Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook: hated or loved

Facebook: hated or loved

There are millions of facebook users around the world, some people love it, some people hate it and some just use it (sometimes).

I hate the way facebook uses our information, but then again, I can't imagine a life without it. It's genius in the way of keeping track of friends around the world, but there are so many things that I do not like as well.

It's also a great place to advertise I have found out: either it is my own causes or other people's causes.

But this recent article, I do not like at all:

Facebook tracks your activity after you log out as well.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Re: Facebook: hated or loved

First of all, in my case isolated, I wonder if I can say I hate it when at the same time I have an account there and frequently use it...?
    Well, use might not be the right word, as I mostly just look into it.
    One thing is for sure, I don't love it, unconditionally.

And do we all have to know when a person makes dinner, takes a nap, is at an airport...., at a certain gate, do we need to know when someone picks up a child in a kindergarten, if one invite to a family dinner, do we need to know when a family is travelling (and thereby doing good PR for a house or home being totally alone and emty). Do all of us need to know when someone is sick and how much they throw up? Do we need to know for how long they have been sitting on the toilet with a bad stomach?? Some of the "info" which can be found on FB is simply braindead...., or at least very close.

Most of what's happening on FB is of no relevance whatsoever, and what's most irritating of it all:
    When a person have no time for this and that, but AT THE SAME TIME can be seen very active at FB.

This said, FB can be a good tool for someone to solve certain problems, but for me it's like an old garden tool you certainly have, but find in the innermost corner of the utility shed.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Sooo true, Sterkoder, i couldn't have expressed it better with my own words.
      Two points in addition: First it is a little bit embarrassing, that we don't see people in here anymore, but they are quite active on Facebook. It is their decision, but in my opinion there is no need to follow up people's whole interests and comments, while we have a platform here to share our COMMON interests. Especially if most of this posts are in a for me foreign language. So it is a pity that we don't meet Ostafjell or HurtigruteMartin in here anymore...
      Second it is indeed a problem, how Facebook is using informations in way i don't accept. Therefore my activity there is also mostly reading.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

If the same question was raised about the CVF, I would not hesitate to use the word 'love' at once.

Here we have a great forum with a hole gang of dedicated and great people, but as we now have behind us a spring, a summer and soon an autumn, I can say I sence a decrease in use of CVF which I have noted long time ago. To blame low activity on a special season can't be an arguement anymore.
        I predict CVF has had its peak.

It's a free world, thank God, so there's no use in telling people what to do, and in anyones lifes there comes a crossroad where one has to decide what to spend the time on.

I will hang on in here as long as there's a forum, but you know...., to spend a lot of time, many hours of several days, throughout the year to prepare pictures, find answers to questions and make comments to this and that, that are longer than one sentence....., will of course be less and less interesting when you're only "talking" to a handful of people.
        As an example; Does anyone seriously belive it would be interesting for me to get out of bed in the middle of the night, take a 5AM ferry to go to Ålesund to take pictures, use a great ammount of time on their editing and later present some of them to my friends and others on Facebook...? Never!

You have thrown in a potato here, J-O my friend, and I fear it's very hot...
        Last edited by Sterkoder; October 6th, 2011, 15:32.

Comment

But Svein and Ralf, even after what you have said, you still belong! Why? If all you do is read, what great things are you reading?
          I got out.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I am not really a fan of Facebook. About the only thing i use it for is to keep up to date with family photos, it's very handy for that, especially if you have a large family. Apart from that it tends to be more trouble than it's worth. And just why on earth some people just love to add total strangers as friends i do not know, my daughter for example must have nearly 500 friends listed, in reality she probably only knows a handful of them. If a total stranger sends me a friends request - just because they may be on my daughters friends list for example, i decline everytime. I keep my Facebook privacy settings very tight - friends only, i do not want the whole world to see my personal family photos, or personal comments i may post, so why on earth would i add someone i do not know to my friends list so that they are free to see everything about me? No way.

And apart from all of that, i think Facebook is too unaccountable for itself, customer service?, non-existent with them, you try getting hold of an actual person at Facebook if you ever have a problem, it's a nightmare. They want to know everything about everyone else in the world, whilst staying anonymous themselves. So there you go, am i a fan? NO!

Here we have a great forum with a hole gang of dedicated and great people, but as we now have behind us a spring, a summer and soon an autumn, I can say I sence a decrease in use of CVF which I have noted long time ago. To blame low activity on a special season can't be an arguement anymore.
            I predict CVF has had its peak.
            I have also noticed that the forum is much quieter these days, in many ways that saddens me. And one of the reasons for that is because i know i do not post anywhere near the amount that i used to. But that is not because i do not want to, or because i have lost the interest, it's simply because i struggle to concentrate these days. And that is simply down to the awful drugs i have to take to relieve pain, half the time i am feeling spaced out and on another planet somewhere, but even with them i still feel a fair amount of pain. It does leave me feeling guilty for not participating as much as i used to, especially when i see the forum getting quieter like it is.

We are still attracting some new and very valuable members, but sadly there are many old members that we rarely hear from anymore. I guess it's simply because people circumstances in life do change, that is only natural. members that were single before may now find themselves in relationships, maybe with a new child. Or maybe a job change, all of these plus many more could drastically affect the amount of time we have to spare in our lives for hobbies and interests like CV. But onething i will say, and i have said many times before, we are so lucky here on CV to have a hardcore group of members that devote so much of their time, and put a great deal of effort into posting their fantastic photos on the forum. You all know who you are, and believe me, i for one am greatly appreciative of all that hard work.

