Night Shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Shooting

Am I correct in thinking that to get the best possible image at night, that a low ISO setting of about 100-200 and a 10-12 second exposure will do the trick?
    Not that I understand these kind of things, but I am just reading from my manual and that is like reading in code!
    Is there an art to this, or can anyone do this?
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Yes, low ISO generally produces a better image but only if you subject does not move and you can keep the camera perfectly still for 10+ seconds. I do not have a tripod so exposures over a couple seconds are very difficult. Taking shots of the moon I will often use ISO 100 but if anything might move at all I crank up the ISO.

You can change your ISO to help get the shot you want. I like to use ISO 100 when photographing fireworks so I can keep the shutter open a long time without overexposing the background.

This shot was ISO 400 at f4.5 for 2 seconds

ISO 100 probably would have been better but I could not hold the camera still long enough to get a clear shot so I comprimised and went to ISO 400 knowing from experience that I could hold the camera still for 2 seconds.

This one is at ISO 1600, f8 for 1/320 second

In this shot it was very cloudy and dark under the jungle canopy. The sloth was swinging back and forth so I needed a faster shutter speed to stop his motion and my camera was on a monopod which I could only hold still at this angle for a fraction of a second.

Comment

Quite correctly as Dane says, generally, a lower ISO gives a clearer image while a higher image gives a grainier image.

At night, I normally use self timer and something sturdy to leave the camera on: even small movement can ruin the image. If I have time, I use a tripod, if I haven't got the time, I use anything else I can find.

I use self timer because I want the camera to 'settle down' before the image is being taken.

The best night shots are however done at dusk and dawn: when there is less but fuller light. At night, you'll get the black sky. At dawn or dusk, the sky will turn blue-ish.

The long exposure times, of 20 seconds or more, might give you star-like lights on light-points.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

See what I meant folks when I said in another thread that pakarang could teach a photography course, never mind attend one!

Comment

Ah! Now here's the thing, we have a full moon on Monday night. I would love to try and capture it. I think I get the ISO thing now, but the F4.5 I am a little confused on this part.
          There are so many settings and ajustments to take into consideration, that I fear I might mess it up. I have a good solid tri-pod, just lacking in the "know how" department.

Comment

Photography during full moon is fun, just let the moon paint it all, away from streetlights and all kind of ligth sources.

This is one of my monnlight photo's and all the light here comes only from the moon

Here I've used 84 seconds of shutterspeed, ISO 100 and aperture f8 and I use the f8 for a little debth in the photo.
            f16 gives better debth, but then you will have to double the shutter too
            Because of the snow i did'nt need more shutter, but going around without snow you might need from 5-10 minutes shutter
            View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Monday is full moon? Cool... I can feel the coming of a new thread....

That is an awesome night shot by Tom!

The moon is a bit tricky to capture successfully, but with some practice, it's manageable and within reach.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh, is it difficult? I did'nt know that

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Photoman View Post
                  Oh, is it difficult? I did'nt know that
                  Yeapp, a little maybe but for you, I see it's an art form! I should invite you to come up to Trondheim some day, and give me a photo class...

Comment

Give me a trip to Trondheim on a sunny weekend and we got a deal hehe!
                    Or just look for Nørd Charming on the MSN one day since i almost never see you there anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                      Ah! Now here's the thing, we have a full moon on Monday night. I would love to try and capture it....
                      I am soooooo impatient to hear whether you did!!!!!!!!

Just noticed that pakarang has set us up for Full Moon Night in the “Moonlight Serenade” thread.
                      Last edited by Seagull; November 3rd, 2009, 17:27. Reason: added link

Comment

Humph!! At the moment it's full cloud coverage, hopefully by 10-11pm it will have passed over. Saying that, I think the full moon will be visible for the next couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                          Humph!! At the moment it's full cloud coverage, hopefully by 10-11pm it will have passed over. Saying that, I think the full moon will be visible for the next couple of days.
                          Overcast here as well at the moment, but some beautiful sunset clouds today (for the sunrise/set thread).

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Overcast here as well at the moment, but some beautiful sunset clouds today (for the sunrise/set thread).
                            Oooh yep! Yesterday we had a lovely sun-going-down scene, not so earlier today it rained a lot. Funny the clouds are in that strange fuzzy hazy format, but it's only 9pm so still time yet to see & shoot the moon!

Comment

Well, I tried to shoot the moon...... dismal failure! I have so many settings on this Olympus gadget that I am utterly confused now.
                              There are more settings within these main settings which many.

The settings on the dial are:

Auto: This function allows you to take pictures with full automatic settings.
                              P: The camera automatically sets the optimum aperture value and shutter
                              speed.
                              A: This function allows you to change the aperture manually.
                              S: This function changes the shutter speed for shooting pictures.
                              M: This function allows you to change the aperture and shutter speed
                              manually.
                              My: This function allows you to set each shooting function manually and use
                              as your original shooting mode.
                              Guide: This function allows you to set the target items by following the shooting
                              guide displayed on the screen.
                              SCN: This function allows you to shoot pictures by selecting a scene
                              according to the shooting condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X