Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

I guess you're right, Thijs..., Christmas gift a little late

Have to have a period of testing and learning my new camera, because most of the settings can now be done via two wheels and two knobs at the right hand thumb and pointing fingers.
    Much is the same from the K-x, but there are certainly enough new on the K-5 II to have me rub my head for quite some time
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Congratulations, and a new lens too?

Comment

Thanks Tommi!
        The lense is the 18-55mm which came with the camera, weather- and dustproof.
        But you see, I'll do nothing with an 18-55, so until I find a sealed lense that suits my purpose, I have to use the old TAMRON 18-200mm.
        Saving up for an original PENTAX 18-something lense, but the weather- and dustproof lenses are few and their range are not to my liking.
        I would love to have a 18-270, but I guess the sealed one is 18-135.
        Perhaps that is good enough, as I can have my images pretty much zoomed up by cropping them, or...?

Comment

My Pentax K-5 II from post #201 died on me, in heavy rain in Trondheim 22nd September 2018, 5 years and 7 month after purchase.
          I've tried everything in MY power to give life to it again, because I loved that camera, but it is finally dead.
          It might come to life if I give it to a camera repair shop, but will it be worth the price?
          I guess this is my natural step up to full-frame and the Pentax K-1 II?

Anyway, I have now returned to my "life boat", the beginners camera Pentax K-X and here are three test shots from tonight, just to find out if this will suit me for now.
          Two things I don't like: the K-X can go no lower in ISO than 200 and there are no 'mirror up'-function when using the remote control.

​​​​​​IMGP2516 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP2517 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP2520 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            If you purchase a used body in Germany right now, you will pay at least about 350 € (3.500 NOK).
            And then you have to add all the equipment (objectives,bags, etc.), will that fit all to the K-1 II?? This body is in Germany about 1.700€ n(17.000 NOK) new.
            Just to give you some emotionless numbers, to judge between a repair offer, a used, but working chassis and a new invest.

Did you already filled the body over and over with rice to draw out the last rest of water?
            This sometimes helps on electronic platines. maybe you will have to disassemble it.

But i am writing this as the photographic ignorant i am...

Did remove 14 or 15 screws, all I could find on the outside, but the camera would simply not come apart.
          Tried to leave it with all hatches open for 24 hours on a heated floor, and for half that time on top of an electric radiator (made the steel camera body red hot, by the way). Nothing helped.
          Have not tried the rice-method yet though.

Call me picky, but I will not purchase anything used..., as long as I'm spending saved money anyway. Why?
          Because a camera, as far as I know..., and a digital one at least, will keep up with only an expected number of exposures. They say my K-5 II is good for about 100.000 exposures. Mine has passed 50.-60.000.
          Therefore I will preferably buy a camera and start at 0 exposures on the shutter.

And when buying something used, what kind of use has the camera been through? That's only one of my thoughts.
          And according to the Norwegian Law of Purchase (Kjøpsloven, for those who speak Norwegian), one only has two years to complaint about the purchase when buying from a private person, but five years if you buy from a professional dealer. That's also important.

For a good year and a half, I've also had problems with the contacts between the camera body and lense. Every now and then I get 'errored out' and have to loosen and tighten my lense.
          Don't have time for that when photographing a moving object.

I guess the result of all this will be me saving up for a Pentax K-1 II and a Pentax 28-105mm lense. (Have had thoughts about stepping up to full-frame ever since I got my K-5 II, so it might as well happen now).

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            ...collecting arguments... well, that is okay, you are moving towards a good decision.
            It will be expensive, but you will emerge all small and bigger problems - and you will go ahead in quality and possibilities. Good.
            Any useful advantage, if you look at the education of your daughter?? If even this -- much better!
            Last try to hold you back from spending your future pension (?): Ask for the price of a repair, maybe it is cheap (no, it isn't, and will it be really successful?)
            .... well, if big boys are thinking about a new toy - hopeless, they will go and buy it.

So go on, it is the best thing you can do.

