Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh my dear good man, do be quiet. In this part of England (East Anglia) we are only just beginning to have higher temperatures and an absence of biting winds. Spring has been a non-event. Even my runner beans have gone down the other way to find Oz.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• No wonder that the Brits wanted to leave EU. Look what they have been told about it over the years: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ams-to-condoms

Comment

• I will not comment the Brexit episod.
      just this thought by a contitutionalist:the referendum is an excellent democratic tool as long as we do not use it.

Comment

• Why leave a good tool rusting in the drawer without trying it out sometimes?
        Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          I think he means that the referendum upsets the balance between the Executive and the Legislative.In our democraties, the Parliament controls the action of the Government.When this one uses the referendum it is a way to be free from the constitutional supervision of the elected representative.
          So, to be used thriftily!

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Yves, there is a little demon somewhere inside me that likes to play devil's advocate just for the hell of it. This time I let it out!

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          A devil's advocat is still an advocat Ivy!
          Anyway,about the referendum I think Brits and Frenchies have not the same feeling because in French history it unfortunately was used as a plebiscite that is anything but democracy.

• Here is my take on how the British Isles will be governed in 3-5 years time:
        - The UK will have broken up and ceased to exist as a political or national entity.
        - Scotland will have obtained independence and, if not yet a full member of the EU, then with some sort of affiliation similar to Norway or Switzerland.
        - Northern Ireland would have formed a Federation or similar with the Republic of Ireland, thus still be in the EU by association.
        - England and Wales will be in some sort of Union, or Federation, but still trying to come to terms with their exclusion from the EU Common Market.
        - The Parliament in Westminster will be the English Parliament only. (Wales will have their own Assembly and internal governance)
        - Since the UK no longer exists, the new countries created by the breakup will have to re-apply to be member of various International organizations, such as UN, NATOand a whole host of others. (Incl. WTO, which is seen as the alternative trading arrangement with the Common Market)
        -
        UK's seat as a permanent member of UN Security Council will not automatically be transferred to England, which may bring on other changes at the UN.
        - The Commonwealth may break up as an organization, as the glue was the British inheritance shared by the members. (No UK, no Britain?)

The above is assuming that Britain doesn't just accept the terms imposed by EU to have access to the Common Market, incl. free movement of labour.
        In which case what appears to have been the main reason for Brexit in the first place, reduced migration from other EU countries, will not be obtained.

The 3rd scenario is that the EU itself breakups, in which case all predictions are off.

How close will my predictions be to reality in 3-5 years time?? Who knows.

Now I'm awaiting the frying pan.

Comment

• I wondered when Ombugge would start pontificating. What kept you?
          I'm really not feeling like a good discussion at the moment. And maybe this isn't the place, anyway. But I will say that I'm deeply disappointed that you didn't go on to elaborate on your 3rd scenario. All predictions are off, you say. But surely you have some with which to replace them? Actually, Ombugge, there have been rumblings in two or three EU member states for some years, and the big worry for the EU now is whether those rumblings will turn thunderous. http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...urity-economy/
          Meanwhile. oh boy! are we in for a gigantic rollercoaster ride now. Bring on Dvorak's New World symphony at full blast. Or the 1812 Overture. Wa-hey......
          Ivy

Comment

• Hi everyone, I am still alive lol although i haven't added any photos for a while.. I am off to Sorrento, Italy next week so i may have some new photos to add of my visit , thats if i have no problems with Photobucket and i can remember what to do ..lol love to all .. kiki

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• I look forward to seeing the pics. Kiki. Enjoy yourself (I know you will!).
              Ivy

Comment

• kiki42
                kiki42 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Ivy, well i managed to add the photos from Photobucket . The hotel was situated high up, so the view was amazing and surrounded by the hills. the weather was great too. As usual I wanted to stay longer... . x

• Oh boy, oh boy, have I been having fun - NOT.
              My ISP has three levels for Broadband usage and I have the lowest level, which was 10 GB per month until July of this year, when they upped it to 12. Overall, I think my usage is somewhere around 6. I don't download movies, don't play games - at least not the sort to be got online - I do nothing which involves plonking large dollops of heaven knows what on my hard drive.
              7 October I had an email from ISP to say that I had already used over 7 GB of my allowance (in 7 days!!) Next day I checked my usage online. It contradicted the email. I had used not 7 GB but 12.79. I was alarmed and puzzled.
              9 October another email warned in sorrowful tones that I was really close to my cap, having used over 9 GB. I checked again, finding my usage had outstripped my cap by a further amount and yet it was for exactly the same period – to the minute – as on my first check. Now I was alarmed, puzzled and hopping mad. So on to ISP Help, where I had a very good woman who heard my string of happenings, took it all in and said she would investigate. She promised to ring back within a time slot the following day. This she did and asked if I had downloaded from Sky. What sort of Sky I have no idea - movies, no doubt, and I assured her that I had not. Apparently it was this that had accounted for my sudden increase. She promised a ring-back. Yesterday another girl duly rang to check a few details.
              Then this morning the second girl rang again, asked me to go online and Google www.whatismyip. I read it out to her, and after a while she announced that she'd checked my line and there was a fault. That could be the answer. My line is cosying up to its neighbour and grabbing some of its transmissions. So an engineer will come out to investigate on Monday, the Help girl will ring me Tuesday and with any luck all will be well. If all is not well it is difficult to know what to do. Formal written complaint, Ombudsman......
              Both girls on the job were really courteous, helpful and efficient, promising to ring me back at each stage and giving a time slot which they kept to.

PS. Before the second ISP girl rang this morning, I had sent an email to someone. Then just a while ago I tried to send another mail. Wouldn't go. It couldn't find the ISP. I was already online to CVF (or so I thought) and wrote and tried to post this. Impossible. No connection at all. When the girl had checked my line had she cut it in two while she was at it? I wondered whether to have a nervous breakdown straight away or start with the screaming ab-dabs. I saved my post into Word and trudged downstairs, wimpering.

Then I saw what I recognised as the ISP’s engineer’s van go past. Was it for me? Yep.He was in the area, had time and had called to sort it out, having already checked down the manhole up a side street where the line is undergrounded and, finding a poor connection, had repaired it. So up the pole where my line is (see pics.) and in a few moments all was well.

P1200002 by Ivy, on Flickr

P1200004 by Ivy, on Flickr

PPS. Cannot upload this. Preview gets "Error loading Preview." "Post Reply" gets "Empty Response". Will try again. Wow, it's worked after going onto another thread and posting there. Does life HAVE to be so difficult?
              Ivy

Comment

• Sorry the world's been picking on you Ivy - but it's lovely to hear from you anyway!

Delighted that the nice man has made sure you have the right connections again. All this technology, global links via satellite and glass fibre, huge amounts of processing power and data, and yet for nearly all of us it comes down to a little bit of wire coming into the house, often from quite a long way away.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Cautiously, I think I can say my problem is over. I just checked my Broadband usage for yesterday, the first full day since man-up-pole sorted things. The result showed only a 0.03 GB increase over the previous day. That's more like it!
                  A cautious hurrah. Phew.
                  Ivy

Comment

Working...
                  X