Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer of the World

Greece

This is the first beer I had in Greece. It's quite good though the one I had from this bottle was pretty well skunked (something I'm finding very common with anything in a bottle). Most of the beers are all quite similar and are you generic medium lager. Perhaps close to Michelob with a very slightly heavier hop level.

This was the only beer I had that was close to a craft brew. Wheat beers are not my favorite but after nothing but generic lagers I had to give it a try. So far it's the only beer in a bottle that I've had that has not been skunked. I don't know if it's because of the light hopping or better storage away from light. But, it had a good, full wheat flavor and nice level of haze putting it in the premium category.

I had a lot of this beer around town. It was commonly available and reasonably priced. And, when purchased in a can lacked the dreaded green bottle skunking. It is interesting to read the ingredients and see that they add maltose. Still and pretty good all round, medium lager which seems to be the style here.

Last edited by pilotdane; October 8th, 2011, 03:17.

Re: Beer of the World

Bulgaria

Kamenitza on draught is a pretty nice every day lager with a good balance between the malt and hops. Not a world class Czech Pilsner but pretty darn good.

I was surprised by this beer in spite of the slight skunking. Good depth of malt flavor nicely balanced by the hops. It would be perfect if they had kept it from the light. I especially love the directions on the back of the bottle in case you forgot how to pour a beer.

And, in case you forgot how to pour beer from a bottle they provide instructions.

Holly CRAP! Beer is cheap in Eastern Europe! At the grocery store a half liter of this is about $.88 US Dollar, a one liter plastic bottle is about $1.22 and a two liter jug is about $1.40. It was horribly skunked but I suppose it's about the quality of PBR.

Last edited by pilotdane; October 8th, 2011, 03:17.

Comment

Ukarine

I guessing you pronounce it Lvivckye 1715. Surprisingly not bad but moderately skunked. I dug deep in the store's display but the light had gotten to it. Just like in Bulgaria this beer is really cheap, especially in larger packages with a two liter bottle being less than two dollars.

This is from the same brewery and is better than the 1715 though similarly priced. I think the brown bottle played a big part helping prevent too much skunking. I wish I had taken a picture of the beer in a glass because it had a darker than usual brown color and more robust flavor with more depth. A choice pick when buying beer in big plastic bottles.

Baltic 7 was incredible and once again I forgot to take a picture of it in the glass. Maybe it was the morning in the sun walking along the beach or seeing the 70 year old naked Ukrainians on the beach that made me really need/want a beer but this one was great. It cost more than most at about $2 for a half liter of draft in a prime beach front cafe. It had a wonderful amber color with a white head that lasted forever. A good, proper Czech Pilsner with a bit more body.

Last edited by pilotdane; October 8th, 2011, 03:22.

Comment

Turkey

Efes Pilsen is xpensive at about $2 a half liter. It is OK but nothing great. A simple lager with no obvious flaws but lacking body, flavor and character.

About the same price as Pilsen. Light of color for the style and thin of body with little head. Think of an American malt liquor made with too little barley and too much sugar and rice. This beer is about the alcohol and not the beer. I suppose it's everything a Turk needs to get a buzz.

The same price as the others but I suppose it was my favorite if I have to pick one. It was surprisingly thin with a tinny, caramel flavor with little body or head. I suspect the caramel color may come from artificial coloring because it does not have the flavor of toasted malts to support the color. It seemed to rely on cheap adjuncts like sugar instead of quality malts.

Comment

Slovenia

Beautiful in the glass but once again shows that beer in a green bottle is a bad thing. It was a damn good beer spoiled by moderate skunking and there were a couple fat naked people on the beach reading the newspaper in unflattering positions, enough to ruin any drink. From the label all I get that it is 4.9% alcohol.

Since it was almost perfect in a skunked bottle I had to get a can to try when not looking at the clothing optional beach. It's well balanced and similar in taste to Budweiser but somehow seems better in a non-Bud can. Possibly more barley and less rice.

The fine print is in a few more languages on the can so you can see that they use unmalted grains.

Union was a bit of a cross between Budweiser and PBR with a titch of light beer thrown in. Glad I tried it but I won't buy it again. Oh, and I managed to sneak a ship into the background. I think I get extra points for that one.

Last edited by pilotdane; October 8th, 2011, 03:38.

Comment

Dane! Just how brilliant is this!

You know, I’d just been reading your post on another thread in which you so well express your thoughts about what makes CVF so special…absolutely…where else could I have possibly found myself totally hooked on the subject of beers of the world! I didn’t know how to reply on that other thread …now I don’t need to.

It’s not that I’m a connoisseur of beers or even all that much of a beer drinker at all these days especially in Edinburgh's climate, and I know much less about beers than wines and have never made either. But when a CV friend whose interests and enthusiasms and humour I’ve got to know here on the forum comes up with something like this, it really makes my day. Oh and may I add that your knowledgeable enthusiasm for the subject sure seems to have inspired you to photographic excellence also…really great images…thinks delightedly that there should be a cross reference to here in the Depth of Field thread which I also looked at just now…see all these interconnections….

Ahhhhh, I really should have a glass in my hand while I look though this again… Cheers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
              Ukarine
              Tuborg, now there is a beer i have not seen for years. In my younger days lots of pubs used to sell this on tap. I have not seen it in a pub over here for years. Certainly a blast from the past seeing that label again. Being a real ale / bitter drinker, i have never tried it though. But i do seem to recognise a few of the other beers in this thread, supermarkets these days do a very wide range of continental beers. Thankfully they also cater for my tastes. I just wish that these supermarket giants would sell more regional beers. Very rare to find a local beer in a supermarket.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Tuborg was very popular in Bulgaria and Ukraine I think because they have many European tourists. It seemed to be the one, commonly available, continental beer. Since I've had it before and there were local beers to try I passed on the Turborg.

I'm an ale person and I'm especially fond of the American varieties of IPA and pale ale but I have to sneak in some traditional European styles now and then for my wife. She's fond of Belgian dubbel and lambic. Currently on tap I have a proper English bitter and a California style American IPA and we have a big fall party coming up in a couple weeks so I have a pale ale and hard cider about ready. One of the reasons I make my beer is that generic American style light Pilsner lagers similar to Budweiser are the only thing sold locally. If I want to buy different varieties of beer there is a nice store but it's 50km away and not cheap.

Comment

What idea for a new thread. I have to remember during my next travels to find some additions... That is a lot of fun, Dane...!
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Great idea for a thread. Not being an expert, but I really love to test different brands and types.
                    I'll add some content later, but now I'm going to finish my Zlatopramen...

Comment

I'll throw in one exotic brand:

Picture shown before on CVF, but than to show off the ingenious bottle openers commonly used in Burma.

Comment

I am glad you explained. It saved me asking about that piece of wood.

Comment

Here are some beers from my trip to San Antonio, Texas.

Bla, bla, bla the one to watch out for is the little guy at the very end of the line, way in back. It made a lambic seem like sweet Cool-Aid. I have never had a beer taken so far to the dark side. If I ever made this beer I would destroy the equipment for fear it may infect my other beers. This beer, while a proper beer style, drank more like salad dressing without the olive oil. I do not think many people have had a sour pushed so far. Now I know why the bartender looked at me so funny when I ordered a 4 oz (11cl) glass. He said they were instructed to give customers a sample before pouring them a full glass. It just goes to show you why beer earned it's place in history. No matter how badly you F it up it will not kill you. It may not taste like you expect but it will not kill you.
                          Last edited by pilotdane; November 22nd, 2011, 04:04.

Comment

Italy

How could I forget to include some of the beers I tried in Venice.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X