No announcement yet.

Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were in Trondheim, I'd let you hold mine...
    ..., oh..., your Canon...., camera

You know, this is something like me and mobile phones. Once a Nokia, always a Nokia!
    But look at me today, iPhone via SonyEricsson.

It all depends on which brand you start your photography.
    I want either a Canon or Nikon, but haven't started with any of them.
    That's why I post all these posts where I can't make up my mind.
    I'm down to two cameras now, and hope to go for one of them later in December.

Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee, E...?
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post

Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee, E...?
      Nope...every keyboard works better with a thin veneer of coffee sprayed over it.........

Comment

Now......, are you all sitting down...? E; no drinking coffee right now

Yet another chapter in Big S's selection of camera:
        Went to a professional photographer with his own shop today. He's a Nikon-man to 110%.
        I told him I'm thinking about Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D3100. There were pros and cons of course, but then he said; -"Do you really want to go professional for less amount of money??"
        Then he had a package:
        PENTAX K-x with 18-55 mm and 50-200 mm with Schneider Kreuznach optics.
        Photobag, two 2GB memory cards, those two lenses as mentioned abow and batteries for NOK 5000,-.
        Pentax is on their way up again after being run over by Canon and Nikon. As he said, Nikon is, and has been, treating their norwegian dealers badly, so even if he has been a sworn Nikon fan all his day, he will now go for Canon as his all-round brand.
        Being interested in cinema as I were before, I also understand what he was talking about when he mentioned the Schneider optics.

Anyone, but specially maybe Jan-Olav (if you got some time to spare), please look at this link and tell me what you think. (Hopefully in a neutral manner, as the pro Nikon photographer salesman managed to do).
        PENTAX K-x specs.: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2009/200918.html

Maybe you'll see me with a Pentax DSLR soon...

Best regards,
        The Man who can't decide
        Last edited by Sterkoder; November 24th, 2010, 15:14.

Comment

You should never thrust a Canon shop-man advocating Canon or a Nikon shop-man advocating Nikon. They are paid to do so. But a Nikon man advocating Canon and who will sell you a Pentax is interesting. And yes, the Pentax is a good camera. In the old days Pentax was a professional camera on Nikon/Canon's level, one of the 3-4 professional brands. (Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax).
          I think what he offers you, is much value for your money.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp

You can read a test on this link.
          Since I have been a Nikon man and is by now a Canon man, I would myself go for your initial Canon choice.
          A Canon EOS 550 test from dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/
          The Canon 550 has a higher score than the Pentax.

Bookmark dpreview and you will have uptodate reviews of every new camera coming. http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck.
          Last edited by Sigve; November 24th, 2010, 19:06.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

I totally agree, Sigve.
            That Nikon-man is very serious salesman, and has been around here in Kristiansund since forever.
            Yes, he told me the story of the professional brands, and alongside Nikon and Canon, Pentax is now coming back at full speed due to their cooperation with Schneider. A brand totally lost when Nikon and especially Canon fired their largest PR-rockets, was Minolta.

I like the buttons, knobs and way of function of the Nikon and Pentax, because they are very close to what I'm used to in the FujiFilm Finepix.
            I also like the thought of my photography mentor Jan-Olav being able to give alot of good tips if I choose the Canon and I like the thought of the Canon lense described in another thread...., but I NEED that Pentax 50-200 mm and after talking to a Nikon-salesman trying to convince me to by a Pentax....., I also think that is a good buy.

Also read the norwegian "Best i Test" review fronm Din Side: http://www.dinside.no/838183/pentax-k-x
            Last edited by Sterkoder; November 24th, 2010, 21:01.

Comment

Will read both those links you provided S, and try (read TRY... not sure if I can make it, but I will try)... to come up with my opinion.

