Only in America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in America

We have a thread here called "Only in China".
    I think it is time to have one for "Only in America", for good or for bad, or for plain stupidity.

Here is a report from Washington Post to start it off:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...VmW_video.html

You decide which of the three above categories this fits into.

Re: Only in America

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    We have a thread here called "Only in China".
    I think it is time to have one for "Only in America", for good or for bad, or for plain stupidity.

Here is a report from Washington Post to start it off:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...VmW_video.html

You decide which of the three above categories this fits into.
    I don't get your point. The link goes to a aurora borealis time-lapse video, and that is neither bad nor stupid...?
    Good? Yes, but not only in America.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
      I don't get your point. The link goes to a aurora borealis time-lapse video, and that is neither bad nor stupid...?
      Good? Yes, but not only in America.
      Time laps on my part. Here is correct link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...smW_video.html

Comment

Now I took your point. Bad. Caused by stupidity. Only in America.
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---
        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Stupid is as stupid does. He's removed himself from the gene pool............

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
            Stupid is as stupid does. He's removed himself from the gene pool............
            TOO late. He already has a 3-year old son who carries his genes and MAY have to live with the knowledge that he killed his Father. Depending on the family and whether he will be growing up in the same small place where this happened.

One question begs to be answered; why is it necessary to bring a gun along to "protect" yourself and your family in a small and presumably peaceful place in Indiana??

Comment

I just hope that the child grows up realising just how stupid and irresponsible his family were. That stupidity of leaving a gun where a three year old could get at it could easily have ended in the little boy shooting himself. Hopefully he will not grow up blaming himself for his fathers death, and hopefully he will grow up with more sense in his head than his father.

Coming from a country where legal gun ownership is strictly controlled, i do find it hard to understand why the right to own a gun is the norm in some countries like America. I don't know any statistics, but i wonder how many people are killed each year by legally held guns?, and how many of those deaths could have been avoided if gun ownership was not so wide spread?
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The Aurora Shooting:

It is hard for a Norwegian to write about this under the Only in America thread, since it is only a year ago, almost to the day, since an even worse case of mass killing happened in Norway.

Yet, I will refer to Elliot Slater in this article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/spitzer/2...gun_laws_.html

Especially the paragraph about the second amendment:
                And I am tired of hearing that the Second Amendment as a bar to useful measures—it isn't. There is no constitutional right to buy submachine guns or silencers or uniquely hazardous bullets without background checks—or at all.
                What happened in Norway may "prove" that strict gun laws doesn't stop a determined and resourceful person from getting hold of guns and ammunition, but it makes it a lot more difficult for those less resourceful to do so.

I also happen to live in a country where there is VERY strict gun laws, which is actually being enforced. Here in Singapore there is mandatory death sentence for having a gun, let alone using it to shoot anybody.

In this city of 5 mill. there were 16 murders last year, 15 of which was solved almost immediately because it was "crimes of passion" and the murderer was waiting for the police at the scene, in most cases. One remain unsolved.

None of the 16 murders were committed using a gun and there were no armed robberies involving guns. That does't mean that there are no illegal guns within Singapore's borders, but it is a rear occasion when one surface.

Don't say it is because we don't have illegal foreigner here. (who apparently commit most of the crimes in Norway and in the US)
                There are more than 1 mill. legal foreign workers here and some illegals. Quite a few of the murders have been within that part of the population.

The police in Singapore is armed when on patrol and may take their guns home with them, but they don't leave loaded guns laying around where they can be got at by others. There have been a couple of cases of police officers using their gun to shoot themselves, however. (The last was abt. three years ago)

Armed Police and Military personnel has to account for every round of ammunition they are issued. Military personnel is not allowed to take weapons outside the base.

Members of Gun Clubs own their own weapons, but they are registered and kept under lock and key at the gun club when not in use.

Is this too restrictive and infringing on the human rights of the citizens?
                I don't think so. The common good of the society must take precedents over the "convenience" of the few who may wish to own and keep guns at home. Since there is very small risk of being robbed or burgled by someone armed with a gun there is also no need to have a gun for protection.

I don't advocate that the US or Norway should follow Singapore's example, since the situation is very different. We don't have any need for guns to go hunting, at least not domestically.

In the case of the Aurora shooting, it happened in a state where is is allowed to carry concealed weapons, and many do. But the theater where this happened did not allow weapons on the premises.

In any case, even if half the audience had carried guns, what could they do? The shooter was wearing body armor, helmet and a gas mask, the place was dark and he released a canister of tear gas or similar, which would have reduced the ability for anybody close enough to aim properly.

I know it is far too late to get all illegal weapons off the streets in the US, but at least get control with the ammunition. How can it be allowed to buy 6000 rounds of a type of ammunition which is normally used for semi-automatic rifles without questions being asked and over the internet?? It is madness in my opinion.

Comment

A complaint about Canada...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Nose+Hi...028/story.html

And the reply...

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee...anada/5161d1e6
                  Last edited by Remarc; August 9th, 2012, 21:10.

