What's your camera gear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your camera gear?

The reason I ask is that I am looking for something new. My current DSLR and lenses are big and heavy enough that I am no longer taking them with me on trips as I used to. The camera & lightest lens, the 17-55mm, weighs 3.8 pounds (1.7 kilo) which is taking the fun out of carrying it around all day. My TG-2 is indestructible and fits in my pocket but it's tiny sensor & lens just can't produce the quality I want.

I currently have:
    Canon 50D
    Canon 17-55 f2.8
    Canon 24-105 L
    Canon 100-400 L
    Olympus TG-2

Right now I am considering mirrorless systems as well as large sensor point and shoot cameras but really have no idea where I want to be on the scale of size versus performance. I'm hoping to get a little advice or feedback on how others like or don't like their current gear.

Try this. Small and excellent.
    Digital Photography Review: All the latest digital camera reviews and digital imaging news. Lively discussion forums. Vast samples galleries and the largest database of digital camera specifications.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

This might be worth reading. My first two cameras, and intro to the digital world, was Fujifilm Finepix S-5500 and S-1900 :-)
      At least it will take 1 kilo off your shoulders...
      Expert review of the Fujifilm FinePix HS10 camera with sample photos, test shots, videos and more...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I have booked a trip to visit B&H Photo in New York to get my hands on some cameras. It's one of the few places where they will place anything I'm considering on the counter in front of me so I can compare and try them out.

Right now I do not know if I want to keep my DSLR gear and find something smaller for minor trips, possibly a high end pocket camera. Or, go to a changeable lens mirrorless camera. Which, if I decide to go that route do I want something SLR styled or the possibly lighter and more compact rangefinder style. So many decisions... I really do not have a budget at this point which makes things even more difficult since everything is possible.

Comment

Would you consider a Panasonic, Dane, they were the first to introduce CSC's. One of my mags. compared four CSC's - Panasonic Lumix GF6, Nikon 1 J3, Olympus E-PM2 and Sony NEX-EN with the GF6 topping the list. At the moment I'm looking at that, but also their G6 and GX7.
          From what I read, mirrorless CSC's are fast rivalling the much heavier DSLR cameras in their capabilities.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I bought a Sony RX100 m2. While the mirrorless cameras were much smaller and lighter than a traditional DSLR they were still something to wear around the neck. I ended up going for something that will fit in a pocket yet yield better photos than the typical pocket camera. I think in a year or two I will again consider my options and see if the mirrorless have progressed far enough to consider replacing my DSLR gear.

Comment

Pakarang - a late Reply to a question posed in Travel bLOG 2018-Mar-23 A Trondheim Walk

Although you linked to your "Captain Speaking" thread for comments/replies, I hope you don't mind if I now respond here in the photography section (especially as I have long been intending to post myself on similar topics.) It seems that this old thread might be suitable.

The blog post with the question at the end, is here: -
              http://www.captainsvoyage.com/travel...heim-walk.html

I'm still not quite ready to give you my opinion, pakarang, other than to ask a question back. I'm aware that in the past you have been pursuing some professional-level assignments, photoshoots in perhaps such areas as architecture, fashion, cars, maritime related etc. and of course the details are a matter of business confidentiality.
              But in order to comment on your blog question, may I ask if any such ongoing activities would require DSLR type kit including a range of lenses? And by 'require' I not only mean that such kit is technically necessary to achieve the required result. For some customers, turning up with such gear might be kind of expected, to convey a professional business like impression. It's hard to imagine a wedding photographer, for instance, turning up with just the same sort of tiny camera or phone that every single guest present would have with them in pocket or handbag!
              There's a relevant personal story I can share about that last example too, as well as what I'd been intending to confess ...errr post here! Plus of course continued discussion on how rapid technical developments might be changing the concept of 'top end professional kit' also comes into your question.

Comment

Thanks for your comment. Interesting discussion indeed, and as always, hard to make a decision. These kinds of questions and discussion appear and reappear with frequent intervals.

For my current use, I don't see the necessity of having all that camera gear, but if I sell, I know at some point in the future, I will most likely regret it.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• janihudi
                  janihudi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pity to hear about that.
                  I always like your experiments , what also includes the photoshopping.

But as you say it yourself. I will regret it.
                  So keep it , you will never get your money back of it, so you will always lose.
                  And when you get the spirit again, you got it all instead of buying new much more expencive equipment. And that will propably will be step by step. And at that moment you want to make images and not have the right gear for that .
                  And with your mobile phoon and compact camera its limits wil come very fast for you

Difficult question. I think it's a wise thing to listen to what 'janihudi' say here.

For one, you'll never get your money or value back when selling, if that is an issue.
                Second, and you say it yourself, you will regret a sale in the future. Don't even try to argue..., you will, trust me.
                Third, (and despite what I say in the line above about the future), none of us are able to look into the future, and one day you might be in the mood and bitten by the photography bug again.
                In connection with this, it cost nothing to storage the equipment in a dry and ok temperature environment..., the camera and equipment will not eat you out of the house, to put it that way.

