Clipper's Watercolour Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clipper's Watercolour Thread

The standard set in "Sterkoder's Art Thread" is high and I can't really match it but here goes with some Clipper art .....

..... once I remember where I upload images to these days ...
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.
    The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Originally posted by Clipper View Post
    The standard set in "Sterkoder's Art Thread" is high and I can't really match it but here goes with some Clipper art .....

..... once I remember where I upload images to these days ...
    Eagerly awaiting your art to display.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Clipper
      Clipper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm on the case Captain. Just need to find the time. This weekend was hectic.

Deck plan geek.

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! Good that you opened this thread! The clouds are something to watch. There is a lot of different movements in it. Just let it flow in your mind. Thank you!

• Clipper
      Clipper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Cecilia, Ralf. The sky here was very experimental but it happened to work. I don't yet know whether it is repeatable.
      By the way, it was very simple and quick.

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      In spite of the common idea, watercolour is not an easy exercice. It needs a good eye and a steady hand. I do like this composition, both precise and poetic which gives you a perfume of undergrowth.

Apart from landscapes, I also like to paint trains. This one is the 2002 Tornado set in a scene originally painted by Claude Monet.

58_tornado_after_Monet
    Deck plan geek.

Comment

You seem to have a very nice sense for colors. These are clearly enjoyable!

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Tommi. I'm not completely responsible for the colours. I use a tried and tested palette of colours that are known to work well together. A kiss of death with watercolour is to buy one of those monster kits with 50 colours, then being tempted to use most of them in every painting.

great paintings.
      i like those were you can see what it is, instead of those paintings were i can't see what the artisit want to show.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        Thijs, nine out of ten of my paintings are like that, but nobody sees them.

Wow, nice!

You got your style and I got mine, so a direct comparison should not be made between the threads, anyway...., I enjoy trains and like the 2002 Tornado one, but I must admit to really love your first entry. Well done!!!
      I haven't done much watercolor, but I've watched all of the tv-programs from Alwyn Crawshaw (and his wife June). What I really enjoy about Crawshaw is not his way of doing watercolors, but his way to use the pencil, the way he draw. Fantastic artist in my view, but that might have to do with the fact that I love the plane pencil and paper myself.

Keep up the work, Clipper..., keep it coming. I enjoy your art!!!
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Svein, it's always good to have encouragement from a fellow artist.

Well done, although you can clearly see the perspective lines, which make the painting quite straight. This is a harsh contrast to the softness of watercolor. But this is just me...
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ralf, I know what you mean. Monet's original was very much an exercise in perspective but he more successfully broke up the straight lines with inexactitudes. I expect he free-handed it whereas I used a ruler. It's something I need to work on.

Here's a townscape heavily based on an early Edouard Léon Cortès.

Deck plan geek.

Comment

And another

61_winter_street_2
        Deck plan geek.

Comment

That is impressing! And here you can see the difference. While we have in the first painting the straight lines again which look not naturally, especially at the houses, these lines are interrupted in the second painting. Much more life in here. Does not matter that the perspective is not as perfect as in the first one (windows in the right building). Very nice color composition in both!
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I love them, especially the first one, perhaps because of the way the road leads into the distant, and because of the connection with the skies. These are actually brilliant. Well done, Clipper!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Clipper
              Clipper commented
              Editing a comment
              Captain, both Cortès originals are way better than my copies. He was an absolute master, which is why I want to learn from him.

Cortès (1882 - 1969) was the youngest of a group of four painters who together defined a genre known today as "Parisianism". The other three were Luigi Loir (1845 - 1916), Jean Beraud (1849 - 1936) and Eugene Galien-Laloue (1854 - 1941). They deserve to be much better known.

A notable artist who painted American scenes in the the style of Cortès is Gerald Harvey Jones (1933 - 2017). His work is quite stunning.
              Last edited by Clipper; March 7th, 2019, 05:26.
          Working...
          X