Comment

Ordinary folk in the UK are forbidden to own guns unless they have a shotgun certificate (farmers), or a firearms certificate (armed police and gun clubs). Even so they are ruled by extremely strict laws.
                    No one with any conviction may own a gun, but still there are plenty of deaths by guns in the larger cities.
                    But after reading the item on the US Police officer in Canada it made me think of something that happened here in my town.
                    Only last week a man approached a group of people asking for directions and ended up having his jaw broken and hospitalised.
                    This, just for asking for help. It disgusted me but also made it even more clear that the UK public should never be allowed to be armed. I would leave my country if ever the public had the right to be armed
                    They are not psychologically fit to be anywhere near such a weapon.
                    Unfortunately there is an ever growing cancer of aggressive psychopaths that are unchecked in the UK, the law abiding decent folks are slowly being outnumbered by these maniacs.
                    Everywhere I go in my home town I see highly aggressive young work shy men, totally out of control and destroying lives. But I am in favour of all the UK police to be armed.
                    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                      Unfortunately there is an ever growing cancer of aggressive psychopaths that are unchecked in the UK, the law abiding decent folks are slowly being outnumbered by these maniacs.
                      Everywhere I go in my home town I see highly aggressive young work shy men, totally out of control and destroying lives. But I am in favour of all the UK police to be armed.
                      I so agree, Paul. What the hell happened to this country i do not know. So many people these days have absolutely no respect for other people anymore. Don't get me wrong, i could be a right little bugger when i was a kid - sticking bangers in peoples dustbins and that sort of stuff, but, back then, if the owner of the said dustbin came out of his or her house we would leg it in fear of getting into trouble. These days in the same situation the kids stand their ground and give nothing but abuse to the victim. And in a lot of cases the house owner ends up getting attacked by these thugs. Kids these days simply are not scared of getting into trouble, they are not scared of someone going around to their house and telling their parents. And these days it would take a brave person to actually go around to the parents house to complain about the kids, the chances are the parents would just get aggressive.

And we wonder who's to blame? If the parents have got no respect for anyone else, it's no wonder their kids are even worse. But it's like a disease, once that chain has started, how the hell do you stop it? The behaviour just gets passed from generation to generation, getting worse along the way. And it only takes a handful of families like that in a neighborhood to cause misery for everyone else.

And what about the drinking problem we have in this country? Even down here in the west country so many of the big towns are 'no go' areas on a Friday or Saturday night. Drunken teenagers out causing mayhem everywhere. Maybe we should learn from the American's and raise our legal age for drinking alcohol to 21.

Sorry for off topic rant, but at least the last bit got us back to America!
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

It appears that the "two threatening young men" mentioned in the letter from Mr. Wawra where actually trying to give away free tickets to the Stampede, in case they hadn't been yet.
                        Would anybody care to comment on why it is so important to Americans (at least the majority of them) to own guns?

When the discussion is about licensing and controlling gun ownership the stock answer is; "nobody is going to take my guns away"
                        It is not a question of "taking the guns away", but to have a register of who owns guns, to have some control with where the guns are and who is allowed to buy them.
                        If you have a legitimate reason to own guns and the necessary training in how to handle them safely, what is wrong with having that registered?

I can think of no legitimate reason for a private person to own high powered automatic rifles, or to purchase dum-dum bullets and other military munition designed to kill people only. (Nobody in their right mind would go hunting deer with such weapon, would they?)

When the Founding Fathers invented the second amendment there were no such weapons in existence. There is no reason to believe that they would foresee the development of anything like that, nor the way the American society has developed.
                        Maybe it is time to modernize the laws to reflect today's reality, as has been done in all other developed countries?

Do you feel less free in Norway, Sweden, Germany, Holland, UK or France because you have to be screened and trained before you can buy a hunting rifle??
                        Is it less democratic to have a register of the weapons in private possession within the country??
                        Last edited by ombugge; August 10th, 2012, 05:49.

Comment

Thanks, 'ombugge'...., and I feel no need to say different.

If people lived by the Amendment II, there should be no killing like we often see in the news today, as oe of the purposes with the amendment were:
                          ..."to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home".
                          (Who the h*** of ordinary people is educated and trained to decide in a split second wether NOT to pull the trigger?).

Another "lawful purpose" might be using it in competition to fire at indicators or something...., like a sport.
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; August 10th, 2012, 07:23.
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            Thanks, 'ombugge'...., and I feel no need to say different.

If people lived by the Amendment II, there should be no killing like we often see in the news today, as oe of the purposes with the amendment were:
                            ..."to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home".
                            Remember, this amendment was written at a time when the "West" was lawless and there were bands of marauding Native Americans raiding settler's homes.
                            Today the "lawless areas" are the in the cities, crawling with drug dealers and addicts.

"Self-defense within the home" was probably not meant to include shooting your wife and family, which happens all too often these days.

Living in environment where violence is glorified in Movies, on TV and in Games and guns can be purchased at will, combined with wide spread drug use and inadequate education, it is no wonders that you get the highest crime rate in the developed world.

PS> This is what Pistols looked like at the time the 2nd amendment was made:

And Guns:
                            Last edited by ombugge; August 10th, 2012, 10:16.

Comment

One thing I find alarming here in the United States is the current zombie marketing craze. I do not like this advertising taking away the seriousness of guns and target shooting. Teaching people to shoot at human like anything is a very dangerous path.

I blame Hornady and their very successful marketing campaign. They repackage ammunition into colorful boxes with Zombie graphics and tell people to go crazy annialating the zombie hoard. Here is a link to that section of the Hornady website including a video I do not find funny and a disclaimer in small print that no human should be shot with this ammo.

This marketing tactic has spawned a whole series of other zombie products.

paper targets

Life size mannequin (doll) target that bleeds red "blood" when shot

And, a zombie/gun magazine is now being published

I am very afraid that many people with guns are being taught that guns are toys and that shooting human like things is OK and without consequence. Once someone is comfortable shooting zombie people I fear it is too easy for a crazy mind to slip and forget the zombie part.

I remember how hard it was for me the first time I had to shoot at silhouette targets. I had spent all my life shooting at circles and metal things that go "clang". Then I went for my concealed carry license the target for my qualification was human silhouette. Making that transition to something human shaped was troubling for me and I still don't like it.

Last edited by pilotdane; August 17th, 2012, 03:11. Reason: trying to get magazine photo to work

Comment

Working...
                              X