Nordic Light Photo Festival - Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nordic Light Photo Festival - Kristiansund

For the third, or was it fourth, time the Nordic Light Photo Festival is up and coming in my home city.
    A very interesting programme is just released, and here it is:

http://www.nle.no/public_files/docs/...iniprogram.pdf

The link to the festival itself:

http://www.nle.no/?div_id=1&pag_id=1
    Last edited by Sterkoder; April 28th, 2012, 21:17.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Thank you so much for the tip... and for the link. I will look into it as soon as I finish up reading the news and posting my new posts.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

www.nle.no

"Nordic Light - International Festival of Photography, Kristiansund" is here again.

It start tomorrow and has a list of photographers other festivals can envy.
      Due to work and this week ends upcoming invitation to a confirmation of a friends daughter, I sadly have no time to visit any of the lectures myself. Maybe an evening exhibition.
      I went over to Thon Hotel at Innlandet after work today, and to my joy, I happen to see the Master Photographer Morten Krogvold in action.
      He pictured a guy sitting on a simple chair, and I got to picture the same chair with the same background, but without the male object.
      What happened tonight? My pc stalled on me once again, so here I am reporting via iPhone, without possibilities to give you at least my version of that chair photography.
      Not that it was so darn good, taken from the seat of my car, but it would've been a little something from the festival...., a teaser.
      (And I, who seemed to figure out my white balance problems and all tonight. Well, my new pc is under way).

Anyway; when you visit the festival website, click on 'Artister 2011' and try to find each individual photographers websites. Now, THAT'S inspiration!!!!

EDIT:
      Ahhh...., finally back at work and a working pc!
      As I told you, my image of Mr. Krogvolds chair is nothing, but I have experienced the Master in his environment, and I've let myself in on a tiny little bit of it...
      (The vertical tracks there are where they drilled the holes for the dynamite, before blasting the rock)
      Last edited by Sterkoder; May 3rd, 2011, 13:19.

Comment

Anyway; when you visit the festival website, click on 'Artister 2011' and try to find each individual photographers websites. Now, THAT'S inspiration!!!!
        Thank you for that, Svein, I'll try and find time to have a look at some of those.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          ....As I told you, my image of Mr. Krogvolds chair is nothing....
          My dear Svein, I think I’m about to EXPLODE … and without any need of dynamite!!!!!!! …that comment of yours just HAS to be the most ridiculous statement that ever appeared on CVF…

…and your “The Chair” just has to be up there with my most loved images that ever appeared on CVF.

…I’m not allowing any modesty or blushing from you today, though a little jealousy from me could be allowed instead…especially as I had just decided to occasionally include rocks in various forms as well as clouds and sky in my new one-photo-a-day project!
          (…and I can see you’ve been photographing busily since May 1st. …ummmm, wonder if there might be a new thread soon?)

Comment

I really want to return to your city again to be a part of this festival...

When I saw Adressa writing about this festival, I immediately thought of you.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Nordic Light Photo Festival - Kristiansund

A new festival is up and coming.

Despite that Steve McCurry could not attend after all, this years festival is full of high quality photographers, to say the least.

Nordic Light 2012 link: http://www.nle.no/

Comment

A new festival is up and coming.

Despite that Steve McCurry could not attend after all, this years festival is full of high quality photographers, to say the least.

Nordic Light 2012 link: http://www.nle.no/
                What a PITY I will be working day shift those days... I would love to go and see this festival!

Comment

Nordic Light International Festival of Photography opens today.

Click into their homepage and see lots of interesting stuff, among it, live streaming from exhibitions and lectures.

Very nice weather in Kristiansund now, and let's hope it will remain throughout the entire festival, which has become one (if not the) most important photo festival in Europe.
                  That is the impression one is left with after reading what leading photographer legends say and what is said in photo magazines.

www.nle.no
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; April 29th, 2012, 10:01.

Comment

Think I might even consider going there this week, if I only can find the time to go.

Comment

If not, you can use the livestream.
                      It works perfectly, and today, I listened and looked into the lecture of Bruce Davidson. Should've been there in person to see him live, but wow, the stream is a great substitute!!

If you come to Kristiansund, and for any reason want to see me, be aware that Thursday will be impossible for me as will Friday evening.

Comment

Must tell you all that the streams are all archived in the NLE 'live' section.
                        Earlier today I saw the complete lecture of last years awarded 'Coming Star' photographer Haakon Brox.
                        Very interesting to see his presentation of pictures and how he took them, all the way from driving around to look for locations, how he contacted people who owned the wanted locations to get to use them, how he built his images, how he used his models, light, blitz and everything.

