No announcement yet.

Nordic Light Photo Festival - Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I went to James Nachtweys lecture last Wednesday. I can assure you all, it was a strong and emotional experience.

The exhibitions this year are outstanding, and when time comes, I can try to make a report.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you also go to Thomas Hoepkers lecture? That would have been my favorite..

• Sterkoder
      Sterkoder commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I did. This is a festival running Thomas Hoepker and James Nachtwey on the same day. Thomas at 10AM and James at 4PM. Fantastic lectures and pictures!!!!

Nordic Light International Festival of Photography 2015, only referred to as Nordic Light from now on, was the big event happening in Kristiansund from 21.-25. April.
    This year saw the 10th Anniversary, but no celebration was being announced. That's because Nordic Light for 9 previous years has staged the best photographers and the best exhibitions in the world, and how could they top that...?
    Wednesday 22. April saw a programme from 08:15 until 20:00 other large festivals in the world have during a week. I'm so impressed as to what the people behind the festival manage to give us all here, and I really hope for many, many good years to come for Nordic Light.

This year a new building was used as gallery. Former shipping agent and tools and hardware store Jonas Eriksen AS were totally rebuilt and is now Gallery Jonas Eriksen over four stories.

1. floor:
    Rupert Grey: Landscapes of Childhood
    Pieter ten Hoopen: Hungry Horse
    Thomas Hoepker: "In America 1963-2013"
    Giorgia Fiorio: The Gift
    Arno Rafael Minkkinen: "Water, water, everywhere"
    Anders Beer Wilse (pictures of early history in Norway)

2.floor
    Elliott Erwitt: Personal best for Leica
    Per Maning
    Marie Sjøvold: Midnight Milk
    Christina Leithe H.: Collection in Black n White
    Vilde Salhus Røed: For The Sake of Colours
    Nelli Palomäki: About Ten

3. floor
    Håkan Ludwigson: Balls and Bulldust (includes festival official programme cover photo)
    Kai Helge Andersen: Flyktige objekter (Bird close-up photography)

4. floor
    Different camera and photography clubs
    Media and communication students photographies
    NSFF (Norsk Selskap for Fotografi) Norwegian Society for Photography
    Norges Kreative Høyskole

Guys, if you want to know more about the exhibitions and photographers, please check in on www.nle.no (english text also) or make use of Google

Four floors all right, but there is an elevator for those in need :-)

Comment

In this report, for now, I will post pictures from the Gallery Jonas Eriksen.
      I just want to say though, that in addition to all the worlds top notch photographers here, at the NLE (Nordic Light) House is war- and documentary photographer James Nachtwey, Reuter photographer Goran Tomasevic, Mihai Moiceanu, Nils Thune, Ann-Siri Stokkli and Mai Loc. (Vietnameese Mai Loc is the Steve McCurry of Black&White, just check it up)

I don't know if everyone here in Kristiansund are fully aware of who and what is in town these few days. I mean, just look at the exhibitors. It's absolutely from the top shelf.

Gallery Jonas Eriksen in between floors (mind you, all of my pictures posted are iPhone pictures)

This rustic floor and room suits Håkan Ludwigsons Australian pictures perfectly!

Official programme cover photo

Between floors, again

From another section of the 3. floor

Comment

Pictures from the exhibitions at the NLE-House will be posted later.
        Sunday 26. April Nordic Light would charter a former SAR-vessel, "Hagbart Waage", and sail to Grip outside Kristiansund for this years festival farewell party.
        Me and my daughter signed up in advance (NOK 490,- each), but come Sunday, there was nice weather, but very windy out at Grip. Gail force wind and 4-6 meters vawes, making it impossible to enter into the narrow Grip harbour.
        Well, we get our money back, and before we drove back home, we took some pictures in the not yet awoke early morning Kristiansund :-)
        My pictures are in the 'This is Kristiansund' section.

NOTE (specially Ralf and family): The exhibitions are open until 28. June, and an exhibition ticket of NOK 200,-/person is on sale at the Nordic Light House ;-)

Comment

So, now that I'm on my job pc and have axcess to the pictures previously downloaded from my iPhone, I continue the "report" from this years Nordic Light festival.

The 1. floor in the Nordic Light-building (and ticket office) show the strong documentary and war pictures of Goran Tomasevic and James Nachtwey
          (I suggest you click into one of the videos of Mr. Nachtwey on YouTube, so you can see what horrible conditions he, and other war photographers, works under)

James Nachtweys picture of a burnmark after a human going up in flames on a floor in a warzone

A documentary from a refugee camp in Somalia. As James said in his lecture;
          "If that man, owning nothing, barely his life, can find force within himself to move..., to crawl towards some kind of light in the tunnel, he is not giving up.
          That mean we, in our western world, have no right to give up on his behalf".
          (I also see the reflection of the door to the Nordic Light back yard and good life in the frame glass there, making the picture even stronger..., for me)

James Nachtwey in a collage of pictures from war in the Middle-East and Afganistan

Goran Tomasevic has called his exhibition 'Combat'. Very strong pictures. Really set me off in asking why the h**l are we doing this? What do we want with war?

Last edited by Sterkoder; May 5th, 2015, 13:43.

Comment

On the 2. floor of the Nordic Light building is a more peaceful exhibition.

Nils Thune went on a workshop with Morten Krogvold about five years ago, and he was totally hooked on photography from then on

Nils got the most beautiful light in his pictures, and I love this one of Ola Haugens shooes. Peace and quiet...

Nils Thune also travel with his Leica M9 around his nech. Here'are a few from Rome, as he wanted to take pictures of Rome, but from the inside...

Comment

The former bicycle taxi owner from Vietnam, Mai Loc, also exhibit on the 2. floor of the Nordic Light house. Look up his story, it's facinating. I only include one of his pictures here. To make his story short: little over a decade ago he got friends with a Norwegian couple who were in his bicycle taxi. From them he got a Canon camera, solar powered, and that was his way into photography and being known for his pictures world wide.

In the 2. floor of the large white building in Langveien 19 (vis-a-vis the taxi central) is the exhibition of Norges Fotografforbund (Norwegian Photographers Society)

This was just a taste of what's to gace at here in Kristiansund until 28. June for only NOK 200,-. You all are welcome to visit next year, to get a feel for the mood in town, the mood of photography and philosophy, and to attend photographers lectures. It's worth every penny, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
              X