Keep your wallet closed for just a little more...
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Jan-Olav, I appreciate it very much, as you and the rest of the readers to this thread must be SO tired of me naging and naging all the time about this.
                I bet y'all want to shout: -"BUY THAT F****NG CAMERA!!!", but you see, I belive the reason for being like this is that I'm not a certain guy, like Nikon-guy or Canon-guy, from years back.
                I'm about to use a huge amount of money to become either this or that kind of guy for the first time. That is what's making it so difficult.
                Well, what can I say....

Comment

I understand this is a difficult choice for you, it is an investment and you do not want to be disappointed one year ahead.

Picking the right camera is essential, and that I fully understand.

I have read through the reviews you mentioned, and they are generally very good. But please do take these reviews with a little teaspoon of just, because when everything comes to everything, you are the one who should be happy with the purchase and investment. If you like it, if you feel it is right, you are the one to decide.

Personally, I would never go for a Pentax (yet). They may have come far, much further than a few years ago, but I still feel too confident with one of the two major brands (C or N).

One worry I have with the Pentax is it's storage medium: the SD card. I have only had bad experiences with those kinds of cards, but (and I repeat BUT), that was a long time ago, and they have surely been improved over the years. Right now, I prefer the CompactFlash cards used in Canon, because they feel sturdier to me and therefore safer.

I'm sure you noted that during video shooting, the autofocus does not work (nor does it on many of the other DSLR either,including Canon), and the point that the video recording will contain a lot of noise from the camera itself.

The camera has a good ISO range (6400: and 12800 uncalibrated - whatever that means), and as far as I can see, also the ability to choose your own settings in Manual mode (important in some occations when you want to learn what, how and why).

A question that also comes to my mind is also about the lens line-up in the future, in case you should win in the lottery and want to purchase more lenses. Does Pentax have a wide array of different lenses? You wouldn't want to lock yourself to a camera that can only use a few lenses, few lenses available.

The CMOS cencor in the Pentax is also a good thing to get, and this model does have that. That is a plus.

Well... it's hard to say what I feel, but as I mentioned initially, I would never go for a Pentax, but that is because I have never held nor seen this particular camera.

If I get out of the hospital tomorrow (cross my fingers), I will try to make my way down to Japanphoto in Trondheim, and if they have this particular model, I might be able to tell you more what I think after seeing it and trying it myself.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    Jan-Olav, I appreciate it very much, as you and the rest of the readers to this thread must be SO tired of me naging and naging all the time about this.
                    I bet y'all want to shout: -"BUY THAT F****NG CAMERA!!!", but you see, I belive the reason for being like this is that I'm not a certain guy, like Nikon-guy or Canon-guy, from years back.
                    I'm about to use a huge amount of money to become either this or that kind of guy for the first time. That is what's making it so difficult.
                    Well, what can I say....
                    Do not worry about it: ask all the questions you want. As I wrote at the same time you posted this post, it is a choice you will have to live with for a long time, and if I can shed some light on your questions, so be it. Do not take such a large investment lightly, I want as much as you, that you will be happy with it.

Together we shall find the perfect model for YOU!

Comment

I'm so greatful you take time to TRY to help me out, specially now thet it seems you're still in the hospital!!! I want you out of there, healthy and fit for fight, you hear!!???

As you suggest, it's a large investment for me, that I want to last for a great few years at least.
                      You know, I can't have this discussion with Sigrun year after year after year everytime I find something I don't like with a camera.

I see you would never go for a Pentax, but I remember Pentax from way back as being the Canon of its time, to put it that way, and a very professional brand with good solutions and optics.
                      The Pentax K-x, for my personal needs, has all the features of the EOS 550D and the K-x is the only camera in the segment running on AA-batteries.
                      I have never had any problems with the SDcard and I could go a long, long way with that 50-200mm lense before I need a bigger one.
                      Then again, and it will be one of my many questions the next time I meet the salesman, it might be very expencive to expand my range of lenses as times go.

