Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photography post-processing: right or wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well spoken, Sterkoder. (Yes, an "engangskamera" sometimes does the trick).
    And just to mention it: there are many great pictures on this forum - no matter if they are taken by photographers or by ship chasers with a camera. I'm myself a photographer who sometimes has free time and opportunity to do what I most of all like to do; chase ships (but, sorry, it's more and more far between the opportunities..)
    ---
    Regards; Sigve.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

A lot of good opinions here, and I just want to say, that weather we are professionals or amateurs, all images are welcome.

We thrive at sharing, and we love seeing whatever you all got.

BUT, if someone says my images are fake because I post-process all of them, then, I'm afraid that I'll be terribly provoked...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
        This little discussion shows us that for some of us; chasing a ship, shooting, and that's it – is the big thing.
        For others; chasing a ship, shooting, and then doing some computer work afterwards – is the big thing.
        The one doesn't exclude the other?
        Regards; Sigve.
        Using different words but with the same meaning that is what I said in my previous post at no. 4, see below:
        "Sterkoder, it depends, doesn't it, on whether you want a faithful record of what was there, in which case the art is in shooting to the best of your ability with regard to composition, lighting, colour, exposure, timing and heaven knows what else or whether the result you seek is an image resulting from a photo skilfully manipulated in software. Both are equally valid."
        But generally I agree with Janihudi when he says "i am still think that you make a picture as you see it, not how to remake it on a computer."
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well, from the earliest times, photographers have always postprocessed their work.
          Up to 20 years ago this happened inn the darkroom:
          By using soft or hard-working developers, by applying more or less light, by dodging and burning (applying light to parts of the photo paper), by using different gradations of photo paper (different contrast and tones), by heating (or cooling) the developer, and by shortening and lenghtening the developing time), they could post-process the picture into a wide variety of results, and into the result they wanted. This was hard work and needed a good knowledge, and was the quality mark of every photographer. (Some were sorcerers).
          Today you can buy a compact camera (where the post procession is done in the camera) and get a firstclass result without having to think about it..... (and then it's easy to post in the forum saying every postprocessing is "FY")
          The times are changing, but the question of post-processing has been there since Photography Day One. So I'm not ashamed of working on my pictures until I feel they correspond with the situation when I took them.
          ---
          Regards; Sigve.
          Last edited by Sigve; May 23rd, 2010, 22:32.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

"A picture straight from the camera is a piece of raw material and has to be processed in a proper way."
            ---
            So what would you advise I do with this bit of raw material?
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              BUT, if someone says my images are fake because I post-process all of them, then, I'm afraid that I'll be terribly provoked...
              (and then it's easy to post in the forum saying every postprocessing is "FY")
              i reken you`re pointing a finger to me,i dont care,my wife is shaving my back every night,so it slips right of again
              i didn`t say that they are fake,it is common now from garden magazine till the playboy,perfect images sells,or was it the for the good stories in it.

. Well, from the earliest times, photographers have
              always postprocessed their work
              Up to 20 years ago this happened inn the darkroom
              yes photographers done it,but the most of us are house ,garden and kitchen photographers and now there is the possebillaty to process them by your own.20 years back or even shorter in time you deliver you`re photorolls to a shop and pick then up some days later on paper,and that was where i refering at.
              you take a photo from something and hoped that the photo wil be perfect,the darkroomshop diddn`t do it for you.
              they print what you take.
              now you take hundreds of images,and trow away what issn`t right
              btw what is fy
              Last edited by janihudi; May 24th, 2010, 11:24.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                "A picture straight from the camera is a piece of raw material and has to be processed in a proper way."
                ---
                Nothing at all!!!!
                You see, there is nothing that say one has to process all ones images.
                But when a ship looks like it's running off a skijump and a building is sloping more than the tower of Pisa...., there's time to do something .
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

And by the way...., when you see this picture I took from 30.000 feet above Skagerak....., who can say that it's better not to process a picture????

