Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sterkoder is in the market for a new laptop pc (HEEEELP!!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterkoder is in the market for a new laptop pc (HEEEELP!!!)

Nope, not help in the way we did it in the camera thread...., me waving back and forth never landing on an alternative.
    I just want to hear your opinion on two I've picked out as candidates (and mind you, please, I don't have the money to go Apple) :

1) ASUS X72JR 17,3" http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=610165#extra

2) ACER AS7741G 17,3" https://www.ardata.no/ardata/default...%2EPXB02%2E112

I know the links are in norwegian, but vital info is understandable also in english (I guess).

(My laptop today is an ACER TravelMate 5620 17" low RAM and only 120GB harddisk)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

My pick is for the Asus even though the Acer has 2gb more memory. Before buying my netbook I looked into reliability and Asus is #1 for netbooks and notebooks. Here is the article: http://www.electronista.com/articles...ple.4th.place/ My wife's Asus notebook is 15 months old and trouble free.

Comment

I have to agree with Dane. Just spent a while researching both and came to exactly the same conclusion, Asus seem to have the better reputation for reliability. Both have very similar specs - the Acer slightly ahead, but reliability is everything.

And i would say the Asus looks rather neat, sleek brown case, it will stand out from the crowd.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thank you so far, guys!

I know I'm in "Apple-land" in here, but since I don't have 'a ticket' I need a new laptop pc with more than 120GB harddisk when almost all I do is picture processing...

Got a strong hint about the ASUS yesterday, so I had almost decided...., and since you two went for alternative #1 straight away, there can be no doubt

Comment

Sorry, i am not able to agree! My office laptop for more than five years was an Acer and runned very well. Now this is our home laptop. The display is outstanding good and we never had any problems. The Acer here has the faster processor, howewer this is no high quality product. The Intel i5-460M has an intelligent turbo system, that tunes up the perfomance to a middle class processor. The Pentium 6100 of the Asus is the most simple basic processor for beginners. Are you a beginner?
          The software package coming with the Acer is better and since my experiences with Acer are good, i would go for the Acer, no doubt.
          However each new laptop is a new puzzle and they all are sampled together in a similar way...at the end all are grabbing in the same big box of components.

(In the office i am using a Dell now, it has a similar processor than this Acer and this is for my experience really fast, however the housing of the Dell is poor quality)
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Where was I when I said ASUS...????? In the blind zone..??

Everything is better for a semi-pro with the ACER.
            (I've used ACER myself since I don't know when, and the only thing negative is a mechanical failure. Nope..., belive a new ACER will come to my home soon).

I'm amazed I didn't see the differences myself, and embarrassed I even had to ask.
            But, like with the camera, here I am rolling back and forth like a boat in heavy seas
            Last edited by Sterkoder; March 8th, 2011, 12:42.

Comment

For what it's worth......When I bought Alix's computer for Christmas, I got her an Asus. The guy at Best Buy told me that they were the best for gaming (not that you are going to be doing THAT). They used to make very reliable parts for computers before they went on their own, and they are a good value......

Her mega-gaming computer only has 6 gb of ram...do you need all that just for photo editing???

Comment

Her mega-gaming computer only has 6 gb of ram...do you need all that just for photo editing???
                Dunno...(dunno)

I have a personal need of a fast pc, large screen, large harddisk, good graphic card, silent cooling fan and I'm sure there's also a couple of more needs.

Other than that, asking me about pc's is like asking a carpenter how to weld..., or something like that...

Comment

So, now you just need to find an Asus with a better processor.

Oh, what color are you getting. I clicked on black but then I noticed that the blue one was less expensive. Then I noticed the red one was even less expensive. Then I noticed that the white one was even less expensive so I took the black one out of my shopping cart and clicked "buy" on the white one. After I got home my wife said "are you crazy?" "do you know how nasty looking a white keyboard will get?". So I had to call the store and change my order to red.

Comment

Yeah...., how'bout that...

Life is a series of decisions, so I guess I'll have to do this all by my self.
                    As for the camera, I get as many different opinions as there are cameras, so as for the pc laptop, I'll just have to decide and go for it.

Looked into an Apple iBook 17" yesterday.
                    I mean, with almost the same technical content, 2GB lower RAM and a harddisc which were 140GB smaller than the Acer...., why's Apple asking over NOK 18.000,- more in comparison to the pc....? Are we paying for the brand and "trendyness"??
                    I know that the Apple equipment has almost no virus attacks, but with a good anti-virus program, is that alone worth 18.000,-?

I might be lighting a fire here, but that much we must take

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post

Oh, what color are you getting. I clicked on black but then I noticed that the blue one was less expensive. Then I noticed the red one was even less expensive. Then I noticed that the white one was even less expensive so I took the black one out of my shopping cart and clicked "buy" on the white one. After I got home my wife said "are you crazy?" "do you know how nasty looking a white keyboard will get?". So I had to call the store and change my order to red.
                      So funny..... For a second, I was wondering if someone at work hacked you.... The LAST question I would expect from YOU, Dane is "what color are you getting?"

Big S---what I learned at the Apple store is that RAM in PCs and RAM in Macs is like comparing apples to orangutans----they actually talked me OUT of spending the extra $US 400 on more RAM.

Just a tiny piece of advice...if the customer service in Norway is the same as the customer service in the US... Don't you DARE walk into the Apple Store....you will go over to the dark side. Trust me...it happened to me. They were AMAZING.
                      I'm slowly working my way through ALL the tutorials they provide...and every half-hour or so, I slap my forehead and say "why didn't I do this years ago?"

Comment

Two day and no new news?

What color computer did you buy?

Comment

Probably the pretty one..................

Comment

Patience, my friends....., patience!

As long as my old Acer is working, I'm not in such a hurry as I was the first time I experienced the "screen black out".
                            Some times I'm lucky and the screed decide to lighten up, and sometimes I have to plug in an external screen.
                            You see, the pc itself is working perfect....

But if some of you are very impatient, I can tell you right now that when the day come and I go to the dealer, I will leave the store with a black Acer 17,3" screen 6GB RAM 640GB HardDisc....

Comment

I think he'll buy a blue one.

Comment

Working...
                              X