Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Jan-Olav, I appreciate it very much, as you and the rest of the readers to this thread must be SO tired of me naging and naging all the time about this.
    I bet y'all want to shout: -"BUY THAT F****NG CAMERA!!!", but you see, I belive the reason for being like this is that I'm not a certain guy, like Nikon-guy or Canon-guy, from years back.
    I'm about to use a huge amount of money to become either this or that kind of guy for the first time. That is what's making it so difficult.
    Well, what can I say....
    Do not worry about it: ask all the questions you want. As I wrote at the same time you posted this post, it is a choice you will have to live with for a long time, and if I can shed some light on your questions, so be it. Do not take such a large investment lightly, I want as much as you, that you will be happy with it.

Together we shall find the perfect model for YOU!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm so greatful you take time to TRY to help me out, specially now thet it seems you're still in the hospital!!! I want you out of there, healthy and fit for fight, you hear!!???

As you suggest, it's a large investment for me, that I want to last for a great few years at least.
      You know, I can't have this discussion with Sigrun year after year after year everytime I find something I don't like with a camera.

I see you would never go for a Pentax, but I remember Pentax from way back as being the Canon of its time, to put it that way, and a very professional brand with good solutions and optics.
      The Pentax K-x, for my personal needs, has all the features of the EOS 550D and the K-x is the only camera in the segment running on AA-batteries.
      I have never had any problems with the SDcard and I could go a long, long way with that 50-200mm lense before I need a bigger one.
      Then again, and it will be one of my many questions the next time I meet the salesman, it might be very expencive to expand my range of lenses as times go.

I should also say that I got another offer today:
      The Canon EOS 500D with 18-55mm IS, 15,1 megapix CMOS-sensor, HD video AND a 55-250mm IS all for the cost of NOK 7995,-.

I just throw this in as yet another ball on the field...(dunno)
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Now look what the test says:
        http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/

and be happy you are not living in Kuwait:
        The Kuwait government has banned the use of DSLRs cameras in public, according to a local media reports. The English-language Kuwait Times says the country’s Ministry of Information, Ministry of Social Affairs and Ministry of Finance have ruled photography with DSLRs should be used only by accredited journalists. There is currently no official confirmation of the decision, why it has been introduced or detail about how precise a definition of the term 'DSLR' will be applied. (18:51 GMT)
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---
        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          ....One worry I have with the Pentax is it's storage medium: the SD card. I have only had bad experiences with those kinds of cards, but (and I repeat BUT), that was a long time ago, and they have surely been improved over the years. Right now, I prefer the CompactFlash cards used in Canon, because they feel sturdier to me and therefore safer....
          Goodness what a surprise, I had no idea that your Canon used Compact Flash cards!!!
          I haven’t had a camera with those since my Nikon 990 days, up to late 2004!

I’ve been using SD cards ever since (in the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and subsequent Nikon D60)

Never had any problem with them whatsoever in all that time – and I still have (and use) the original 512MB cards which cost a fortune back in 2004/5! In fact the Kingmax ones are even thinner and you would think more delicate than the other brands such as SanDisk.

I have bought 2 and 4 GB cards subsequently and this last year have use these for longer trips away from home, swopping back to the old cards for everyday use for my 365 project photos.

Comment

'Pakarang' said:
            because when everything comes to everything, you are the one who should be happy with the purchase and investment. If you like it, if you feel it is right, you are the one to decide.
            You know, even if I'm being open, to the very extreme some might say, and that I'm considering Nikon, Canon and Pentax...., there is, in the far, far distant, according to your quote above here, a low sound of a voice calling out: Canon..., Canon, Canon...., Canon.

So, that means I will never be satisfied until I get myself a Canon, I guess...

Comment

I would not worry too much about the memory type unless you plan on pushing the camera to it's limits taking fast bursts of many photographs. Even Canon has made their new 60D model to use SD cards. I believe CF cards currently are faster and I like their larger size since they are easy to grab and hold, but most laptop computers only have a slot for SD.

I do not think Pentax is bad, but with so many options at every price point from Nikon and Canon why go with a less than major brand. If purchasing a point and shoot I do not think brand is as important. When purchasing a camera you may have for a long time, and one where much of the operation and performance is for things other than the camera body like lenses, external flashes, battery grips... Going with one of the two major brands will give you the best selection of accessories and lenses at an affordable price and available at any camera shop on the planet. Go on a camera sellers webpage and look at the available options for each brand. If I had to pick a #3 brand behind Canon and Nikon it might be Sony.

I was previously Nikon but my recent dive into DSLR had me switch to Canon because: 1. I looked at the available lenses and their price. Canon seemed to have the widest variety of lenses and seemed to be less expensive than their Nikon counterpart. 2. My father-in-law also shoots Canon so we are able to trade and borrow lenses and accessories.

Comment

Going with one of the two major brands will give you the best selection of accessories and lenses at an affordable price and available at any camera shop on the planet.
                I apreciate your views so much, Dane..., thank you!!

I see what you're saying and I tend to agree. I guess that's the reason for the distant "voice".
                Also thought yesterday; why go for C or N, why not buy something unusual? Why do I have to go for what everyone else are going for?
                But the Jan-Olav came and said; you have to go for the type and brand of camera that satisfy YOU...., and that's when I first noticed that "voice". I belive I will not be satisfied ever, until I go out and buy myself a Canon.
                Walk into that Nikon-mans photo shop, ignore his skilled info and demand to have a Canon EOS 550D and a 70-200mm lense, and not consider the cost so much.