Raw straight from the camera:

Processed with Microsoft Office Picture Manager:

And I have one more reason why I myself got convinced to process my pictures. Just look at these two images of hurtigruten departing Kristiansund.

Raw from the camera:

After two minutes in the Microsoft Office Picture Manager:

Now, tell me what's best: raw from the camera with no adjustment whatsoever, or an image with small adjustments...?
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Wherrygirl wrote:
                    Nothing.
                    If you are satisfied with what your camera gives you - why should you?
                    And even if you are not fully statisfied with the result, never mind. This forum is mainly a maritime forum about ships, this photographic discussion is a spin off.
                    My best advise is therefore:
                    Keep on pixing (= photographying), take the pictures as you see them - and post them!
                    ---
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Keep on pixing (= photographying), take the pictures as you see them - and post them!
                      Photographs, to me, are about sharing the content and event. Artistic and technical ability is a bonus. I say go with what you feel comfortable with, have the ability to do and also the time to do.

We can all learn from one another, I know that I am continually learning. If a photograph can be improved upon then go ahead and fix it- and post the result, but in a non-critical way

Comment

Nothing.
                        If you are satisfied with what your camera gives you - why should you?
                        And even if you are not fully statisfied with the result, never mind. This forum is mainly a maritime forum about ships, this photographic discussion is a spin off.
                        ---
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        I have no ships to offer. So........... I suppose I'm just fidgeting about on the fringes, well outside the mainstream. (No pun intended ) But I am genuinely interested in hearing what you would do with the camellia to improve it, and you have not given me any ideas.

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                        Photographs, to me, are about sharing the content and event. Artistic and technical ability is a bonus. I say go with what you feel comfortable with, have the ability to do and also the time to do.

We can all learn from one another, I know that I am continually learning. If a photograph can be improved upon then go ahead and fix it- and post the result, but in a non-critical way
                        I agree wholeheartedly, but Gaelsail, that is why I asked for suggestions on improving the camellia. What would all you others do if it had been your photo? If no-one suggests, then how do I learn from you ?????
                        That is not to say that I would follow up on your ideas for, as I've said, to me the challenge is to use any ability I have to get it right in the camera, with, thank goodness, the advantage digi gives of multiple shots without breaking the bank. But I like to learn these things.

With photos on a particular aspect of church interiors which I do for a personal project, I have occasionally tried to adjust colour bias for the sake of getting rid of too startling a contrast between churches which has occurred once or twice and does not look good in the series. Straightening also comes into it now and again when knees have started to ache, hands to shake and I think - oh !£"$%&^$.
                        But the camellia - ideas, please.
                        Ivy

Comment

But I am genuinely interested in hearing what you would do with the camellia to improve it, and you have not given me any ideas.
                          Your camellia is so good that I see no need to "improve" it by postprocession of any kind (Remember I said "many pictures" need postprocessing, not "all pictures"...)
                          But since you ask so directly; I would perhaps have tried to avoid the green "thing" in the foreground, so it didn't interfere with the flower. A clean foreground is often the best.
                          ---
                          Regards Sigve.
                          Regards; Sigve.
                          ---

Comment

and what is "fy"in you`re post,sigve?
                            i know one "fy",but if that is what you mean,wel than is cv not the friendly forum anymore.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

"Fy" is something you say to kids when they behave silly. At the moment I can't give a closer explanation.
                              In the given context, the meaning was and then it's easy to post in the forum saying every postprocessing is negative
                              I hope you still find this a friendly forum...
                              ---
                              Regards; Sigve.
                              Regards; Sigve.
                              ---

Comment

I'm actually quite thrilled to see how this subject has developed over a day or so... I do understand all your points, and off course, there is no right or wrong here.

Basically, the picture is done when you feel you have the right result.

I like to help the camera a little, because some images are for example taken in such a short time that composing, setting the right settings and so, wasn't possible due to for example a moving subject.

Like today, I photographed the Lofoten backing out from the port: it happened so fast that all I could do was to shoot at random, and then when I come home, see if I could in any way save the images from total diastser.
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X