Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHIT-CHAT Zone

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    Hahahahaha....., if Norway will survive two of us...? I don't know. Rather; yes, I'm sure!
    You know, we were THREE CVF members in one small boat down in KristiansAnd this past summer, so it is doable....

    The camera?
    Well, I've been in for quite a challenge over the past weeks, trying to figure out what to get out of Canon EOS 550D , Nikon D3100 and Pentax K-X.
    14 days ago I decided it was time to stop all the thinking, and I decided to go for the Canon with a 50-250mm Canon lense.

    Now, today, after spending an hour in the dealers shop, holding all three cameras in my hands, talking cameras and techniques with him and his professional photographer daughter, I ended up with the Pentax K-X with a 18-55mm lense, and in the pre-Christmas offer I also got the Pentax 50-200mm lense included.
    (You'll have to Google PENTAX K-X to read tests and all, Paul).
    The camera has won "Best in Test" with our experts in a website called DinSide and our norwegian tv-channel TV2. It also won "Best Camera" in the entry level category at TIPA Awards 2010 (Technical Image Press Association)

    Here's the other results:
    Best DSLR Entry Level: Pentax K-x
    Best DSLR Advanced: Canon EOS 550D
    Best DSLR Expert: Canon EOS 7D
    Best DSLR Professional: Nikon D3s

    I usually don't let such awards decide what I'll buy, but it might have played a small role. The main thing today was the fact that I got the 50-200mm lense with the package, and that the Pentax in fact felt the best in my hands.....
    Last edited by Sterkoder; December 19th, 2010, 01:58.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

    Comment


      #92
      Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Hahahahaha....., if Norway will survive two of us...? I don't know. Rather; yes, I'm sure!
      You know, we were THREE CVF members in one small boat down in KristiansAnd this past summer, so it is doable....

      The camera?
      Well, I've been in for quite a challenge over the past weeks, trying to figure out what to get out of Canon EOS 550D , Nikon D3100 and Pentax K-X.
      14 days ago I decided it was time to stop all the thinking, and I decided to go for the Canon with a 50-250mm Canon lense.

      Now, today, after spending an hour in the dealers shop, holding all three cameras in my hands, talking cameras and techniques with him and his professional photographer daughter, I ended up with the Pentax K-X with a 18-55mm lense, and in the pre-Christmas offer I also got the Pentax 50-200mm lense included.
      (You'll have to Google PENTAX K-X to read tests and all, Paul).
      The camera has won "Best in Test" with our experts in a website called DinSide and our norwegian tv-channel TV2. It also won "Best Camera" in the entry level category at TIPA Awards 2010 (Technical Image Press Association)

      Here's the other results:
      Best DSLR Entry Level: Pentax K-x
      Best DSLR Advanced: Canon EOS 550D
      Best DSLR Expert: Canon EOS 7D
      Best DSLR Professional: Nikon D3s

      I usually don't let such awards decide what I'll buy, but it might have played a small role. The main thing today was the fact that I got the 50-200mm lense with the package, and that the Pentax in fact felt the best in my hands.....
      I'm sure Norway would shake with laughing at the two of us, and probably end up being just as drunk! Twice!! lol
      Definitely I'll be trying to figure out a way of making that date in the future!

      Yes indeed! Pentax K-X is a great thoroughbred camera and with the two lenses you'll be set for a long long time. I'll look forward to those photos soon enough.
      Pentax would be a camera I'd go for myself if it wasn't for having a few lenses from our family Nikon to interchange with. My sister had a Pentax film camera and always said it was the best camera she'd ever had, I only tried it out on a couple of photos and I agreed with what she said. Great camera's and a great history of pedigree.

      Although I have the Nikon D60 and Olympus SP550-UZ, my Panasonic FZ38 gets the most use. I get into the most inhospitable places when photographing, places where I shouldn't be and sometimes dangerous. Hanging off 20-40 meter structures with my foot wrapped around a steel cable can be described as lunacy, well it is actually. lol
      But I do tend to get the shots that I'm after. So my compact FZ38 does the job for those situations. Although I try to not do this so much these days, I'm not getting any younger and I'm getting a little too afraid of getting it wrong!!

      Funny enough I just added up the photos I've taken since last 5th July 2009 to 17th Dec 2010 and the total comes to 23,795 photos. Ooops!
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

      Comment


        #93
        I'm impressed with your photographic career, and the fact that you've managed to shoot close to 24.000 pictures in just 18 months!
        Would be Christmas Eve twice if we were to see some of your images in a thread...., images taken hanging from a foot and all that....
        The amazing thing is, after buying my third camera in 6 years, I'm looking at my surroundings in a totally different way.
        I see motifs EVERYWHERE and photography as a hobby has opened my eyes in a way I didn't knew possible a few years back.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

        Comment


          #94
          Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          I'm impressed with your photographic career, and the fact that you've managed to shoot close to 24.000 pictures in just 18 months!
          Would be Christmas Eve twice if we were to see some of your images in a thread...., images taken hanging from a foot and all that....
          The amazing thing is, after buying my third camera in 6 years, I'm looking at my surroundings in a totally different way.
          I see motifs EVERYWHERE and photography as a hobby has opened my eyes in a way I didn't knew possible a few years back.
          Ah my friend, although I've taken this many photos I am still and always will be an amateur photographer. I have been taking photos since about 1970 on various small cameras, a vast amount of them need to be scanned as they are just on negatives. The 24,000 are only possible because of digital, and also because I have a bad habit of taking a colour and B&W version of everything. A lot of photos I've taken could have been thrown or deleted but I kind of wanted to keep them for nostalgic reasons or because I just can't throw anything out... much to my wife's dismay. She thinks I horde stuff too much! lol
          Actually it was my sister who made me look further than what was in front of me, she always knows a good picture when she sees one. And I've learnt from her... and still learning.
          It would be even better if I read the manual, but being a man, I don't too much. Ivy & Lady E & my wife will jump on me for saying that! lol
          I'll have a look around and dig out some of the more crazy images, but I sort of keep them hidden from family as they would go nuts.
          i think they call that a typical male though! lol
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

          Comment


            #95
            Well, big S- see if you can find a distillery listed on your John Lee Bourbon. All I can find out about it is that others have bought it in Europe. It's not available in the US and I can't find any info on it on the web. Is it tasty?? Do you like it?

