Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice start Bengt!
    I just won a bet with myself....it was that the wreck would be on your first photo!!!

Comment

Thank you very much Seagull and Sterkoder for your comments.
      Yes Seagull you was right, the wreck is right in the shooting direction from my balcony so it had to be in the first picture

Comment

Re: Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

I've mentioned the dust-problems I have with my camera in a couple of threads.
        Today I delivered it to a professional cleaner in Oslo, so the old FujiFilm Finepix S-1500 will have to do the job in a couple of weeks.
        Anyway, I had a PM from Cecilia on another matter, and I promised I would post an image to show what I mean by irritating dust problems.
        The below image is the plain, straight from the camera untouched version of the nr. 1 picture of post #119 in the 'Cruiseships in norwegian waters 2011'-thread.
        I guess you can understand my frustration..., as this is at f/8.0 and it only gets worse as the aperture gets higher
        (Of course they are almost, or not visible at all at let's say f/5.6 and 6.3, but not all pictures can be taken at that level)
        Last edited by Sterkoder; June 8th, 2011, 23:48.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you for posting that “as taken” photo Svein. It now makes your problems understandable. Whereas in the example you mentioned before, because there was not such a large area of one tone it was not obvious to someone who had not seen marks showing in the same positions in the frames (and also there was some sky cloud detail which was not ideally exposed and confused the issue of looking for the dust marks).
          Yes, the aperture does make a difference; I should have thought to mention that.

I know very well how you like to achieve a perfect result with little or no post-processing, so I completely understand how truly frustrating this has been, whereas to some it might not have felt so big an issue. I hope that there will soon be good news.

At least you are not camera-less meanwhile…a good thing you had not sold your old camera .

Comment

OI!

That is a big dust problem indeed.... and to do a cleaning as well, is not an easy task. I have some problems (in addition to the camera itself), with dust.... but, I just can't find the "right" time to send it to cleaning... several weeks without a camera sounds like torture!

Had I been in Bangkok, I could have just visited Canon's service place downtown and have it done in 30 minutes. But now, it has to be sent somewhere.... annoying.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

We live in one of the best and richest countries on the face of this planet, yet much seems alot easier abroad!! (I will extinguish this debate right now, as I don't have time to dig into the matter).

Anyway, for me who has a spare camera (my old Fuji) it's not so much the time it takes to clean the Pentax that bothers me, but rather the cost.
              Minimum price start at around NOK 1.000,- (500,- looking at it and standard cleaning + 500,- p&p).
              Now, that I can take...., but then there are a leap in price I have difficulties to understand: if something else is to be done, a cleaning of the sensor other than standard, they talk about a price equal to buying a new camera house....

HURRAY!!!! (Jepp, it was irony)

Comment

Got trouble with dust again, in fact it showed not long after the first cleaning, and even if I bought and mounted a Tamron 18-200mm so that I should not have to expose the camera to dust..., it's here.

I wonder, does dust travel through the camera walls...?

Tomorrow I'm planning to deliver my Pentax K-x to the cleaners again, AND ask my camera salesman about the Pentax K-5 II.

A Pentax K-5 II, house only, will set me back about NOK 8.000,- but I suspect it's worth it.

What do you say, do you have or know of someone who has experience with the K-5 II camera (even though it came as late as October 2012) ??

Comment

My K-x was delivered for cleaning today, and upon doing so, the salesman told me that he will be visited by a representative from Pentax Tuesday morning.
                  He would then ask for a fair price on the Pentax K-5 II. Then I'll just wait and see...

Comment

After thinking things through for a few days...., I'm just off the phone with my camera salesman.
                    Five minutes ago I ordered my PENTAX K-5 II

Starting it all with AGFA Instamatic some 25-30 years ago, walking the way via a few other analog 'compact pocket' cameras, a couple of analog SLRs, two FujiFilm Finepix cameras and finally a PENTAX K-x entry-level camera...., I feel like climbing up a step or two.

