• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, that of the swaying Reed.
    why no one won't believe me?
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Nice try, nice try.... no, still don't believe you!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

so dissepointed to day

went with 6 persons, my family and Cornel and Marijke to the biesbosch sailing trip.the same i did with ivy last year.
        nice wheater a warm day.
        hard to find a place for the car and arriving at the jetty,there where already many people waiting.
        even worse,it was a smaller vessel
        not much place outside on deck,full by the time where on board and a lower vessel .
        ruined my day.
        the best part of the day was when we went to a pizzaria.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

What a shame. We were lucky last year to have such good weather and excellent seats up on the top deck. The tribe would have enjoyed it then.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The Queen will become the longest reigning Monarch in Britain in a few days time and even smp.no has noticed that and written an article about the fact: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/utenriks/article11518069.ece

They also have this little remark:
            Teknisk sett er hun statsoverhode i Australia og kan dermed gi hele den australske regjeringen sparken.
            Technically she is head of state in Australia and can thus have all in the Australian government fired.

Not just "technically", she IS Head of State of Australia and "God Save the Queen" is the national anthem. (It isn't Crocodile Dundee and Waltzing Matilda, as popularly believed)
            She is also Queen of Canada, New Zealand and a number of other former British Colonies. Here is the official list:
            There are 15 Commonwealth Realms in addition to the UK: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Jamaica, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Papua New Guinea, St Christopher and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines,Tuvalu, Barbados, Grenada, Solomon Islands, St Lucia and The Bahamas. The Queen is Head of State in the United Kingdom.

Comment

• nari
              nari commented
              Editing a comment
              Not correct, ombugge.
              Our national anthem is Advance Australia Fair and has been so for decades. Technically the Queen can fire the Prime Minister(I don't know about the entire government - and that I doubt she could ever do that even if she wanted to). In 1975 the PM was chucked out by the Governor General (aka the Queen) much to the fury of the government and the whole country. It became the worst event in modern Oz history.
              In that case, the Queen followed the requests of the GG (what else could she do?)
              With the current political furor going on in Australia, I don't think the idea of a republic is particularly attractive at present....

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops, I forgot about that. Senior moment.
              Here is the facts about Advance Australia Fair, which piped Waltzing Matilda and God Save the Queen to become the National Anthem in 1984: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Australia_Fair

PS> I don't think this is an official site, but here it is: http://www.imagesaustralia.com/austr...onalanthem.htm

Try reading this: http://www.ourconstitution.org/aust_head_of_state.php It appears to argue that, though Queen of Australia, Queen Elizabeth II is NOT the Head of State in Australia, that term refers to the Governor General. It is a long read, but well worth persevering with in an attempt to resolve the question.
            Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              It appears to be a bit of a discussion on the matter, since the title Head of State does not exist and the reserve rights of the Monarch are not defined in the constitution. What is clear is that the Queen is the Sovereign, but does not have the power to fire the PM, or even her own representative, the Governour General. Not much left to do then.

• nari
              nari commented
              Editing a comment
              As happened in 1975, the GG requested the Queen for permission to sack the Labour government due to an impasse in the house of Reps. It was granted.
              To challenge the GG's opinion would not have been appropriate, although the GG was smeared and condemned forever after what seemed an act of beligerancy on his part, or a bias....

Yes, it does seem to conclude that the Queen, although Queen of Australia, is definitely NOT that country's Head of State, contrary to what you said in #875.
            Well, she can still open important new buildings!
            Ivy

Comment

• nari
              nari commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the situation is similar in Canada - she is really a figurehead, albeit quite a benign and appealing one.

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Nari.

It's not only me that has Senior Moments from time to time: http://www.thelocal.de/20150825/pens...ee-week-search

Even before I could use that excuse I managed to forget which hotel I was staying at in Amsterdam back in the early 1980s.
            My excuse that time was that I had been travelling almost continuously, making two trips from Norway to Tierra del Fuego and back in 28 days.
            I now always carry a matchbox, or the key card of the hotel I'm staying at. This is especially important in China, if I want to take a taxi back.

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              I somehow managed to wipe out Nari's comment re: Ushuaia and my reply.

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Nari's question was about Ushuaia in the 1980s.
              I only travelled by road to Ushuaia Airport ones, as the airport in Rio Grande was closed to civilian traffic due to military activity.That was when trying to get back to Buenos Aires on my first trip there, in April 1982.

I was mostly in Rio Grande, up the coast a bit from Ushuaia, which was a fairly miserable place, with a deplorable climate. That hadn't changed any on my last visit, which was in 1985.

I thought I was the only one who accidentally wiped out posts....?
            Of course, there was considerable military activity there in '82; and in 2002, with beautiful weather, I was impressed with the rural style of Ushuaia which did not try to copy European architecture as Buenos Aires did.
            It was my first experience with a katabatic wind, nearly blowing the taxi off the dusty road and causing the plane on takeoff to rise vertically.

Comment

Anybody want to try this sport??: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/118385/h...ke-vaert-naken
              Attire is optional.

Comment

Nobel Piece Price has been awarded just a few moments ago: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/no...en/a/23539359/
                How many predicted this one??? (Not me)

Comment

hee, look it's J-O there in the corner.

best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well spotted!

Things you probably didn't know about Chemistry: http://www.thelocal.no/20151011/oslo...deo-goes-viral

Comment

The world may be full of problems to be discussed but one overshadow all other; can you wear sandals with socks????

Horror of all horrors, it is becoming a trend: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashi...yle-trend.html
                  Apparently EVERYBODY has an opinion on the subject. Maybe this can give CVF a boost??

I don't see any problems with it. In fact I think it makes perfectly good sense, especially if you are wearing leather sandals, which tends to give you blisters if worn without socks.

Here is an example taken from the web:

One more example:

​In the days when I was wearing uniform, my daily attire was white shirt, white shorts, white socks and sandals. What is wrong with that???

Comment

I have no particular problem with socks and sandals for men. Also sometimes in summer here a few daring members of the male of the species sport shorts, white socks and sandals (plus other appropriate attire). They look very smart and I think it must be something to do with the fact that the socks are white, goodnerss knows why. Perhaps it's the crisp cleanliness of it against tan, whereas coloured socks make you think he just dragged out any old sock. Even our postmen now have what appears to be a summer uniform of shorts and socks. Not white ones, though.
                    Ivy

Comment

Working...
                    X