Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    So, that means I will never be satisfied until I get myself a Canon, I guess...
    Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    But the Jan-Olav came and said; you have to go for the type and brand of camera that satisfy YOU...., and that's when I first noticed that "voice". I belive I will not be satisfied ever, until I go out and buy myself a Canon.
    Walk into that Nikon-mans photo shop, ignore his skilled info and demand to have a Canon EOS 550D and a 70-200mm lense, and not consider the cost so much.
    Dearest Sterkoder, don't misunderstand me wrong. Canon is good, maybe not the best, it all depends on the user. You might end up being perfectly happy with the Pentax, and in a years time, not even be able to see the difference.

All I want, is that one year from now, I do not want you to find out that you should have one with the other brand (whatever the other brand is), and have to make a new discussion with the "cashier at home" and that you have to justify another big expenditure (I know how difficult that might be, believe me).

When I say, you are the one who is going to use the camera, that is exactly what I mean. As long as you are happy with the brand and camera, then that is the one you should buy. If you like it's buttons and it's menu's, then that is the right one!

An there is no undertone... at all.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I do agree with you, Jan-Olav...., and the "voice" I'm talking about is not you, it's the distant voice in my head shouting Canon....

One major pluss if I decide on a Canon, is the support one can get all over and not the least the possibility to interchange (borrow from friends) a lense every now and then if I need to, as Dane say.

There must be something to Canon, because why does so many people on this earth walk around with a Canon DSLR??? Is it just the PR campagne in every media Canon runs all the time, or is it really THE brand of camera.

There are 10.000 questions in my head, and not only do I want to adress the "cashier at home" in a year, but I don't want to start all over in this thread again either, ever...

Maybe I should follow my heart, because before we (I, sorry) started all this discussions, I told you I wanted to buy a Canon, so...

I don't want to walk around with a Pentax around my neck with my mind and head filled up with Canon.
      This is like choosing between two ***y girls. You never know what will happen a year after moving together (Or something like that).

If I had walked in and bought myself a Canon that day a year or so ago, without telling anyone, I would've been a Canon-guy today and we would not have had this endless process of thinking on my side.
      Last edited by Sterkoder; November 25th, 2010, 12:34.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I love your self irony so much... you make me smile!

It's always like this with me as well... should I or should I not.... especially when it comes to electronics.

And typically, when I buy something, a short while after, a new model is released. I guess it's the law of economics.

When I tried thinking what I should do with my aging 35-350 lens which was no longer giving me super sharp images, I had two choices: service it or buy a new one.

The new one, the latest model I wanted, because I can't simply never settle for anything less than the best quality (I am a man after all) was REALLY expensive... I mean really really really expensive. Needless to say, I took a plunge, and do not regret it for a second now. It was worth every penny.

I know in myself, I had the very same thoughts that you have in your head right now. I could have bought the older version of the lens and saved a lot, but, I know that afterwards, the new lens would still remain in my mind... why didn't I go for it in the first place?. Now, I have the best lens money can buy, and I do not even spend a second thinking about the cheaper and older version.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I love your self irony so much... you make me smile!
          Thank you, it's my pleasure!!

You know, self irony is such a great gift. I'm glad I have tons of it...

Comment

Today, in a coffee break, a colleague went out and (based on my info to a certain extent) bought himself a Canon EOS 550D.
            I held it in my hands and felt it in every way for almost the entire lunch break.

So, am I in love??

Nope, not to the point I was expecting. Of course, fresh out of the dealers shelf there were no charged battery, so we didn't get to actually push the trigger, but I'm not quite sure if I liked the grip.
            That scares me, because overall it might be almost the same grip on all DSLRs, no matter brand or type.

This could be rather interesting.
            Last edited by Sterkoder; November 26th, 2010, 16:03.

Comment

The final issue with a DSLR is the size and weight. Will you still want to take it with you on vacation and carry it all day when you go walking around town? It will do no good if you leave it behind because it's too big. There are many on this board who take wonderful pictures with small cameras. I think the most important thing is that you take it with you and use it. I know several people who have nice DSLR's and they always leave them behind.

I have gone through phases. I have traveled a lot. I came to the point of thinking. I am not carrying any camera. I'll just keep the pictures in my mind. It was a trip to Alaska several years ago that changed me back to a camera person. I had a point & shoot with me and I worked it to death. It took good shots but it told me I wanted something more. Now, I know that the camera is coming with me and it just comes down to "will I bring all my lenses"? It's a philosophy change. Previously when my wife was taking a nap I was bored. Now, as long as I have my camera there is something to do. Nothing to do, grab the camera and go for a walk. It can give purpose to nothing.

