This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    Another pet hate of mine when it comes to tv programs is the way they break stories up into small sections, real life programs - animal rescue, rogue traders etc are always doing this, you just get into a story when they leave it and start another story, then, when you just get into that one they then switch back to the first story!
    I agree there, Steve. And another case, though reverting to the radio, if they are doing a trailer for a forthcoming programme, the time when it will be broadcast is given in small doses: blah blah blah.... on Friday...... 3 December...... at..... 6p.m.
    Do they think we are unable to take in more than a few words at a time, or that if they give us all the story at one go our poor brains will get bored and unable to concentrate?
    Oh well........, I think........ I ......... will ........now.........stop........moaning........
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Do you all realise that Voyager 1, the space probe that set off in 1977, is just about to break out of the known universe? Surprising what comes up in the Radio 4 five-minute slot: "Thought for the day". 33 years and still going........ (Voyager 1, that is!)
      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Do you all realise that Voyager 1, the space probe that set off in 1977, is just about to break out of the known universe? Surprising what comes up in the Radio 4 five-minute slot: "Thought for the day". 33 years and still going........ (Voyager 1, that is!)
        I think BBC may have exaggerated a bit; http://www.gizmag.com/voyager-1-spac...-system/17285/

Comment

Well, the words were mine, so blame me, Ombugge, not the poor old BBC.
          Actually, the Thought for the Day is a religious/humanist piece by an invited speaker, a different person each time.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; December 16th, 2010, 15:36.
          Ivy

Comment

Thankx for the link ombugge, and the original thought, Ivy....that is really amazing.
            To think that Voyager was launched when computers were something only governments had (well, almost!) and baccalaureate theses were typed on things called TYPEWRITERS........
            (well, the typewriter thingy is how I explain how OLD I am to my kids' friends..............LOL)

Comment

It's funny, really. People old enough to remember how they felt at the time of the moon landing still think of it with wonder. In centuries to come when people will no doubt have colonised Mars all that wonder will have dissipated, their view of historical discovery will be compacted and they'll think of it as we think of the discoveries of Cook, Drake and co., just something in whatever their equivalent of history books is. Mind you, though, maybe they'll have perfected time travel by then and will experience everything first hand if they wish. Push the right button and you'll be on Noah's Ark, snuggling up to a couple of lions.
              Ivy

Comment

Funny--the words "snuggle" and "lions" in the same sentence.................

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                  Funny--the words "snuggle" and "lions" in the same sentence.................
                  You know, they are just big cats.....
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Big Cats = Big "cat temper" when crossed............

Comment

Well, well, my home town is in the news, almost. Julian Assange's temporary home is about 3 miles away at Ellingham. The media are going to have fun besieging him at the moment as, knowing Ellingham, it'll be completely snowed under right now, it's bad enough here after yesterday's falls.
                      Ivy

Comment

Just thought I'd drop you all a line to say hi.
                        I'm still here and just barely surviving -10deg, I've been basically in bed until late yesterday night from whatever it is that makes you shiver and shake.
                        Anyway, for now I'm on the mend and still can't stand the cold. I have a photo shoot tomorrow and I'm still unsteady on my feet, now that'll be fun!

Here is something that made me smile, I took this on June 27th of this year at 30deg of road melting heat. Happy days!!
                        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I've been basically in bed until late yesterday night from whatever it is that makes you shiver and shake.
                          And he goes out on a photo shoot tomorrow - must be mad For goodness sake don't come back with a broken leg or it'll be ages before we see the pics. I wonder what sort of subjects you're going to look for? I'm looking forward to seeing them whatever they are, anyway.
                          Good to hear from you, Paul. Take care.
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            And he goes out on a photo shoot tomorrow - must be mad For goodness sake don't come back with a broken leg or it'll be ages before we see the pics. I wonder what sort of subjects you're going to look for? I'm looking forward to seeing them whatever they are, anyway.
                            Good to hear from you, Paul. Take care.
                            Ah Ivy, the photoshoots been organised for quite a while. Unfortunately we only meet a few times a year so it's a must do thing, I really would rather be in a warm house than in -6 as it will be around 4-5pm tomorrow.
                            The subject.... yes, well. Some bright spark thought it would a nice idea to photograph Christmas lights and snowy scenes, considering that one of us has just had his pot off, one has just recovered from a broken arm, one has just come back from 40deg and me that was mostly delirious on Tuesday.... it doesn't have great credentials for a smooth event!
                            I'll let you know how it goes, provided that I'm still coherent after 6pm!

Comment

So nice to "hear" from you, Paul!!!!
                              I think you and me are much alike now at these times of the year, as we both long for hot summer weather.
                              My daughter loves snow, skiing, and all that comes with cold weather, so for the peace of the house, I must tend to "like" the season too....., but between me and you; I HATE winter!!!
                              Today, after buying myself a new camera, I also bought a bottle of whiskey, Kentucky straight bourbon I've never heared of before, 'John Lee'.
                              I enjoy good bourbon, so next week-end, I'll open the bottle and have a taste.

Mayby our dear E could tell us more about it....?

Oh, well...., great place to be this CVF on a saturday night after children and fiance has gone to bed

Great to hear from you again, Paul!
                              I've met several of the members in here in real life, and if there's someone I would very much like to meet, it's you.
                              Hope it can be arranged some time...
                              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                                So nice to "hear" from you, Paul!!!!
                                I think you and me are much alike now at these times of the year, as we both long for hot summer weather.
                                My daughter loves snow, skiing, and all that comes with cold weather, so for the peace of the house, I must tend to "like" the season too....., but between me and you; I HATE winter!!!
                                Today, after buying myself a new camera, I also bought a bottle of whiskey, Kentucky straight bourbon I've never heared of before, 'John Lee'.
                                I enjoy good bourbon, so next week-end, I'll open the bottle and have a taste.

Mayby our dear E could tell us more about it....?

Oh, well...., great place to be this CVF on a saturday night after children and fiance has gone to bed

Great to hear from you again, Paul!
                                I've met several of the members in here in real life, and if there's someone I would very much like to meet, it's you.
                                Hope it can be arranged some time...
                                Thanks Sterkoder, always nice to have a chat on here with you my friend!
                                We are very much alike, summer and no winters ever! lol
                                What camera didya' get? I want (lotto permitting) Nikon D3S or a Canon EOS 1Ds, or both! I'll keep dreaming though. Hmmn!
                                A bottle of what you've got sounds great right now, this winter has me miserable (and other stuff which most of you know about). Nuff said!!
                                Well if the timing and the finances are right, Norway isn't that far away for a holiday in the future. That will be one hell of a good holiday, I will look forward to doing that one day my friend!
                                Will Norway survive the two of us! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X