That said, there's also a fourth thing to think about:
                If you sell, years pass by and you want to start photography with a DSLR camera again, there are always the lighter mirror-less cameras to consider..., just to throw one more thing into the thinking pot.

I myself think about the mirror-less cameras, and read much about the Sony and Fuji system cameras, but I have landed on the decision to continue with a mirror and even step up one level to a full frame one.

Then some photographers say to me: -"Hey, stupid.., the future is mirror-less!" And I reply: -"I know, but it does not contain the Pentax K-1 II" and in my opinion, that is a value for money camera competitors will have a hard fight matching.

And last, but not least, there's also a fifth (and maybe the most important) point: It's not the camera, it's the photographer. The most important lense is your eye.
                (I mean, did anyone ask the French Master Chef Paul Bocuse what brand pots he used, or did anyone ask Ernest Hemingway what brand typewriter he used??).

So, that's my thoughts around a "low activity" period in a photographers life
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you both very much - I agree very much with you Thijs. If I sell, I will most likely regret it sometime in the future. I think I will keep it, and instead try to seek inspiration at youtube and other photography channels. And the value back-point is very valid: selling equipment will be with great loss, no doubt, and if you later decide to start again, it will be a very expensive road to go.

I think these kinds of thought always creep in especially at winter: a downtime of the year. It's cold, dark, colourless and I'm not that tempted at spending a lot of time outdoors. When spring comes, and when the warmer temperatures are more stable, I get out more, and hopefully, so will my camera gear again.

When it comes to cruiseships, one of my big passions, the struggle is to get great viewpoints and interesting photographs. Trondheim usually get the same ships every year, and the port is far from "photo-friendly". Sterkoder is really lucky to have such a beautiful city - with great vantage points! Looking forward to hopefully make my way to Kristiansund next month to see a big cruise ship.

Interesting points also raised by Sterkoder. I haven't quite arrived at the "mirror-less" wave yet, and I don't think it'll happen in the nearest future either. I have made a really good, new friend in Hong Kong, that is also a fantastic photographer too. He opts to remind in the 35mm-film section.... he does have some other gears too, such as digital DSLR's, but he says that 80% of the time, he uses a 35mm camera. His reasoning is very sound I think: he says that all of us doesn't need to be doing the same thing. Deep indeed, but actually there is a lot of truth to it. We have they option to follow our own paths, despite it not being the "hot" thing in the moment.

Lets hope the increasing amount of sunshine and rising mercury in thermometers will have a positive effect on us all.

Thank you both for the time and inputs!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

i saw you walking during the winter asking us to think of which time we wanted to go back.
                    you could also take the camera and make incredeble images of winter time.
                    as what Svein said, it's not the camera which make the images,it's the photographer.
                    you know that,we know that, you CAN make them.
                    you hate winter,but you CAN'T change seasons, make the best of it, in the knowledge that spring will come.
                    (easy for me to say,hardly any snow or below temperatures here in Holland)

best regards Thijs

Comment

It isn't all that simple, Thijs.
                      Some people - incuding myself - are very much affected by the weather, and I'm not meaning physically, SAD is a well-known affliction but perhaps little understood by those who do not experience it. I can be feeling very low, miserable as the skies above, but just let that sun appear and the clouds roll away and I'm an entirely different person.
                      At the moment as I sit at the computer it is raining.
                      It was raining when I went to bed last night after a day of almost continuous rain and the same kind of bitterly cold wind that has been a feature of our East Anglian weather for months, as have the seemingly everlasting downpours.
                      It was raining when I got up this morning.
                      The forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain in this god-forsaken corner of England, with warnings of damage and heavy seas.
                      It is May on Tuesday and the temperature today is 7 degrees.

Make the best of it? But to do that one needs the heart for it, either that impulse to create which every photographer knows or, failing that, a dogged determination to damn well do it regardless of the rain, snow or whatever. But what if neither of those emotions is in evidence? What if one feels lifeless, crushed under a feeling of why bother, nothing matters.
                      No, it's not all that simple.

PS. Very much OT. but there you are!
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Interesting comments on SAD and other effects caused by the weather conditions. We have not had decent rain in the SE corner of Oz for over 3 months, and the bushfire season is theoretically over...but the dry ground remains a risk to all, even in what is theoretically autumn.. I like the cold (which is one reason I like Norway!!)
                        and feel invigorated by low temperatures. When the sun goes behind the clouds I feel positively grateful. Global warming or whatever one wishes to call it is churning along and erratic weather is on the cards for the future. Let's hope the Northwest ice shelf of Greenland stays intact a while longer. And the Gulf stream....?

Yes, it's true... just like wherrygirl, I feel the same euphoria as soon as the temperature raises and the sun comes out.

I haven't always been like this: during my childhood my favourite days were the rainy days. Because it meant I could sit in my room, do my drawings and listen to the radio.

Now, the more sun the better it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X