No announcement yet.

Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunlight, you don't need. A steady table, a level ground, a slow shutter speed and patience MAY VERY WELL also give you a lot of beautiful surprises.

Photography is all about capturing the light, or the lack of such....

I already see a great improvement in your first images when it comes to sharpness.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I've already noticed the improvement in your photos with the new camera. I can hardly wait to see what you do with it when you get some nice long summer days with time to be creative.

Comment

Photography is all about capturing the light, or the lack of such....
        I know that, my friend. It's just like (or something) like the way we do it in drawing, specially pencil drawing.
        People often say to me (or rather said, as I don't draw too much now); how do you manage to get that kind of light in your drawing?
        My answer is always; by drawing the darkness. Use the shadow...., and use the natural light that one often forget, the paper itself.

As you so correctly say, this is also the case in photography: light, darkness, shadow and all goes together like hand and glove.

I only wanted sunlight because I remember the bright sunny spring and summer mornings we have here, and I want to see some crystal razorsharp images from my own hands....
        (Rodde meg fint iland der, J-O? )

I've already noticed the improvement in your photos with the new camera. I can hardly wait to see what you do with it when you get some nice long summer days with time to be creative.
        Thank you, Dane! I hope I can get to take many great (to me) pictures with the Pentax, as I've made my decision and the Pentax will be my companion for years to come
        Last edited by Sterkoder; December 23rd, 2010, 08:39.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Finally, congratulations with the new camera Sterkoder.
          It is already clear difference from the old camera in the pictures you posted.
          Looking forward to the pictures from your new camera in time to come.
          Best wishes from
          Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you, Bengt!
            You know..., I'm always inspired by your razor sharp images from Tromsø!
            Hope I can reach your level some day...

Comment

Congratulations with your new camera, Sterkoder.
              I enclose a link to a test, stating that you choice was an excellent one!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---
              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

After taking just a few images with my new camera, I surpriceingly find it irritating to have to change lenses too often.
                My 50-200mm is no good when walking around down at Mellemværftet Yard, Bjerkestrand or any other places when objects are 20-30 meters away, and I'm sure you all know what good the 18-55mm is for..., almost nothing.

Now, I wonder about getting the Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3

So, what's your opinion on that?? Is it too wida a range in mm, or what?
                (I tried it at a friends today, when mounted on his Nikon D7000).

And what can be said about a 10-24mm wide angle. Is that a needed lense out there among you friends out there?

Comment

Changing lenses is a pain in the bung hole! Many photographers swear by prime lenses (only one focal length) but I even find zoom lenses restricting. It is funny though how one of my lenses becomes the star on each trip. In the jungle photographing animals I use my 100-400 while walking through Amsterdam my 17-55 was always on my camera but around home and my all time favorite "go to" lens is my 24-105.

I look at the range of the lens and for me less than 3:1 is where I think the lens is not flexible enough. I also place more emphasis on the middle of the range. A 10-20mm lens may have a 2:1 ratio but it only offers a 10mm focal length range while a 100-200 lens has the same 2:1 ratio but offers 100mm of zoom range. So, for me wide angle zoom lenses like the 10-24 just do not offer the flexibility I want. I gave up some wide angle and went for a 18-55mm.

When considering the focal length I also look at the aperture. When I'm doing wide angle I'm probably inside or somewhere light is limited so I want a faster lens. A 10mm or 20mm lens that only opens to f4 will be limiting. f2.8 lenses are more expensive but if it is the difference between getting the shot or not??? When I'm using a 100mm+ lens I'll probably be outside and light will be better so it's not so important to have the faster (expensive) lens, and I find that many of my outside, ship photos are taken around f8.

Comment

Thank you so much for feedback there, Dane!!!
                    As I don't take indoor images too often I don't have the need right now for a very fast lense, so f2.8 will just have to wait
                    A 18-250 would be great for me because I often take pictures across our harbour which is about half a kilometer wide, or other images where I need some zoom (you know, those ISPS docks are not built for us wanting to get close to our objects).
                    We'll see. Must get to know the equipment I already got first.

Comment

Changing lenses?

Changing lenses is one of the biggest differences between a compact camera and a DSLR. Bur as far as I remember, you only have 2 lenses (18-50 mm and 50-250 mm?)? It can't be THAT job? I think it is a question of getting to know your camera and getting adjusted to it.
                      If you settle on only one lens to cover you whole focal lenght area (18-250 mm), this most certainly will be an inferior lens compared to the two you have - unless you buy a really expensive one. The aperture area of f 3.5 to 6.3 suggests that this is not a high quality lens.
                      My personal favorites for zoom lenses are like this; 17-35 mm, 24 - 70 mm and 70 - 200 mm. And they must be f 2,8-lenses.
                      So Sterkoder; keep practising changing lenses - but remember that this is the easiest way to get dust on your CCD sensor!
                      The focal area 10-24 is an excellent one. My own experience is that I always wish I had a wider lens...
                      Last edited by Sigve; January 10th, 2011, 18:12.
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Yeah, changing lenses is indeed a pain in the butt, but (and there's the famous but again), a neccessity.

I have to agree with Dane when he talks about how strange it is that a particular lens become the lens-of-choice during a certain event. During my trip to Copenhagen, 99% of all the imags were taken with the 11-16mm Tokina lens. The 70-200 was rarely taken out of the bag, apart from a few occations.

Normally, when at home and going out for a walk, the 70-200 is on the camera, and the 11-16 in the bag.

They are both good lenses, but used for varying times in their own best.

I have found that changing lenses can also be fun though (have to convince myself of that at least), having nailed an image with one lens, it could be rewarding to nail it again with another lens.

I know it's a pain, but I bet you will soon get used to it.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

So, on the bottom line..., I might be quite ok for a while walking around with my 18-55 then, as long as I have a 200 ready in the bag

Comment

The choice of lens is all dependent on what you try to achieve.

I seem to be using the 11-16 by far the most, and the 70-200 as secondary. But, then comes summer and beautiful cruise ships again, this role will be reversed.

Comment

Since this is a thread for new camera, I'll just say that I have gone over to a new camera brand.

My Olympus E-510 has served me very well for over three years, but in the last couple of weeks I have had periodic problems with focus, so after careful reviews, I bought myself a new camera a Nikon D7000 with Nikon18-200mm, 70-300mm and a wide angle lens Nikon10-24mm or Tokina 11-16mm is under consideration.

I have only been trying it out a bit for the last days, but so far I am very pleased.
                              So now it's just to snap pictures and make me familiar with the camera at Easter.

Fantastic manual (book) that makes it easy to browse and read in.

So I hope that I get as much pleasure and more of my new camera than the old camera has given me for the last years.

I am now officially a Nikon man.
                              Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

Congratulations Bengt!

Can't wait to see your future works, knowing what quality we have seen from you before!

Comment

Working...
                                X