Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sterkoder is in the market for a new laptop pc (HEEEELP!!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sterkoder is in the market for a new laptop pc (HEEEELP!!!)

Nice Sterkoder! I'm on Win 7 on an Acer now after my last PC blew up, I quite like it after being on XP for so long.
    Vista though... eeeeeugh!!
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Notebook on Steroids

Nothing to do with Sterkoder's new Accer but I didn't want to start a new thread for one post. It has got to do with Computers anyhow.

While in Brunei two weeks ago my little Lenovo Notebook Computer, which I use when travelling, refused to work properly. The letter "k" on the keyboard did not work at all, but if I pressed any other letter, a row of "k"s resulted.
      Needless to say, I could not even open it, much less use it to send e-mails of write lengthy reports.

What to DOOO!!! I borough ed an external Keyboard from the IT department of my client and got a Computer repair shop to disconnect the built-in keyboard.

Here is my little "Notebook on Steroid" as it appeared with external Keyboard:

Looks like it is in intensive care, with all the wires sticking into it.

I did get some looks and a few comments carrying this arrangement around, while auditing 8 Marine Contracting companies in Brunei, but I got the jobs done.

Now is the question; what to buy in place of it???

Or should I just bring my presently "stationary" HP Laptop along on my next travel?

Alternatively bring an external keyboard and risk being the laughing stock in any office I happen to have to work in?

Any advise from CVF members are welcome, but may not be hided.

Comment

I can't answer your questions, my friend...., but I note that you too live in the wireless society (mohahahahaha).
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Looks like your laptop needs some CPR..... .

There are a lot of new models on the market right now, beautiful shiny laptops. and quite reasonably priced and suited towards many different kinds of uses.

Oh... wireless is just a myth...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

My "new" Acer (6 years old, going 7 shortly) is stalling on me. So I'm out looking again.
            Thinking of switching from pc to Mac, and I have a MacBook Pro 15,4" in my sight. What you good people say?

https://www.elkjop.no/product/data/b...a-skjerm-mjlq2

Comment

I have an 11" Mac Air which is almost 5 years old and it is still going strong. It has been a very good computer and has the same Magsafe 2 power connection as the Pro you are considering. What I found surprising is how well it handles my photo editing software. It's hardware specifications are not impressive when compared to PC's but it handles software with amazing efficiency.

Is the Mac Pro you are considering new or used? Here in the USA that model is no longer available. All Pro models in the USA only have Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of USB's which is very annoying.

Comment

Agree with Dane about how much a Mac seems to do with apparently less exciting hardware.

I use a Windows laptop for the day job, a Windows desktop for the publishing/design night-time job, and a MacBook Pro 13" for everything else.

The MBP is fast, light, and above all solid. The retina screen is gorgeous - but the day job laptop has a similar resolution screen. The software updates are regular and efficient, and most things run quickly. The best thing for me is probably the aluminium chassis, the whole thing tucks into my rucksack with the Nikon, and possibly a jumper and pair of socks, but doesn't feel like you're lugging a brick around. Battery life is great, and the integration with iPhone and iPad is very clever - just daft things like them sharing WiFi keys between them.

As Dane says, the new ones have USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of USB - I can live with that, but losing the SD card reader is a pain. I'll have to teach the MBP and camera to talk to each other via WiFi, no reason not to, but it was easy to swap little bits of plastic around.

I stick to the desktop with Windows partly because it's easier to guarantee compatibility with clients (and CVF!) by having a PC and a Mac, but also because if a bit gets old or outdated it's easy to swap it out and replace with a new one. No hope of doing that with MacBook or iMac. (I'm hoping that Mrs PoloUK doesn't look for modern, fast replacements for a old and outdated husband).

Downside - cost. I am fortunate enough to be able to get a good discount through my day job, but it's still hundreds of pounds more for the Mac. Upside though is that a three year old Mac is still fully supported and can keep up with all modern software and bits and pieces.

It will take a little while to get used to Mac OS though - even having used Macs for around five years, I still find Windows folders and files more intuitive. There are quirks, but generally the Mac is great.