Comment

The final issue with a DSLR is the size and weight. Will you still want to take it with you on vacation and carry it all day when you go walking around town?
                No doubt!
                When I say I wasn't completly satisfied with the grip..., I ment it was a fraction to small

Comment

That was one of my issues with my Xti (400D). The camera performed flawlessly but when I started putting big & heavy L lenses on it, I really wanted a physically bigger body for better grip.

---
                  Your search has slowly gotten me thinking. I'd love to have a second body so I am no switching lenses so often and I'm having a hard time deciding which body (never mind the fact that my wife says "what do you need another body for??? with an angry look". I'm commited to Canon because of the lenses I already own so that part is easy but which Canon body is prooving to be more difficult. I was thinking of getting another 50D for a good price since it's days are numbered but I'm shocked to see it's price holding solid. I don't see enough benefit in the 60D to have very similar performance with different controls since they moved all the buttons around on the 60D. The T2i (the camera your considering) is incredible for the price but it has the smaller body and I will be using it on my biggest lens. Then there is the 7D like the Captain has. Oh wow, what an incredible camera but I'm still chocking on the price. I'm having all this trouble and I'm only dealing with one brand. Throw in Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Samsung and Olympus and the headache only grows.

Comment

I like your input and view, Dane!
                    Have to come back to it though, because now is the time for this years second Julebord (pre x-mas party), this time with good friends in our local aero club.
                    Despite the back-and-forth, this has developed into an interesting thread.
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 26th, 2010, 18:59.

Comment

If it helps any to decide between Canon and Nikon I found out late one night in Amsterdam that you can beat a mugger over the head with a Canon and it does not damage the camera. I think having a quality lens with a metal body and lots of heavy glass also helps in this situation. Mount the camera on a sturdy monopod and you have a handy defensive weapon that takes good pictures.

Comment

Interesting story, Dane!
                        You know..., I think I have dicided on a new camera and lense today.
                        When I will buy it, time will show (the bonus was not what we had expected), but I can tell you this much:

Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm lense and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5,6 IS.

Heared so much positive about this combination now, and today I heared a professional photographer (not a Canon-man) say that the EOS 550D was "a wolf in sheeps clothes".

(Wonder for how many days I will have this standpoint?)
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; December 4th, 2010, 01:46.

Comment

I feel sorry for Janihudi. When I got back to the apartment I had to tell someone so he got a PM full of all my fowl words as I vented my anger.

A co-work of my wife just got back from Tanzania with a stop over in Amsterdam and he sent some incredible photos from his 500d and everything I read seems to say that the 550 is even better. Just buy an extra battery. I think you will be giving it a workout.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                            I feel sorry for Janihudi. When I got back to the apartment I had to tell someone so he got a PM full of all my fowl words as I vented my anger.
                            a late replay on this(leave wednesday mornig and came home friday eve at 11.00.

i had read your pm dane,but i can have that,i am used at this,(truckdriver, you know,they coplaine when you are to late or when you are to early)

i had that fear for your gear al the week, a big bag with photo equipment is intresting for those damn junks.
                            and it did happend to you,sorry for that,but thanks that every thing endded up alright for you,not for the junk.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Dane- I am glad you are OKAY!!!!!!! Silly, don't you know you are supposed to throw the stuff at them and not risk your life????????????????

(I wonder if your insurance has a crime/theft clause? You could have gotten a new camera.....*ducks head and runs swiftly away*.......)

Comment

NOW HEAR THIS!!! STOP PRESS!!! MIGHT AS WELL STOP THE WORLD!!!

'STERKODER' HAS LANDED!!!

Well....., I'm almost embarassed, because if you remember my #153, where I though I had decided, and asked for how many days my standpoint would stand...?

Today, 14 days after, that standpoint fell to the ground with a loud bang

Today...., after some serious discussion with my friend the photographer and camera salesman and his daughter (also a professional photographer), and after helding all three cameras (Canon 550D, Nikon D3100, Pentax K-X) in my hands and trying out different things to the best of my ability (I used almost an hour in their shop), I bought myself a new camera:

PENTAX K-X with Pentax 18-55mm and Pentax 50-250mm

Really hope I don't have to do this one more time...., at least not for many, many years

Comment

Working...
                                X