the pro Nikon photographer salesman managed to do).
                      PENTAX K-x specs.: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2009/200918.html

Maybe you'll see me with a Pentax DSLR soon...

Best regards,
                      The Man who can't decide
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; November 24th, 2010, 15:14.

Comment

You should never thrust a Canon shop-man advocating Canon or a Nikon shop-man advocating Nikon. They are paid to do so. But a Nikon man advocating Canon and who will sell you a Pentax is interesting. And yes, the Pentax is a good camera. In the old days Pentax was a professional camera on Nikon/Canon's level, one of the 3-4 professional brands. (Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax).
                        I think what he offers you, is much value for your money.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp

You can read a test on this link.
                        Since I have been a Nikon man and is by now a Canon man, I would myself go for your initial Canon choice.
                        A Canon EOS 550 test from dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/
                        The Canon 550 has a higher score than the Pentax.

Bookmark dpreview and you will have uptodate reviews of every new camera coming. http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck.
                        Last edited by Sigve; November 24th, 2010, 19:06.
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---
                        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

I totally agree, Sigve.
                          That Nikon-man is very serious salesman, and has been around here in Kristiansund since forever.
                          Yes, he told me the story of the professional brands, and alongside Nikon and Canon, Pentax is now coming back at full speed due to their cooperation with Schneider. A brand totally lost when Nikon and especially Canon fired their largest PR-rockets, was Minolta.

I like the buttons, knobs and way of function of the Nikon and Pentax, because they are very close to what I'm used to in the FujiFilm Finepix.
                          I also like the thought of my photography mentor Jan-Olav being able to give alot of good tips if I choose the Canon and I like the thought of the Canon lense described in another thread...., but I NEED that Pentax 50-200 mm and after talking to a Nikon-salesman trying to convince me to by a Pentax....., I also think that is a good buy.

Also read the norwegian "Best i Test" review fronm Din Side: http://www.dinside.no/838183/pentax-k-x
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; November 24th, 2010, 21:01.

Comment

Will read both those links you provided S, and try (read TRY... not sure if I can make it, but I will try)... to come up with my opinion.

Keep your wallet closed for just a little more...

Comment

Jan-Olav, I appreciate it very much, as you and the rest of the readers to this thread must be SO tired of me naging and naging all the time about this.
                              I bet y'all want to shout: -"BUY THAT F****NG CAMERA!!!", but you see, I belive the reason for being like this is that I'm not a certain guy, like Nikon-guy or Canon-guy, from years back.
                              I'm about to use a huge amount of money to become either this or that kind of guy for the first time. That is what's making it so difficult.
                              Well, what can I say....

Comment

I understand this is a difficult choice for you, it is an investment and you do not want to be disappointed one year ahead.

Picking the right camera is essential, and that I fully understand.

I have read through the reviews you mentioned, and they are generally very good. But please do take these reviews with a little teaspoon of just, because when everything comes to everything, you are the one who should be happy with the purchase and investment. If you like it, if you feel it is right, you are the one to decide.

Personally, I would never go for a Pentax (yet). They may have come far, much further than a few years ago, but I still feel too confident with one of the two major brands (C or N).

One worry I have with the Pentax is it's storage medium: the SD card. I have only had bad experiences with those kinds of cards, but (and I repeat BUT), that was a long time ago, and they have surely been improved over the years. Right now, I prefer the CompactFlash cards used in Canon, because they feel sturdier to me and therefore safer.

I'm sure you noted that during video shooting, the autofocus does not work (nor does it on many of the other DSLR either,including Canon), and the point that the video recording will contain a lot of noise from the camera itself.

The camera has a good ISO range (6400: and 12800 uncalibrated - whatever that means), and as far as I can see, also the ability to choose your own settings in Manual mode (important in some occations when you want to learn what, how and why).

A question that also comes to my mind is also about the lens line-up in the future, in case you should win in the lottery and want to purchase more lenses. Does Pentax have a wide array of different lenses? You wouldn't want to lock yourself to a camera that can only use a few lenses, few lenses available.

The CMOS cencor in the Pentax is also a good thing to get, and this model does have that. That is a plus.

Well... it's hard to say what I feel, but as I mentioned initially, I would never go for a Pentax, but that is because I have never held nor seen this particular camera.

If I get out of the hospital tomorrow (cross my fingers), I will try to make my way down to Japanphoto in Trondheim, and if they have this particular model, I might be able to tell you more what I think after seeing it and trying it myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X