            With me, it's usually Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. But I've been on a wine kick recently......don't even have any bourbon in the house right now!!!!

            Comment


              #96
              big man that hates winter, who can't bare the cold ,the snow,ice (besides in there wiskey).
              how do they call them,eh eh eh. o wait i remember it again

              SISSIES

              i just love winter with al the snow,we have here now about 10 centimeters of snow.
              and i am a truckdriver and stand a lot in trafficjams,thanks to cardrivers who shit's there pands full when they see a snowflake.
              just taking care of that i have enough diesel for the heater.

              but what would be more idealic?? for christmas than snow.
              iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaminggggggg
              oooff aaaaa white christmasssssssssssss.
              ho wait, i can't sing,sorry
              best regards Thijs

              Comment


                #97
                Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                It would be even better if I read the manual, but being a man, I don't too much. Ivy & Lady E & my wife will jump on me for saying that! lol
                I'll have a look around and dig out some of the more crazy images, but I sort of keep them hidden from family as they would go nuts.
                i think they call that a typical male though! lol
                Don't be ***ist, you so-and-so. I'm still wondering about various things on my car, and one day in desparation might just open the handbook to see if it knows. My experience of manuals, if "translated" from other languages is that they really ought to employ a skilled interpreter instead of relying on WordMonkey. When I first had my little Seat I was trying to understand the manual's complicated offerings and kept meeting a word which puzzled me until I realised it simply meant "ignition". In the end I just got in and drove. Such a vital word to get right. You think they would have made the effort to pick the right one!
                Ivy

                "To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

                Comment


                  #98
                  it seems that we have a long way to go,before we reach the number 1 spot.
                  just onemillionninehundredseventhyonethousendsevenhundr edtherthytwo site's to beat.

                  1,971,732 is maybe easier

                  http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/captainsvoyage-forum.com#
                  best regards Thijs

                  Comment


                    #99
                    I need to take a moment to thank SAINTSFCFAN for starting this chit-chat thread. Just what I need to start my day...(as most of yours are already well underway!)
                    Having my cup of coffee next to me (hope there are no funnies from Big S or any of you others...) and reading through everyone's Sunday morning posts...WONDERFUL!
                    THANKS PAUL!!!!!

                    Comment


                      it seems that we have a long way to go,before we reach the number 1 spot.
                      just onemillionninehundredseventhyonethousendsevenhundr edtherthytwo site's to beat.

                      1,971,732 is maybe easier

                      http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/captainsvoyage-forum.com#
                      Interesting, I didn't know this site as I use Google Analytics. That bounce rate is too high, shame. And looking at the search engine queries which bring visitors to CVF, they are hardly typical of what our forum is about! This is why I bang on about tags, as we are graphics heavy with comparatively little text and spiders don't read graphics. If only the software allowed more tags per thread then search engines would pick up on them and we could really go to town in attracting visitors.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; December 19th, 2010, 16:42.
                      Ivy

                      "To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

                      Comment


                        I've just been reading about all the travel delays with the weather most of y'all have right now..which makes me ask for a round of "how much snow do we have right now" weather reports!!!! Find a meter stick and let me know. Here it's just overcast....and 4c......balmy for you!!!!!!!!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          Well, big S- see if you can find a distillery listed on your John Lee Bourbon. All I can find out about it is that others have bought it in Europe. It's not available in the US and I can't find any info on it on the web. Is it tasty?? Do you like it?

                          With me, it's usually Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. But I've been on a wine kick recently......don't even have any bourbon in the house right now!!!!
                          All I find on the bottle is that its content is bottled in France, imported from USA, where the bourbon has been for ages on oak barrels some place in Kentucky.

                          It taste like bourbon all right, but it's more mild and round in the taste. I belive, compared to other bourbon, that it taste good...., and both caramel and vanilla (I think) is present.
                          I've drunk much which has tasted worse, a lot....
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by ehp View Post
                            ....Find a meter stick and let me know.... !
                            Only 14 cm here –we had a day and a half of rapid thaw, then the temperature dropped dramatically and ice became the problem, but we escaped the heavy snow that caught out the south of England.

                            Then snow showers yesterday, which is the 14cm.
                            However that is counting from zero – in other places where the first round of snow hadn’t melted in the shade, or had been shovelled or drifted, the meter stick you mention might not be long enough….

                            The cold day with ice after the thaw was worst. Really treacherous to walk, and I was struggling to stock up with food shopping – couldn’t manage my camera as well so that tells you what it was like more than any measurement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Comment


                              Ivy! Didn’t want to interrupt the flow in your Outback thread, but just HAD to enthuse about post #96 there.
                              Now that is one hell of a cliff-hanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Comment


                                Oh, ha-ha-ha-ha! Do you think I'd do alright writing scripts for the Archers? It was almost headline news this morning on the Today programme that "The Archers will never be the same again" as apparently something world-shaking will happen on Tuesday. My parents and I used to be avid listeners when it started in the 50's and I listened for several years, but wouldn't know who's who now.
                                Thank you, Cecilia. I hope what went on inside will be of interest, I was over the moon, but then it's all relative and many folk will no doubt say "Oh yeah..... so what?" Not you, though, methinks.
                                Ivy

                                "To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X