Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photography post-processing: right or wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no such thing as "real" photography with no editing. Even film cameras do not record "real" unedited images. The selection of the film has an effect. Some films are warm toned, some offer better contrast... Then there is the processing to develop the film which also imparts it's character onto the film. Some developing processes bring out contrast or shadow detail better than others. And don't forget printing. Again the choice of process, paper and how the prints are developed will affect the picture.

Go ahead and edit those digital pictures. Photo editing happens with EVERY photograph and you cannot stop it. It is just a question of how much.

Now I come to my most hated editing: HDR (high dynamic range). I don't hate HDR so much as how people over use it. HDR can be a very useful tool but too often people turn it up to 11 so it is very obvious and the HDR technique becomes a dominant part of the photo.

Comment

I really hope me not like sloping horizons turn CV into an unfriendly forum....???????

Oh well...., let me show you an image taken this afternoon when the "Kryssholm" sailed through our harbour. This first one is raw out of the camera

But that was not a good enough image for ME, personally. (If others have posted it, the situation would of course be totally different. Then I as a person couldn't have said anything).
      But since this is MY picture, I do what I want with it, and as I was not satisfied with the raw one, I adjusted it so that it turned out like the one below

I didn't like adjusting an image at all before...., now, it's a totally different ballgame
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        I didn't like adjusting an image at all before...., now, it's a totally different ballgame
        Aah-hh, lovely sky in that first one.....
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well...., let's just forget about my sloping horizons and adjusting and everything else....., before this kills anyones joy of photography

Comment

Thank you for your morale support and good examples, Sterkoder.

However; it was very silly of me giving (3 not too good) examples of how I can postprocess a (unsatisfactory) raw file. I wouldn't have done that, if I had known what ado I thereby created.
            I therefore beg everybody on my knees: Let's keep on posting the pictures we like to post - no matter what they look like - before we are starting to get unfriends!
            You post yours, and I post mine.
            Please.
            ---
            Regards; Sigve.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---
            IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Whaa, all I did was ask for a simple programme to straighten horizon.

I agree with Sigve et al. Let each member post his/her pictures/images in the RAW, or edited to whatever level they want and know how.

I'm NOT a Photographer so I will keep on shooting pictures and post them here "as is", if I think the SUBJECT may be of interest to others.

I will try to straighten the horizon though, if I have the time and remember to do it before I move the pictures to Photobucket.

If I should forget, I hope that will be forgiven too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                Well...., let's just forget about my sloping horizons and adjusting and everything else....., before this kills anyones joy of photography
                Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                I therefore beg everybody on my knees: Let's keep on posting the pictures we like to post - no matter what they look like - before we are starting to get unfriends!
                You post yours, and I post mine.
                Please.
                ---
                Regards; Sigve.
                Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                I agree with Sigve et al. Let each member post his/her pictures/images in the RAW, or edited to whatever level they want and know how.
                I'm still a newbie, but from what I see there's just no chance of anyone becoming non-friends over a discussion like the one here. Firm opinions, yes, but that's OK. And opinions can change.
                And Sturkoder, I just couldn't resist pulling your leg, man, at my post in no.33. That's why I used the emoticons to show you that.

I've a question to ask on colour bias, both in the old films and also in digi, but particularly on the former. Can't stop now, but will try and remember later because it's something that always puzzled me in the "old days" of film. But I must find the right thread for it.
                Ivy

Comment

And Sturkoder, I just couldn't resist pulling your leg, man, at my post in no.33. That's why I used the emoticons to show you that.
                  Just for the record:
                  I like the use of smilies, and in forums, we do have to use them from time to time just because we're not sitting in the same room talking to each other.
                  And of course I understood your post #33, my friend.

(It's just that I've said what I have to say about the subject, and consider myself finished with the topic).

Comment

I have got this problem with wonky horizons sussed - I only take photos on misty days!

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      I have got this problem with wonky horizons sussed - I only take photos on misty days!
                      Oh, ha-ha coward
                      By the way, are they dolphins or porpoises in your lovely misty pic.? And what is that at the left - have you trained them to pull things along?
                      Ivy

Comment

They were bottlenose dolphins Ivy. A small pod of them were playing around us while we waited for tide near the fairway buoy just off the Bideford bar. The thing to the left is the tail of one of them just going below the surface. At the time i did not have a memory card for my camera, so only had 16mb of space to use, hence the really low picture quality.

