Hasselblad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasselblad

Hasselblad H3D at NOK 325.324,-......., what do you get...?

(I have 118 friends on FB, so if each one would spare me NOK 2757,- I could test it out )

The reason for this post? Beats me, but in every discussion about cameras, the names Canon, Nikon and ......., well, not much more, turnes up.
    Hasselblad surface only when someone talk about professionals, and I wonder why. It's just that.
    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 27th, 2011, 23:25.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: Hasselblad

We won the lottery twice this week... £10 (NOK 91) each time! LOL
    Next time eh'!
    Serious piece of kit though, I think I would be a bit nervous of even trying one out at that price!
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I have seen them in the catalog from B&H Photo. I just turn the page. There is no sense in looking for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        I have seen them in the catalog from B&H Photo. I just turn the page. There is no sense in looking for too long.
        Oh, I agree..., but what defends a cost equal to a norwegian annual salary...? Certainly not the design.

Comment

You've got to be at least a super special fashion photographer to justify forking over that kind of cash for a camera.

But I wonder, what is the difference between this one and the top model of for example Nikon or Canon?

Are the pictures really that much better?
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Don't know why the price is so high, but in the link below, we can do a 'mouse-over' test in comparison of an image taken with the Hasselblad H3D and a Nikon D3.
            I can of course see the difference, but does it matter to me, do I care...? Maybe not.
            Does the size of the CMOS, or what it's called, justify the prize...? I don't know, and in fact (just b y looking at it), I belive this is a camera that belongs in a studio. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling...

LINK to Hasselblad H3D vs. Nikon D3: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/h3d-1.htm

Comment

Interesting to see that link Sterkoder...

I have to admit I agree with you, I don't really see THAT much of a difference.... I mean, at least not enough to justify the huge difference in price.

Yes, the HB is most likely a studio camera, but still useable outdoors. I would think that a Hasselblad of such a caliber probably only are the preferred tool by real big name in fashion.

Though, having occasionally seen TV reality shows like Project Runway (not only because of the models, but more because I'd like to see how the photographers work).... , I see these people also use (for example) Canon EOS 1DMark III, and I don't recall anyone using a Hasselblad... so, the market must be very limited, I guess.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I use both Hasselblad and Canon (5D mkII) cameras. The Canon is a great allround camera, but the Hasselblad is "better" in certain areas. It depends on the application.

The bad news first:
                - Base ISO is 50 (100 on some models)
                - Lenses are slow (The normal lens is f2.8)
                - The Camera and lens weighs a ton, and cannot be used without a tripod
                - Cost, mainly due to the low volumes and big glass.
                - AF and capture rate are slow - it is not a sports or action camera
                - No dust removal on the sensor, not weatherproof.
                - poor battery life

Why bother?
                - Image quality - huge CCD sensor (not CMOS) without antialiasing filter.
                - All the lenses are stellar. There are no bad lenses.
                - No chromatic aberrations or distorsion. Sharp at the edges even wide open.
                - The files can be adjusted (light, colour etc) much more than the Canon files before breaking up.
                - Faster workflow (once you get used to it).
                - Flash sync on all speeds.

WRT to the linked "test"... Saving the Hasselblad file as DNG removes all automatic corrections for CA, distorsion and so on. But look at the "skin tone" on the D3... Is it really that bad? They must have done something wrong?

/Henrik

Comment

I AM THE CAMERA

The statue of Victor Hasselblad in
                  Gothenburg, Sweden

The statue is named after an episode by the passport officials in the US.
                  The border control officer asked mr Hasselblad if he had something to do with the camera.

Mr Hasselblad than replyed: "I am the camera"

Close-up of the camera

Ĝistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...a great photo of the sculpture camera, Ĝistein.

I really like the detail - and workmanship - of that statue.

Well photographed as well! Thank you especially for the camera-detail.

Comment

Working...
                  X