No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you listening to right now!

As some of yo read in my blog some weeks ago, I love this series/drama, and song:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A song for my wonderful step-daughter who we sadly lost last week.

The words of this song are so very true.

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

very sad to hear Steve all the best for you and your family for these hard days to live in
        best regards Thijs

Comment

All the best Steve, that's very sad and we're thinking of you.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thank you both........
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The worst phrase in the language, repeated and repeated. And so true.
              With you in spirit, as you know, Steve.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

My most sincere condolences to you, and your family Steve.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  My most sincere condolences to you, and your family Steve.
                  Thank you Jan-Olav. Your thoughts and everyone else's are very much appreciated.

I am having a bit of a musical day today, music is good at lifting the spirits.

Having a bit of a Bee Gee's session at the moment.

This from a concert i would have loved to be at.

And the official video of 'You Win Again'.

Comment

And who can't remember what they were doing when 'Grease' was at the cinemas! I was using a large tree trunk as a boat on the pond, and building underground camps on Mitcham Common!

Comment

This is perhaps a rather silly post for this thread as I don’t have a link to the music for you to actually be able to listen to it! I have it on a CD which I bought at the Petter Dass Museum in Alstahaug on the visit there with Nordstjernen.

It is a collection of songs which are settings of poems of Petter Dass. Listening to it at this time of year, some of the hymn-like melodies do sound kind of Christmassy, and I find myself singing along with the tunes! I’m sure the combination of choral singing, folk song, and touches of percussion and jazz has broad appeal. The final stanzas of the last track, “En smuk Aftensang” with a delicate and finely judged soaring jazz-like accompaniment never fails to produce those hair-standing-on-end goose-bumps frisson. This was the music that ended the superbly produced audio-visual presentation about Petter Dass and his times that is shown to visitors at the Museum.

The reason for posting this here, however, concerns HurtigruteMartin’s Birthday a few days ago! Knowing his interest and love of Norrland’s culture, I’d posted a Petter-Dass-inspired Seagull card here on the forum, while over on Facebook wrote “Gratulerer med dagen ! Kortet følger på CVF”.

In thanking me for the “card”, Martin added the lines:
                      "Vær Hilset I Nordlands bebyggende Mænd. Fra Værten i Huset, til trælende Svend. Hil være det elskelig Qvindelige Kiøn. Matroner og ægte-gift Hustruer skiøn. Madamer og ugifte Piger."

Well dear Martin, what can I say! For these are the very first lines of the first song on the CD which I had been listening to as I made your card!

Comment

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a remarcable and facinating post. Thank you so much Seagull.

Sometimes we have simulatanios thoughts

You see.......when I came home from work that late birthday-evening, I started to read the famous book written in poem-style by Petter Dass, called "Nordlands Trompet". And my book is beautiful illustrated by Karl Erik Harr.

I got this book as a birthday-gift from my dear aunt 4 years ago, just a few months before she passed away. So I read "Nordlands Trompet every birthday...........................

And it was such a special feeling when I logged on CVF and found your Petter Dass inspired birhday-card.

I so agree with you about that CD of yous. I love all the Bremnes-family. All four of them. The father Ole, the daughter Kari, and the two sons Ola and Lars has written so many beatiful songs and lyrics from the Nordland-culture. And this one made by Ola Bremnes with lyrics taken directly from poems by Petter Dass, and with some folk-songs in a typical Bremnes-tune, is SO MUCH Petter Dass. And I am sure that there would have been a lot of hair-raising from both of us, if we listened to "Rn smuk aftensang" together.

That you for posting this, dedicated to ME, Seagull

Comment

Thank YOU Martin for introducing me to all these Norrland delights in the first place, because I can distinctly remember in 2003, in far off pre-CVF times, when I first walked past the statue of Petter Dass in Bronnøysund without having the remotest idea of who it represented! Well, I was sailing with Trollfjord at the time, and so had at least an introduction in the art of Karl Erik Harr (as well as that of a notable artist from your “southern” city of course!!!). Well, I totally forgot to mention in my post that the little booklet with the Norwegian texts of the songs that comes with the CD is also illustrated with some of those Karl Erik Harr drawings!

I was impressed by the nice and helpful lady at the museum shop who directed me to that particular CD when I asked in particular about the music at the end of the audio-visual presentation. She also told me that there is a big project going on to make a new English translation of "Nordlands Trompet”. (The existing one of Theodore Jorgenson dates from the early 1950’s).

That’s an exciting prospect, though nevertheless, I think that the delights of listening to the original language in the context of song will always be as important. It’s the same for the Swedish national poet, Bellman (living a century later than Dass –and considerably more secular!) for whom I also have great interest and enthusiasm. Anyone who likes Ola Bremnes on this CD might also enjoy Bellman songs in the less-classical more folksong-like interpretations that became popular since the 1960’s and 70’s –not only the recordings of Swedish singers but also the Dutchman Cornelis Vreeswijk.
                          Last edited by Seagull; December 11th, 2012, 12:01. Reason: ...usual typos!!

Comment

Triggered by Sarnia’s photos of rosemåling painting at the Folkemuseum in Oslo, I was reminded of an unforgettably wonderful temporary exhibition I chanced upon in Sweden many years ago. The exquisitely painted artefacts gleamed in the subtle lighting, seemingly suspended in the surrounding darkness, and very quietly some entrancing music played in the background. As I left, I asked the attendant what it was, and so that’s how I first discovered the music of the late Swedish jazz pianist Jan Johansson.

I was later to realise that his “Jazz på Svenska” is an absolute classic – subtle arrangements of Swedish folk tunes recorded in the early 60’s. Visiting Swedish friends and colleagues subsequently, I was to find that they all, absolutely without exception, had this recording! More than once it surfaced as background mood music at candle-lit dinner parties. The older ones still sentimentally hung on to their much worn LP long after also purchasing the music on CD, and doubtless it also reaches the MP3 generation and beyond for I didn’t have much difficulty today finding a link to You Tube.

I’m sure that HurtigruteMartin and Sterkoder will like this music, and may I urge you ALL, whatever your musical tastes, to give the first few minutes a try. I’m betting that a good many of you become hooked!

Comment

And what a piano sound there is on that record! It's so cool and "lo-fi" but yet wonderful. I have more than once wished that I would have that piano at home.

Comment

I'm really glad that my trip report reminded you of this music, and prompted you to share it with us - wonderful discovery for me!
                                And looking online to see if the CD is available (it is), I notice that there is another piece by the same pianist called "Jazz på Ryska". Have you listened to it?
                                MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                                Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                                My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Working...
                                X