I recall that day very well, we had missed the tide by a couple of hours, so had all day to wait before we could go in. The mist got really heavy during the day, despite it being gorgeous weather. I was standing on deck peering out into the mist when i saw something appearing out of the mist, my brain for some reason told me it looked like the bow of a ship Without a second glance i shot up to the bridge, nearly falling through the door in my rush. I pushed past my skipper and grabbed the lever for the air horn and gave that a good long blast whilst dreading what i thought was about to happen. All my skipper could say was "what you do that for?". I explained what i thought i had seen. He looked a little bemused as he pointed to the radar screens - "ain't nout out there boy for miles!". So we both had a look out of the window, and in the couple of minutes that had passed, the mist had cleared a bit more. To my great embarrassment i found myself looking directly at the fairway buoy! My skipper laughed for ages about that! Boy did i feel dumb! The only excuse i could come up with is the fact that the buoy was on our port side when we dropped the anchor, and under the cover of the mist we had swung around with the tide during the day. So whilst staring out on the starboard side, my brain did not allow me to believe that what i could really see appearing out of the mist was the fairway buoy. Well that's my excuse anyway, and i will stick to it!
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The thing to the left is the tail of one of them just going below the surface.
                          Yes, I thought the black bit might be somebody's tail, but the white bit? is that a buoy? I love your story, great.
                          I'm driving down to my Glorious Devon on 4 June, for a fortnight and I've never seen a dolphin. Where's the best section of coast to see them, Steve?
                          Cheers
                          Ivy
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            Yes, I thought the black bit might be somebody's tail, but the white bit? is that a buoy?
                            I think the mysterious white bit is nothing more than a splash of water. I think the tail flicked up just before it went below the surface.

The best place to see Dolphins around the Devon coast? - that is a difficult one to answer. If your off shore a few miles you could see large pods of common dolphins on either coast. Last week the crew of the Lundy ferry spotted a large pod between Ilfracombe and Lundy. Nearer to shore i have only seen the common dolphins in the more quieter secluded areas - around Heddon's Mouth, Woody Bay etc on the North Coast.

The bottlenose dolphins are much more adventurous, but much rarer to find. In the past i have seen them in Ilfracombe harbour, and even in the busy waters at Salcombe and Plymouth Sound, one evening whilst moored alongside at Cattedown - which is a mile or so inside Plymouth Sound, we had one adventurous little chap come and spend an hour or so with us. Our RHIB was tied alongside, so we jumped down into it so we could say hello. He/she was happy to sit alongside the RHIB whilst we made a fuss of him/her. It loved having it's head stroked!
                            I have even seen a pair of them playing around at Appledore quay!, these brave souls having come across the bar at high water to get there. A few years back there was one lone bottlenose dolphin that lived along the coast near Combe Martin for a year or two. He was often in Ilfracombe harbour. And each time we made a trip up the North Coast he would always come and play at the bow. That one was always a show off, as soon as he heard or saw our boat coming along the coast he would always come charging over - sometimes from a mile away. And he always let you know he was on his way, jumping as high as he could as he came darting over to us. He would then always come alongside us jumping up out of the water - just to make sure we knew he was there. After that he would be happy to just play in and around the bow wave. If we hung over and looked down at him and shouted something down to him, he would always turn on his side, look up at us and chatter madly away to himself. He was very predictable, he would always pick us up just off Combe Martin, and he would always say goodbye when we got to around Woody Bay.

Anyway, i fear i have strayed wildly 'off topic', so i shall leave it at that!

Comment

Anyway, i fear i have strayed wildly 'off topic', so i shall leave it at that!
                              My fault for asking However, I really enjoyed your post, am copying it out and will take it with me, just in case. Thanks, Steve.
                              Ivy

Comment

Re: Photography post-processing: right or wrong?

*** bump ***

Anyone using this plug-in in Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture?

Color Efex pro 4

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefex...tro/main.shtml

http://www.foto.no/cgi-bin/articles/...rticleId=44266

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefex...p/videos.shtml

Any views on it's necessity?
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X