I'm a self educated hobby photographer, and I want to do more with my photography. So therefore I want a tool which can make me do that.
                    The camera will be delivered in around a week or so, and the importer is now calculating a fair price.
                    (I'm so happy to have a camera salesman of the old sort in this city. Does anybody belive they could have a "special" price calculated at the chain dealers such as the Norwegian Expert, Elkjřp or what they are all called...?? I don't think so).

Thumbs up for small specialized shops and stores!!!

Comment

It's really great that you have this excellent service in your own town. I have made some tries with my local Expert-dealer, but they seem to have focused on mass selling products. They even had to special order a "normal" 77mm UV-filter. I don't mind waiting, but I got a bit negative feeling when a shop don't have knowledge, stock, fair prices or don't know where to obtain the stuff.
                      Expert in my nearby city was good when they still were in business, not too much in stock - but a great service attitude.

Even if photography really isn't about gear, It's always inspirational to get some new stuff. Congratulations!

I came to think about the dust problem of yours. Some lenses have a "bicycle pump" phenomena when zooming in and out. That could actually bring in some dust inside the camera even without exchanging lenses.

Comment

Even if photography really isn't about gear,
                        You are totally correct.
                        One well known Norwegian photographer once told me that you can make the greatest pictures with a point-and-shoot 'one time' (engangs) camera bought in any kiosk.
                        I also know one can make superb images just using a cardboard box with a pinhole and contact paper inside.
                        It's all about the person behind the tool.

Some lenses have a "bicycle pump" phenomena when zooming in and out. That could actually bring in some dust inside the camera even without exchanging lenses.
                        Hmmm...., interesting theory you're coming up with here. And highly logical.
                        This is because I seem to have collecting more dust even not changing objects, and I could not figure out why.
                        I got my PENTAX K-x back from cleaning yesterday, and my camera salesman even found hairs (!) .
                        I really look forward to receive a weatherproof, dustproof and sealed down camera.

Tommi, I wonder:
                        This possible vacuum you mention, do you think it would be so appearent if I zoom manually...?
                        I mean, zooming in 'Auto' makes the lenses move rather quick and thus could create a more powerful vacuum...., if you see what I mean.

And one more question for you, or any other who feel to comment:
                        Do you see it as an advantage to set the Dust Removal Equipment to shake whenever the camera is turned on, or not...?
                        The reason for asking is that once a dust object or several has stuck to the CMOS, it's better to know exactly where they are to remove them in a photo editing programme, than have them move around every time you use the Dust Removal (if they don't quite unstick, that is).

Thanks for the congratulation, I really look forward to the coming season!!

PS: As for chain deales like Expert, Elkjřp and such...., I've experienced salesmen NOT having any clue as to what I was asking about in the field of cameras and lenses, so MY way to the best camera salesman (who also happen to be a professionally educated photographer) in the city was rather short.
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; February 2nd, 2013, 17:41. Reason: Correcting my own english writing hickups

Comment

There are two kinds of lens movements, focusing and zoom.
                          Focusing can be operated by the camera, zoom is (almost) always manual. Some people believe that the problem is greater with lenses that extend when zooming/focusing. Some lenses have internal mechanisms for this, in other words the tube is always the same length.
                          I have been quite lucky to just have few dust problems, all of them solved with a normal blower bellow. I always have the auto sensor cleaning turned on, but I don't see a great difference compared to some older bodies without integrated cleaning I have had before.

Comment

Thanks for answering.
                            Focus/zoom....., it's not the same (I know), but it's not every time what I have in my brain comes through via the keyboard

Well, it seems like I would want my Dust Removal turned off then, in the future also.

Comment

Today...., an early Christmas Eve came to our house

(Don't expect miracles in the first few images)

Comment

dumb dumb dumb Svein,its a belate cristmas gift,otherwise you don't get any present with christmas eve 2013
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X