No announcement yet.

Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naaah..... not lazy at all... I have always loved having more than enough zoom....

Without it, I would have lost so many wonderful opportunities that I would have made me turn insane...

Zoom is a great thing... using it to the full, I could zoom into the corner of the eye of a real Bengal tiger in a drive-through zoo in Thailand... no way, I would have gotten so close without a zoom.

But when it comes to the choice between an inter-changeable lens SLR or a compact camera, I'm most pleased with the photographs taken with the SLR. There is no doubt in my mind that the quality of a SLR is far superior than to a compact... the weight has always been a problem, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

me....

Comment

That was a good one
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          me....

Funny! Very funny!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ever since my wife saw that cartoon she has been saying "green square, camera go click".

Comment

I'd like to throw my advice in for the search for your new camera E. Not sure if you have bought anything yet.

Canon G9 or the new replacement G10 that is currently running at $499. Compact, and great image quality. Has decent zoom at 5X, a large 3" LCD screen, and boasts 12 Megapixel. There are a few additional lens that you can install on the camera that can give more zoom but do give the camera more bulk. But at least you have the option. While still a Point and Shoot camera, experts tell me that this is close to SLR quality without actually having one. It suited some of my needs and the lens was wide enough that i could fit the close up ships in the frame. Has RAW capabilities which doesn't compress the image quality allowing you to later tweek the image and then convert to JPEG or GIF, the result is an overall better image but I think its only noticeable on when you print large prints say in the 8 x 10 or larger format.

Nikon P90
              When you are demoing the camera in question be sure to take the Sony T-100 so as to compare. This Nikon is running at $399 and gives you an incredible 24x zoom, but is a little bulkier than the G9/10 - in part from the lens. You can almost fit that Canon in your pocket depending on what kind of pocket it is. The 90 also has 12 megapixel and a neat flip 3" screen.
              Both of these have decent stabilization that should out do the Sony due to its ability to overcome camera shake. Also, you can record half way decent video with these as well in case you find that option handy.

If you want to stick with Sony they have the DSC-H20 with 10X optical and a reasonable under $300 tag. The quality is below the previous two IMO but it is still an option for its price point and compact size. Hope this helps!
              Last edited by Captain RJ; September 1st, 2009, 20:27. Reason: typo

Comment

WOW!! Thanks Cpt. RJ-- gonna re-think this yet AGAIN!!!!!

Comment

Just came across the hilarious What the Duck today:

Comment

smarta$$..............

Comment

I'm twisting my head also...., trying to find a "step-up" camera.

After reading a lot about both Nikon and Canon today, I've landed on the following two:
                      Nikon D50 and Canon 450D

As of now, price not evaluated because it's not an issue, they are pretty much neck-and-neck...., but with the Nikon the width of a hair in front.

So, what do you say...??
                      (I know there are Nikon-people and Canon-people out there, but is it possible to be neutral for a couple of seconds?? )

Of course I also have to still consider to keep my Fujifilm FinePix S5500 for a longer periode of time.
                      This camera can use rechargeable AA-batteries, have a standard 37-370 mm lens, much of the features of the two cameras mentioned above (yes, it's true) AND it can make a video with sound ++
                      I also discovered that I haven't used it to it's full extention and capacity yet, because there are in fact a Tele Conversion Lens that can be bought to my S5500.
                      With this lens on my camera, it will equal 555mm on a 35mm camera.
                      (Haven't thought about that before).

I'm open to ANY input
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; December 30th, 2009, 16:40.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        So, what do you say...?? (I know there are Nikon-people and Canon-people out there, but is it possible to be neutral for a couple of seconds?? )
                        To answer the question first: No, I can not be objective....

For me, there has never been a choice: Canon has the best cameras, but then again, as you say, a Nikon user would say the exactly same with Nikon. I think, whatever you in the end choose, you'll be more than happy with it.

To be really objective, check out the price and quality of add ons as additional lenses, batteries, service pack and the shutter life of each model (shutter life is the estimated number of pictures they are designed to take before they are prone to wear and tear). The Canon 450D has a shutter life of 100.000 images... which is pretty much the standard, also the same as for my camera.

