Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Stupid" question:

In my camera I have the option to lock on a certain type of batteries. I have AA NiHM, but had my camera set on "AA Alkaline".
    Does this have any influence on picture quality?
    I also wonder if I have the right sharpness selected. I changed from "Standard" to "Hard"...., but could not spot any significant changes.

Some of you might be tired beyond I don't know what when it comes to my camera-problems, but I belive we don't get any good answers unless we ask,
    and I belive we're in here to help eachother whenever needed...
    Last edited by Sterkoder; February 15th, 2010, 22:03.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I wonder if the battery selection is for the cameras low battery warning since each battery technology operates at a slightly different voltage and their voltage changes differently as they run low.

As for sharpness you probably have to enlarge/zoom very close on your computer monitor to see the difference. I generally make sharpness adjustments at 1:1 where the picture is 3 or 4 times bigger than my screen.

Comment

I agree with Dane on the battery issue... I don't think the battery setting has nothing to do with picture quality.

Thinking about your problem, which you mention happens more at high zoom, I think it is more a problem with DOF than anything else. (DOF= depth of field).

This is something which is also a very big problem with my MP-E65mm super MACRO lens. What I mean with a limited DOF is that only the part of the subject which is at one exact distance from the lens glass, will become sharp. All other parts of the subject which is either nearer, or further away (such as background) will be blurred.

The only thing that will help with a limited DOF is a steady hand (tripod) and a very low aperture setting (f16-f32), but that again requires more light/ higher ISO setting if light is not available.

Higher aperture settings as mentioned above is often used in landscape photography to get the entire scene sharp (the scene is in the whole picture), while portraits is using a low aperture (f2,8- f5.6) because you want the background blurred.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

So in short:
          the 'Auto' choice I used almost 100% in my old camera, can not be used in my new one
          Last edited by Sterkoder; February 16th, 2010, 23:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            So in short: the 'Auto' choise I used almost 100% in my old camera, can not be used in my new one
            Going manual is always the better choice...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              Going manual is always the better choice...
              Of course, for a pro or semipro photographer who knows what he/she is doing that is indeed the better choice, but I really enjoyed the 'Auto'.

Comment

Today, I discovered something I never thought about, and never did with my old camera either.
                I've thought about it for a few hours now, wondering if I should tell you, because it's so embarrassing:

You know, almost 90% of my pictures I take from the seat of my car. I do this because the situation allows it and because it gives me good support when holding the camera.
                But here's the clue; when taking pictures from inside a car on a cold day...., and the car cabin is good and hot...., need I say more??

Hint: this might be the reason for the blur in my images when using zoom.
                Last edited by Sterkoder; February 19th, 2010, 20:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  Today, I discovered something I never thought about, and never did with my old camera either.
                  I've thought about it for a few hours now, wondering if I should tell you, because it's so embarrassing:

You know, almost 90% of my pictures I take from the seat of my car. I do this because the situation allows it and because it gives me good support when holding the camera.
                  But here's the clue; when taking pictures from inside a car on a cold day...., and the car cabin is good and hot...., need I say more??
                  Sterkoder, you are on a roll today!!!

Another thing when taking photos from the car, and using the car as support: do you run or do you stop the vibrating engine?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    Sterkoder, you are on a roll today!!!

Another thing when taking photos from the car, and using the car as support: do you run or do you stop the vibrating engine?
                    Well...., no But I never use the car structure itself as support, and if I do, then I turn off my engine.

Never saw the heatwaves between my hot car cabin and cold outside air so distinct as today, and it dawned on me like a slap in the face that these waves has passed right in front of my camera lense without me seeing them.

This HAS to have something to say for the quality of images in zoom, I can't imagine else...

Comment

Road to discovery can sometimes reveal themselves at certain points.

We can't think of everything, so we rather learn something every single day!

Comment

While cruising in Alaska I had no trouble taking pictures. Then on my Panama Canal cruise I remember looking through the camera and wondering why everything was fuzzy? Than it hit me. In Alaska my camera was warm inside the cabin going out into the cold. No problem. On the Panama Canal cruise my camera and lenses were cold inside the air conditioning and when I took them out in the tropical heat and humidity fog formed on the lens. Luckily I learned to heat my camera with the hair dryer before going outside.

Comment

I can visualize Sterkoder in his car driving around the port with a hair dryer...

Comment

...as i stated in the other thread before: go and try to change this camera! You are not lucky with it. Go and get you into better moods (...or good vibs, and i mean not those of the car.)
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Discovered another interesting thing tonight. No matter the way of taking pictures, the ISO use 'Auto'..., but the auto setting is ISO800. This high ISO will result on grainy images, wouldn't it...?
                              Will try out something next time I'm in the city, and I will try to set my ISO to 200

Comment

Yes, that is correct... the higher ISO you use, the more grainier the images will be.

A high ISO setting is normally used for low light conditions.

A 100 or 200 ISO setting is more than enough for daylight, whilst in darker settings, the ISO can be turned up.

My Canon uses ISO 1000-1600 in auto mode, but still produces impressive shots: but that is because the processor is of a much higher quality than in a compact camera.

But I have to admit that I do agree with Ralf though: if you can't find a decent result with your camera, I would also have taken it back to the dealer. But first, play around with the settings and see if there is anything you might not have thought about: you are on the correct path, finding out and learning! Keep your course as steady as you now are heading, and you will soon find the secret... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X