Finally - I've found that I've learnt to love the Mac. It's travelled everywhere with us (it likes Hurtigruter!), and is part of the family (we call her Lisa). I've never got as attached to a PC.

Hope that helps a little, and that it's relatively balanced!!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
                  Tommi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just jump in here for a quickie,
                  this MAC vs PC discussion have been going on almost forever. First time I got engaged to it was when the decision was more between Amiga vs Mac vs PC...
                  The operating system is of a different flavor, while the applications tend to be more and more the same nowadays.
                  Generally you get a more stable hardware when buying a Mac, but that comes with a price, and yes - there are stable PC's too.
                  Myself I'm running an i7 desktop PC that probably is at least 6-7 years now, mostly updated the graphics card to cope with a 4K monitor. It works very smoothly, but I'll replace the guts during this winter. At work the button pressing is done on a 13" HP laptop, it's not luxurious, but still very light to travel with.

Purchased a MacBook Pro 15,4" today.
                I'm so happy and surprised at how easy the setup was and how easy Apple make things. And totally compatible with my iPhone (of course) on top of it all. I will NEVER go back to a Microsoft pc for private use.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                  Sterkoder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you.
                  A thought of "why didn't I do this from the beginning" hang over my head. I will never go back to a pc and Windows again.
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; December 11th, 2017, 20:03.

• pilotdane
                  pilotdane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does your computer have traditional USB or USB-C/Thunderbolt? Apple doing away with USB is a major reason why I haven't upgraded my laptop.

• Sterkoder
                  Sterkoder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My MacBook has two USB ports

I haven't payed so much attention to what equipment you guys out there are using, but if there are any other MacBook or Mac user out there: do you know of a photo editing program (free) which allows me to resize my images?
                I have tried out a few, including LightRoom, but didn't like any. And much to my surprise, LR don't let me resize.
                Tried Photopad also, but they expect me buying the program after a free trial (same as LR).
                Used FastStone on my pc, but they are only Windows compatible, so now I don't have an editing program suitable for me. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi - XnViewMP is the nearest Mac equivalent to Faststone, but I don't find it as easy to use as Faststone on the PC.

Lightroom will let you resize - but it's not an editor like that - you export at a different size, you can use plugins like Mogrify to let you do all sorts of things. It took me a while to 'get' the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop, Tommi did a great job of explaining the difference - and the power of LR - to me. Nowadays I use LR all the time, and Photoshop sometimes.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes,
                    The beauty, and agony, with Lightroom is that it is a completely different way to approach your photo editing workflow.
                    You do your editing, it all stays the way you left it, then you export the pictures in whatever size you want.

Comment

I tried out the trial LR again, and found that I could change the size of the edited picture before I export to, let's say a folder on Desktop.
                      As a FastStone user on pc, I find LR on Mac EXTREEMLY difficult to get used to.
                      And as for Photoshop..., when will I as an amateur photographer ever need that? Heard that PS is filled with so much you don't need, but since it's there, you have to pay for.
                      Anyway, in a few days, my free trial LR CC close, and I have to find a suitable editing program. Might try out the XnViewMP. Thanks for the tips, PoloUK :-)

Comment

• pilotdane
                        pilotdane commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What about Lightroom is difficult? I have it running on both PC and Mac and don't notice any difference.

The most difficult thing is that I've never used it before. So this is an "operator" problem. Other than that (getting used to), I personally think it's a problem that I can't down size my pictures before clicking on the "store" or "save" icon in the upper right hand corner.

Comment

I also upgraded my Mac recently Svein. The new one is cute, but I'm not yet sure about the USB-C connectors. It's good that all the connectors are the same, but it's a pain that I need an adaptor to plug an SD card from the camera in, or even a USB lead! I did find a relatively affordable USB-C hub online though, that gives me charging, network, the USB hub and SD cards all from the same place.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

No problem with my two USB ports, nor using an SD card.
                          Also found an app to a suitable editing program for me, it's called Photo Editor PixelStyle.

Comment

Working...
                          X