Comment

Just realised I had not made any response to your question Sterkoder. Not that I have anything really helpful to add, other than to say why I have the camera I currently have.
                          I went with my husband to Antarctica on Fram for his special birthday, and he has always had Nikon cameras (in both pre and post digital eras). I wanted to have slightly more telephoto capability than my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 for a trip of that kind (views from ship to shore, distant whales, icebergs etc.) and particularly better ability to have a sharp penguin and nice out of focus background – more easily achieved with a DSLR. (I’ve even been known to “photoshop” blurred backgrounds on some photos with old camera such as the last photo in post #16 in Cow Parade, not something you want to be doing very often, but the background to that photo as taken was so distracting)

So I went for the Nikon D60 like David had, but with an all-purpose zoom to cover all my general use with one lens. The idea was that in Antarctica I would also be able to make use of his many lenses, especially for the very telephoto shots, but I have to admit I didn’t very often do so.

In many ways I wish I had gone for Canon so as to have more informed discussions with pakarang!!! I must drive him mad with my Nikon instead of Canon, Paint Shop Pro instead of Photoshop, and a PC instead of a Mac!!!!

Oh and doesn’t Asimut have an Olympus, and ehp a Sony!!!!! But as we’ve said before, good photos are as much about the photographer as the camera, and also about getting used to the settings and capabilities and limitations of whatever camera you happen to have. I love that What the Duck cartoon.

Comment

I went to the photographer and his shop today, and I can tell you; there might not be neither a Canon nor a Nikon.

They presented me, or rather I spotted it in the shelves myself, to a brand new Fujifilm Finepix S1500 at a shocking low price of NOK 2.300,- (just over £200,-).

The main difference from my old Finepix S5500 is an upgrade from my 4 megapixles to 10 megap. My lense has a range of 37-370mm, whereas this new camera has 33-396mm.
                            My old camera has 10 x optical zoom, this new one has 12 x, and the ISO on my old camera has a range from 64 to about 1200 and the new one range from 64 to 6400.
                            The new camera also has a dual Image Stabilization, Scene Recognition Auto, tracking zoom (tracking AF) and a 2,7 inch LCD screen.
                            It can also make videos with sound and the ability to zoom in and out while filming and make macro pictures at a range of 5 centimeters.

This might just be my new camera, or what do you say...? Tell me what you think. I most certainly get alot of camera for the money, and it is nothing much deviding this from a real DSLR.
                            To get a Canon DSLR (for example 450D) or Nikon D50 I have to pay NOK 4.600,- (approx.) , but then I have to pay approx. up to NOK 3.000,- to get the lense range I will get as standard on a Finepix S1500.
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; January 4th, 2010, 18:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              I went to the photographer and his shop today, and I can tell you; there might not be neither a Canon nor a Nikon.

They presented me, or rather I spotted it in the shelves myself, for a brand new Fujifilm Finepix S1500 at a shocking low price of NOK 2.300,- (just over £200,-).

The main difference from my old Finepix S5500 is an upgrade from my 4 megapixles to 10 megap. My lense has a range of 37-370mm, whereas this new camera has 33-396mm.
                              My old camera has 10 x optical zoom, this new one has 12 x, and the ISO on my old camera has a range from 64 to about 1200 and the new one range from 64 to 6400.
                              The new camera also has a dual Image Stabilization, Scene Recognition Auto, tracking zoom (tracking AF) and a 2,7 inch LCD screen.
                              It can also make videos with sound and tha ability to zoom in and out while filming and make macro pictures at a range of 5 centimeters.

This might just be my new camera, or what do you say...? Tell me what you think. I most certainly get alot of camera for the money, and it is nothing much deviding this from a real DSLR.
                              To get a Canon DSLR (for example 450D) or Nikon D50 I have to pay NOK 4.600,- (approx.) , but then I have to pay approx. up to NOK 3.000,- to get the lense range I will get as standard on a Finepix S1500.
                              I'm no expert in this area, but if I were you I would not have hesitated to buy the new Fujifilm Finepix S1500.
                              You get a great camera with the necessary upgrades from what you have today.
                              And for that low price, there is no reason to hesitation.My advice:BY THIS CAMERA
                              Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

Yes, it might just be so.
                                You know, I'm mostly interested in 12 x optical zoom and the very wide range on a standard lense from 33-396mm (That is a very expensive lense if I have to buy it to comlete a DSLR camera).

Oh yeah...., and here it is, and click on the smaller picture to size them up and then to get zoomed pictures of the camera:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../S1500FDA.HTM#
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; January 4th, 2010, 19:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X