No announcement yet.

Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ever buy a new camera, what about this CANon?

As you see, several colors and different types of objectives.

You may already have guessed. I use NIKON myself.
    Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
      If you ever buy a new camera, what about this CANon?
      As you see, several colors and different types of objectives....
      Hehehe , rather a good choice for pakarang - a favourite camera and a favourite drink in one convenient pack .

And clearly the perfect new camera for Sterkoder, as apparently it comes supplied with a private plane! . . . ummmmmm interesting, I just wonder . . . well, he did just post some great aerial photos didn’t he . . . .

Comment

I did not see before me that I should write anything in this thread at this stage, just about a year after I bought my last camera.
        I bought my last FujiFilm Finepix after many of you helped me to decide.

Now, and for some months, I really wanted a more complex camera, a DSLR.

Today, after reading a lot about it, consulting friends and putting my personal needs into it, I can tell you that I've landed on: CANON EOS 550D.

I will not buy it right now, but wait until I know what the christmas bonus at work will be this year

Good or bad landing...., anyone...??
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I have nothing bad to say about the T2i (what it's called in the USA). You get the electronics and focusing of my 50D with a higher mega pixel sensor, less noise at high ISO and the ability to take hi-definition movies. I am quite jealous... once your Christmas bonus arrives. Until then I'm superior .

Comment

ASterkoder wrote:
            Today, after reading a lot about it, consulting friends and putting my personal needs into it, I can tell you that I've landed on: CANON EOS 550D.
            Excellent choice. Go ahead with your X-mas wishes!
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---
            IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Thank you!
              After reading what you quote me on one more time, it looks like you are not my friends in here (), but what I ment was I consulted on site, local friends...., as I'm sure you all understood

Comment

WOW what news! …though I am not at all surprised as I’ve always felt you were not completely happy with your present kit for your particular needs. Now lets hope Santa (or some sort of Nisse ?) will come up with that Christmas bonus.
                I don’t know anything about this Canon, but from what Dane says it sounds super. . . less noise at high ISO, and movies too!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  My aunt at Surnadal bought this model a few months back, and she is so thrilled with the camera. She is not camera-savvy as she says, but she does proclaim she can no longer live without it. She even goes to the length to say that she is angry with herself for waiting way too long to buy it.

I've read a few reviews about this model, and they talk very warmly about this model. It's going to be one of the best selling cameras Canon has ever made for the general public.

Summing it all up: I say go for it, bonus or not!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I might.
                    Now, this comes with a 18-135 mm lense, but do you have a tips for a good (crystal clear images) lense in the range up to 200 or 300 mm...?
                    Will Canons own lenses do or can I just as well buy a Sigma...?

Comment

I might.
                      You should.

Now, this comes with a 18-135 mm lense, but do you have a tips for a good (crystal clear images) lense in the range up to 200 or 300 mm...?
                      Canon's L-series lenses are off course the absolutely best you can get for money (as in a lot of money), but also the more affordable lenses are as good as any. I do not have any opinion on any particular lens, but Canon does make a lot of good lenses in that range.

The 18-135 is a good universal lens.

What you may need to consider is also the available aperture in the lens you are considering: the higher price one's have a grate f-value (2,8 or 4) which gives a totally different effect than what an f-value of 16 gives. The bigger f-value, the bigger depth of field: high f-vaule is perfect for landscape photos. A low f-value is good for portraits.

I will try to make, or find a good guide for you, describing these values and the effect they have.

Will Canons own lenses do or can I just as well buy a Sigma...?
                      Here I guess there is as many opinions as users. But please do read me correctly, Sigma does make some pretty decent lenses. They are a lot cheaper than those from Canon, and the difference in quality is sometimes difficult to see.

Generally, I favor lenses with a large barrel diameter because they require less light than those small lenses.

Do I make any sense?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The consumer lens (the type that comes packaged with the camera) is good. You will love it until you start zooming in and try to make that ship far away fill the whole frame. The 18MP of that camera will resolve much better than the lens so it will be easy to zoom in and see the flaws. It is not so much that the lens is bad. It is that the camera is so good.

Price will tell you a lot about the lens. There is no way to cheat physics. It takes quality glass (expensive) with high quality manufacturing (expensive) to make a good lens (expensive). I look at the camera body as disposable or something that you upgrade at technology advances. An old camera body is obsolete. A quality lens is always a quality lens. I view a good lens as an investment (but god are they expensive!).

I like The Digital Picture reviews of cameras and lenses. He is very honest about the good and bad points of every lens. Unfortunately most of the reviews are Canon or Nikon.

I would NOT buy a tele extender for a kit lenses. They are a cheap way to get more reach but they also magnify flaws in the lens. A quality lens can take it but a kit lens can not. You would be better putting the extender money to buying a longer telephoto consumer lens.

I do not have much experience with Sigma, Tamron or Tokina so I only recommend Canon lenses. That does not mean other brands are bad. I just have not used them.

If you can afford it I consider the Canon 70-200 f4 IS L to be one of the best telephoto lenses for the money. It is lighter, smaller and less expensive than the f2.8 version which the Captain recently purchased but optically it is a VERY good lens. It also has all the L lens features like a metal body and it is waterproof. If someone tries to rob you, you can beat them over the head with this lens then take their picture. In the future you can add a quality 1.4x extender that will make it act like a 98-280 f5.6 lens with very little change in image quality.

A step down my next choice would be the Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS for about half the price of the 70-200L and has a much longer zoom range.

Do not hesitate to look at other lens brands. Usually they are less expensive.

Comment

Yes, Jan-Olav...., your tips and info makes sence, always!

Among planespotters I've noticed that a 70-300mm is very popular.

Only time will show what comes, but finally (even if I bought the FujiFilm last year) I've managed to convince Sigrun (my better half) that no matter what the reasons were for buying the Fuji, what I really need to make one step further in my interest of photography is to by a DSLR, and happily she concur.

Over the years with my own camera, and mainly after I started my membership here at CVF and all of you showed me what one can do with a camera, I'm kind of fallen in love with photography as a hobby. Is that possible...., to be in love with a hobby?
                          Anyway, I enjoy it very much, and want some equipment whivh can give me more...
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; November 20th, 2010, 11:36.

Comment

It does make sense... photography can give countless of hours of pure enjoyment, especially if you dare take the camera the extra mile and experiment with it.

I've seen a lot of talents out there, MANY MANY talents... who have dared doing all kinds of shots.

Everybody have their own photography style and it's fun when you realize what style it is.

Can't wait for the moment to see you unfold the power you have within Sterkoder!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              Summing it all up: I say go for it, bonus or not!
                              Enabler! Just like a pusher selling drugs to a junkie!!!!

Actually......as long as I'm dreaming....while I LOVE my camera, I HAVE thought about moving to a DSLR...one that would let me adjust for nighttime moonlight shots.... more telephoto and macro....etc etc.

So what does that make me???? Co-dependent? LOL

Comment

What I'm praying for is a lottery win.

Then I can just lob a wad of cash at Pakarang, and say "go buy me the right stuff and come teach me how to use it"--
                                Well, that's my fantasy....and I'm sticking with it................................................

Comment

Working...
                                X