This is the first year that the NLE festival uses livestream, and I guess next year they will see a result. If everyone looking into the stream feels like I do, we will try to attend one or more lectures live. To get the mood of being among so many talented, inspirational and creative people!
                        The reason why NLE has turned so popular among photogrsphers is the athmosphere in Kristiansund.
                        The citizens are down to earth, there are no room for 'stardom' and whoever can sit down in a cafe to have a beer with legends like Bruce Davidson.
                        By the way, Bruce Davidson boasted unlimited about how his pictures were put up in the exhibition at Kunstnernes Hus. He also said he could only dream about having his work shown in such a great and professional way at the Metropolitan Museum in NY.

You all know what to do in April next year; book a hotelroom and order a festival pass and enjoy this city for 5 days.
                        A famous american photographer (can't recall his name) called this festival 'The Big Hug Festival' due to the fact that all in Kristiansund were so kind, so willing to give a hand to help and always hugging and tapping on the shoulders and giving thumbs up.
                        Am I proud of my city and what happens here right now?? Take a guess....

Future festival dates for those who like to plan ahead...., such as for example cruiseship owners and travel agents (cough-cough)

24. – 28. april 2012 (utstillinger frem til 6. mai

23. – 27. april 2013 (utstillinger frem til 5. mai)

6. – 10. mai 2014 (utstillinger frem til 18. mai)

21. – 25. april 2015 (utstillinger frem til 3. mai) 10 års jubileum

26. – 30. april 2016 (utstillinger frem til 8. mai)

2. – 6. mai 2017 (utstillinger frem til 14. mai)

24. – 28. april 2018 (utstillinger frem til 6. mai)

7. – 11. mai 2019 (utstillinger frem til 19. mai)

28. april – 2. mai 2020 (utstillinger frem til 10. mai)
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; April 26th, 2012, 16:22.

Comment

This year, as mentioned someplace before, NLE for the first time uses livestream.
                          Today I've already attended two lectures via livestream, the fist one was with Morten Krogvold "Why I have a camera?" (very, VERY, interesting personal lecture, and at one time he had to leave the stage for a few seconds due to it all being so emotional. Sat here with tears in my eyes myself. It was so strong an experience).
                          The second one was with Stuart Franklin, a long time member of the photography bureau MAGNUM (its president from 2006-09) and famous overnight in 1989 when he took the picture of that little guy with plastic bags stopping tanks at Tiananmen Square (which gave him the World Press Photo Award).
                          He has now bought a hut at Midsund/Otrøy in Romsdal and comletely fallen in love with Møre and Romsdal county and our nature.
                          Following his lecture, and with no comparison whatsoever, I can see a lot of my way of taking pictures in his latest work (look into the link below, and you'll possibly know what I mean)...., his portfolio from Midsund/Oterøya.
                          Stuart only uses old fashioned 'film' (as in negatives) for his exposures, and following a two years photosession on Otrøya, he will take 45 of his best images from that project and open an exhibition at Kube (Adress: Apotekergata 16) in Ålesund 2. June this year.

Next year, much due to the livestream, I and a colleague talk about taking a couple of days off work to just walk around to the different exhibitions and also attend some lectures.
                          To drive your car, you'll eventually end up in need of petrol to keep on driving. What happens in Kristiansund during Nordic Light International Festival of Photography is a 'mental refueling'.
                          This is a week of getting inspired, finding new friends in photography, exploring your emotions and a week of getting your batteries refilled, so to say.

Take a look at his pictures in the following link and please do also explore his homepages:
                          http://www.stuartfranklin.com/albums?album=17
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; April 29th, 2012, 10:07.

Comment

Oh my. I’ve been popping in and out of the nle site over the last day or two; caught the archived Bruce Davidson lecture this morning; followed many of the links. That this festival is a special and extraordinary world-class photography event goes without saying. There are many things I could mention, but right now I just want to say how moved I am by reading what our Sterkoder has written in posts #12 and 13, and how he has conveyed what it is about Kristiansund which uniquely makes the festival what it is.

....I can see a lot of my way of taking pictures in his [Stuart Franklin’s] latest work (look into the link below, and you'll possibly know what I mean)....
                            Svein, I honestly believe that had you quietly slipped one or two of those images amongst your own in some general thread on Norwegian nature, I would just have assumed….well….truly…I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it….

And, whether at festival time or another, we have to have some kind of a photographic CVF get-together in Big Hug City….

Comment

Dear C, I'm flattered

Then again, as Master Photographer Morten Krogvold say: Don't be shy, make your point and stand up straight when telling it. Belive I did

Nordic Light Intl. Festival of Photography 2012 is now history, and the largest of stars will not go home!
                              Isn't that great...? Bruce Davidson and his wife are so impressed with Kristiansund and its citizens that they want to stay on.
                              That was also the case when Stuart Franklin visited the first time in 2009, and he bought a cottage near here.

NLE started in 2006 with 13.000 visitors and 20 exhibitions.
                              This year there were 90.000 visitors and 38 exhibitions, which will be open until May 6th.

Comment

Working...
                              X