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear about the problems, this is something that happens now and then for all of us. Generally speaking, I think that I send one photography item per year to repair or replacement due to some kind of problem (most common problem: lens misalignment due to shocks).

The rice trick sometimes is far better than just heat, you want to dry it, not heat it! :-)

Almost 6 years is old for a camera, in my opinion it's not worth to send it for repair, it's probably cheaper - or at least as expensive to buy a second hand K-5 II that actually works.

Very few of my photo gear was purchased factory new, the most are second hand or demo units. I have never seen any difference in the lifespan between new or used items.

It could also be a clever idea to use the same system within the family - then you can borrow lenses from eachother (she shoots Nikon, doesn't she?).

I've been thinking about the full-frame K-1 since its intro for over a year ago. Didn't buy then because I thought too much about "childhood faults" (barnesykdommer), as this was/is the very first full-frame from Richo-Pentax.
          Now, as they launched their K-1 Mk. II, I think I'll have a go.
          Call it "collecting arguments", but when you really want something, it's kind of difficult to argue against. I visited my camera dealer yesterday and ordered one K-1 II and a full-frame Pentax lense 28-105mm. Hope to get it all in a week

Comment

Sorry to hear about your failing camera, but sadly, this is something that happens once in a blue moon.

I have for the most part been using a Canon Powershot G7X Mark II for my photos in the past year, and by far, this is the very best compact camera I have ever tried/owned. I brought my Canon EOS 5D to Hong Kong and Thailand in September, but ended up carrying it around everywhere and only shooting 5 shots of the same subject!

I know this is also lacking a dead pigeon, but I'm seriously considering getting rid of the whole SLR-bag and its contents. It just doesn't get used anymore... it's perhaps my own fault, but it's just too much work to use it, download images to computer and such....

I have, as you understand, nothing valuable to add to your question, other than go for it. If you feel you want it, go for it... you only live once. If you can afford it, yes, why not?

PS: I saw that you already tried the rice-trick.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for supporting words, Jan Olav :-)

As you see in my post above, the K-1 II and full-frame lense are already ordered.
              I'm too much into photography to not carry a DSLR around, I enjoy taking pictures, I want the possibility to be creative with the camera, I want to think like a photographer and if I didn't have my job here, I would very much have liked to be a photographer.
              According to that, I have a daughter who just started her 2-year study at Norwegian School of Photography in Ila, Trondheim, to be a professional photographer, and we talk, snap, mail and sms photography all day long.
              Nobody need anything, except good health, food, a job and a roof over the head..., but I need a DSLR, that debate is over, finished :-)

And as for you selling off your SLR-bag and contents, I belive you should not think twice about it.
              We are all in different stages in life, interests change, we get new perspectives.
              Your gear will not eat you out of your house, so it does not cost anything to store it..., should the interest for such photography rise again.
              But why not make someone who want a good camera and lenses get it to work with?

I must admit; I use my iPhone as my only camera more than I did before, but using a mobile camera and a DSLR is two different types of photography.
              As I went to work in Sandnessjøen for 10 days in 2017, I brought my Pentax, but came home with 0 (zero) pictures on the memory card.
              In my iPhone, I had over 100 pictures from the trip.
              So you see, I can understand your thoughts about your EOS 5D and your trip to Thailand and Hong Kong :-)

And now, I went bananas in the camera store and ordered a Pentax D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW lense

Comment

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Christmas came early this year!

OH, holy night, oh, holy camera lens!

Ordered... as in meaning not received it yet?

That is a good zoom. Looking forward to see what you can do with that in the future - lots of great photos coming from a far, no doubt!

Congratulations!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, ordered in this case means not yet received ;-)
              I don't expect to take stunning images at once, as I've never handled such a lense before. But thanks anyway :-)

IMG_4790 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS on new "weaponry"..... !

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. Feels like I'm walking around with a ground-to-air missile launcher or something. I guess all that you see there including tri-pod weigh in at about 4 kilos +
            Working...
            X