I should also say that I got another offer today:
                      The Canon EOS 500D with 18-55mm IS, 15,1 megapix CMOS-sensor, HD video AND a 55-250mm IS all for the cost of NOK 7995,-.

I just throw this in as yet another ball on the field...(dunno)

Comment

Now look what the test says:
                        http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/

and be happy you are not living in Kuwait:
                        The Kuwait government has banned the use of DSLRs cameras in public, according to a local media reports. The English-language Kuwait Times says the country’s Ministry of Information, Ministry of Social Affairs and Ministry of Finance have ruled photography with DSLRs should be used only by accredited journalists. There is currently no official confirmation of the decision, why it has been introduced or detail about how precise a definition of the term 'DSLR' will be applied. (18:51 GMT)
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---
                        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          ....One worry I have with the Pentax is it's storage medium: the SD card. I have only had bad experiences with those kinds of cards, but (and I repeat BUT), that was a long time ago, and they have surely been improved over the years. Right now, I prefer the CompactFlash cards used in Canon, because they feel sturdier to me and therefore safer....
                          Goodness what a surprise, I had no idea that your Canon used Compact Flash cards!!!
                          I haven’t had a camera with those since my Nikon 990 days, up to late 2004!

I’ve been using SD cards ever since (in the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and subsequent Nikon D60)

Never had any problem with them whatsoever in all that time – and I still have (and use) the original 512MB cards which cost a fortune back in 2004/5! In fact the Kingmax ones are even thinner and you would think more delicate than the other brands such as SanDisk.

I have bought 2 and 4 GB cards subsequently and this last year have use these for longer trips away from home, swopping back to the old cards for everyday use for my 365 project photos.

Comment

'Pakarang' said:
                            because when everything comes to everything, you are the one who should be happy with the purchase and investment. If you like it, if you feel it is right, you are the one to decide.
                            You know, even if I'm being open, to the very extreme some might say, and that I'm considering Nikon, Canon and Pentax...., there is, in the far, far distant, according to your quote above here, a low sound of a voice calling out: Canon..., Canon, Canon...., Canon.

So, that means I will never be satisfied until I get myself a Canon, I guess...

Comment

I would not worry too much about the memory type unless you plan on pushing the camera to it's limits taking fast bursts of many photographs. Even Canon has made their new 60D model to use SD cards. I believe CF cards currently are faster and I like their larger size since they are easy to grab and hold, but most laptop computers only have a slot for SD.

I do not think Pentax is bad, but with so many options at every price point from Nikon and Canon why go with a less than major brand. If purchasing a point and shoot I do not think brand is as important. When purchasing a camera you may have for a long time, and one where much of the operation and performance is for things other than the camera body like lenses, external flashes, battery grips... Going with one of the two major brands will give you the best selection of accessories and lenses at an affordable price and available at any camera shop on the planet. Go on a camera sellers webpage and look at the available options for each brand. If I had to pick a #3 brand behind Canon and Nikon it might be Sony.

I was previously Nikon but my recent dive into DSLR had me switch to Canon because: 1. I looked at the available lenses and their price. Canon seemed to have the widest variety of lenses and seemed to be less expensive than their Nikon counterpart. 2. My father-in-law also shoots Canon so we are able to trade and borrow lenses and accessories.

Comment

Going with one of the two major brands will give you the best selection of accessories and lenses at an affordable price and available at any camera shop on the planet.
                                I apreciate your views so much, Dane..., thank you!!

I see what you're saying and I tend to agree. I guess that's the reason for the distant "voice".
                                Also thought yesterday; why go for C or N, why not buy something unusual? Why do I have to go for what everyone else are going for?
                                But the Jan-Olav came and said; you have to go for the type and brand of camera that satisfy YOU...., and that's when I first noticed that "voice". I belive I will not be satisfied ever, until I go out and buy myself a Canon.
                                Walk into that Nikon-mans photo shop, ignore his skilled info and demand to have a Canon EOS 550D and a 70-200mm lense, and not consider the cost so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X