Do i think CVF has reached it's peak?, i hope not, maybe it's just going through a quiet period, i don't know. I am certainly hoping it will pick up again. Time will tell.
            Last edited by Steve.B; October 7th, 2011, 00:20.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I think I am the only person left on the planet that does NOT have a FB account and if I start posting on Captains Voyage that I'm bored and stuck in traffic feel free to delete and ban.

I wonder if the decline in new members is that we no longer have our star The Norway. Long ago I remember finding CV by looking for information about The Norway. Back then much of the talk on the board was about her and I think her tragic fate generated interest and caused a lot of people to Google, eventually leading them here. Now that our ship is made into toaster ovens and automobiles there is just not that interest driving people to CV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                ....And do we all have to know when a person makes dinner, takes a nap, is at an airport...., at a certain gate....
                Oh, dear friend, that sounds exactly like what I was posting on CVF after you'd sms'd me on your way to Paris....
                Just want to apologise if I've gone and put my wooden seagull feet in it, so to speak.

Comment

Oh, just take it easy, Cecilia....., I just gave you my flight numbers if you wanted to use flight tracker.
                  We have also had a habit on CVF to follow each other whenever we're out travelling, so you've done nothing wrong

What I ment was why does the FB'ers always feel the need to shout out every little detail about their life and exactly what they are doing every hour of the day...., themselves...?

As I've said in previuos posts in this thread:
                  I can see FB as a tool to solve certain "problems"/give answers to questions one might have, and for me personally, I use it as an old garden tool: I have it available, but it is in the innermost dark corner of my utility shed.

Most important, to whom it may concern:
                  I don't answer to anyone as to how I use FB, or what exactly I read there.
                  This thread started with a question (even though the questionmark was missing), and I answered.
                  If someone got a problem with that, that's not my problem!

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                    I wonder if the decline in new members is that we no longer have our star The Norway. Long ago I remember finding CV by looking for information about The Norway. Back then much of the talk on the board was about her and I think her tragic fate generated interest and caused a lot of people to Google, eventually leading them here. Now that our ship is made into toaster ovens and automobiles there is just not that interest driving people to CV.
                    I also wondered about that Dane. I think there is probably some truth in that. But not only the Norway, the years leading up to 2010 saw a flood of well known and loved cruise ships heading for the breakers due to the 2010 SOLAS regs coming into force. I think just about everyone of those ships were closely followed to the breakers on the forum. Maybe now the flood of those ships heading to the breakers has slowed to a trickle - not many left to make the trip, the interest has faded. This is even the case when it comes to the Norway, these days it is rare to have any new posts regarding her, a few years ago we would have dozens each day across the various Norway threads.

And quickly on the subject of F/B, don't worry Dane, just think, your probably one of only a handful of people on the planet that don't have to worry about what F/B book is doing with their personal information! Sounds like a good idea to me!
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      ....in many ways that saddens me. And one of the reasons for that is because i know i do not post anywhere near the amount that i used to. But that is not because i do not want to, or because i have lost the interest, it's simply because i struggle to concentrate these days. And that is simply down to the awful drugs i have to take to relieve pain, half the time i am feeling spaced out and on another planet somewhere, but even with them i still feel a fair amount of pain. It does leave me feeling guilty for not participating as much as i used to, especially when i see the forum getting quieter like it is.
                      Friend Steve - I think of you as that even though we have never met - there is no possible reason for you to feel guilty. You have had my deep admiration for a long time because of the way in which, when you come to CVF, you always sound as if you hadn't a care in the world. I, for one, appreciate what it must cost you and am delighted when I see you posting.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I am only on Facebook to keep up to date with my son, daughters and grandchildren, most of the time i find Facebook a lot of talk about nothing, so not that impressed with it.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

I use Facebook with caution- but at the same time use it a lot. (contradiction? no).

There are family and friends. There are people with similar interests. Some live nearby, most live at a distance. Often it allows family members to participate in the same (private) group and share family moments and plans.

I probably post too much- but it is usually of interest or relevence to at least 2 or 3 of my 'friends'.

It is not unknown for me to cancel friend connections if they keep posting repetitive junk or if our area of interest disappears.

There are certain things I don't post- my date of birth, where I live, what I'm doing until after I've done it... and other private information.

Comment

Oh, indeed a very hot potato aperantly.

I wonder if some of those comments were minted at me, for having spent some time on facebook?

My useless two cents worth is that a lot of my Thai friends, and former ship-mates, use facebook actively and I find it fascinating to follow what they are doing half away across the world and sit back imagining my time back there.

Yes, I do log on facebook automatically every single day, several times a day, but that is because it is easy to do, and easy read before making a quick escape.

It is very sad to hear that CVF is beyond it's "peak" and like a falling star. I do not however feel the same way, but I know there are tons of people in here that doesn't post, just read and copy the information to other forums. That is why I have sometimes wanted to close of availability to outsiders (not logged in): it is a way to better keep a control on who is actually signing in. But as I said, that is a totally different subject and my personal and useless two cents.

A hot potato, indeed... a hated child is also a loved child.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              It is very sad to hear that CVF is beyond it's "peak" and like a falling star. I do not however feel the same way, but I know there are tons of people in here that doesn't post, just read and copy the information to other forums.
                              I don't think CVF is past it's peak. There are dips in posting- people are busy, on holiday, have personal issues to attend to, computer/internet are down. Sometimes the postings may be outwith personal experience or interest. Sometimes there is just not much happening. It is the same on many forums.

What I post on CVF and Facebook are different in many cases although sometimes do overlap. Sometimes something raised on CVF or Facebook may be of interest to the other and so I'll post a link.

I'm sure that most of us shop in different places for different requirements- think of Forums/Facebook/Flickr in the same way

Comment

Working...
                              X