Comment

So, that means I will never be satisfied until I get myself a Canon, I guess...
                  But the Jan-Olav came and said; you have to go for the type and brand of camera that satisfy YOU...., and that's when I first noticed that "voice". I belive I will not be satisfied ever, until I go out and buy myself a Canon.
                  Walk into that Nikon-mans photo shop, ignore his skilled info and demand to have a Canon EOS 550D and a 70-200mm lense, and not consider the cost so much.
                  Dearest Sterkoder, don't misunderstand me wrong. Canon is good, maybe not the best, it all depends on the user. You might end up being perfectly happy with the Pentax, and in a years time, not even be able to see the difference.

All I want, is that one year from now, I do not want you to find out that you should have one with the other brand (whatever the other brand is), and have to make a new discussion with the "cashier at home" and that you have to justify another big expenditure (I know how difficult that might be, believe me).

When I say, you are the one who is going to use the camera, that is exactly what I mean. As long as you are happy with the brand and camera, then that is the one you should buy. If you like it's buttons and it's menu's, then that is the right one!

An there is no undertone... at all.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I do agree with you, Jan-Olav...., and the "voice" I'm talking about is not you, it's the distant voice in my head shouting Canon....

One major pluss if I decide on a Canon, is the support one can get all over and not the least the possibility to interchange (borrow from friends) a lense every now and then if I need to, as Dane say.

There must be something to Canon, because why does so many people on this earth walk around with a Canon DSLR??? Is it just the PR campagne in every media Canon runs all the time, or is it really THE brand of camera.

There are 10.000 questions in my head, and not only do I want to adress the "cashier at home" in a year, but I don't want to start all over in this thread again either, ever...

Maybe I should follow my heart, because before we (I, sorry) started all this discussions, I told you I wanted to buy a Canon, so...

I don't want to walk around with a Pentax around my neck with my mind and head filled up with Canon.
                    This is like choosing between two ***y girls. You never know what will happen a year after moving together (Or something like that).

If I had walked in and bought myself a Canon that day a year or so ago, without telling anyone, I would've been a Canon-guy today and we would not have had this endless process of thinking on my side.
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 25th, 2010, 12:34.

Comment

I love your self irony so much... you make me smile!

It's always like this with me as well... should I or should I not.... especially when it comes to electronics.

And typically, when I buy something, a short while after, a new model is released. I guess it's the law of economics.

When I tried thinking what I should do with my aging 35-350 lens which was no longer giving me super sharp images, I had two choices: service it or buy a new one.

The new one, the latest model I wanted, because I can't simply never settle for anything less than the best quality (I am a man after all) was REALLY expensive... I mean really really really expensive. Needless to say, I took a plunge, and do not regret it for a second now. It was worth every penny.

I know in myself, I had the very same thoughts that you have in your head right now. I could have bought the older version of the lens and saved a lot, but, I know that afterwards, the new lens would still remain in my mind... why didn't I go for it in the first place?. Now, I have the best lens money can buy, and I do not even spend a second thinking about the cheaper and older version.

Comment

I love your self irony so much... you make me smile!
                        Thank you, it's my pleasure!!

You know, self irony is such a great gift. I'm glad I have tons of it...

Comment

Today, in a coffee break, a colleague went out and (based on my info to a certain extent) bought himself a Canon EOS 550D.
                          I held it in my hands and felt it in every way for almost the entire lunch break.

So, am I in love??

Nope, not to the point I was expecting. Of course, fresh out of the dealers shelf there were no charged battery, so we didn't get to actually push the trigger, but I'm not quite sure if I liked the grip.
                          That scares me, because overall it might be almost the same grip on all DSLRs, no matter brand or type.

This could be rather interesting.
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; November 26th, 2010, 16:03.

Comment

The final issue with a DSLR is the size and weight. Will you still want to take it with you on vacation and carry it all day when you go walking around town? It will do no good if you leave it behind because it's too big. There are many on this board who take wonderful pictures with small cameras. I think the most important thing is that you take it with you and use it. I know several people who have nice DSLR's and they always leave them behind.

I have gone through phases. I have traveled a lot. I came to the point of thinking. I am not carrying any camera. I'll just keep the pictures in my mind. It was a trip to Alaska several years ago that changed me back to a camera person. I had a point & shoot with me and I worked it to death. It took good shots but it told me I wanted something more. Now, I know that the camera is coming with me and it just comes down to "will I bring all my lenses"? It's a philosophy change. Previously when my wife was taking a nap I was bored. Now, as long as I have my camera there is something to do. Nothing to do, grab the camera and go for a walk. It can give purpose to nothing.

Comment

The final issue with a DSLR is the size and weight. Will you still want to take it with you on vacation and carry it all day when you go walking around town?
                              No doubt!
                              When I say I wasn't completly satisfied with the grip..., I ment it was a fraction to small

Comment

That was one of my issues with my Xti (400D). The camera performed flawlessly but when I started putting big & heavy L lenses on it, I really wanted a physically bigger body for better grip.

---
                                Your search has slowly gotten me thinking. I'd love to have a second body so I am no switching lenses so often and I'm having a hard time deciding which body (never mind the fact that my wife says "what do you need another body for??? with an angry look". I'm commited to Canon because of the lenses I already own so that part is easy but which Canon body is prooving to be more difficult. I was thinking of getting another 50D for a good price since it's days are numbered but I'm shocked to see it's price holding solid. I don't see enough benefit in the 60D to have very similar performance with different controls since they moved all the buttons around on the 60D. The T2i (the camera your considering) is incredible for the price but it has the smaller body and I will be using it on my biggest lens. Then there is the 7D like the Captain has. Oh wow, what an incredible camera but I'm still chocking on the price. I'm having all this trouble and I'm only dealing with one brand. Throw in Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Samsung and Olympus and the headache only grows.

Comment

Working...
                                X