Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not that many,some members placed something (dane gave me his adres,because he had several adresses for his company,E gave a direction of how to drive from a traffic light) and by that they gave a cleu to there houses,and as you know ,i like spending time at google earth.i got Yours ,Dane's,Ombugge's,JO's old and new house house , Lady E old house ,Ralf's ,Sveins Swire office,also found some places from Steve's images of the city of Devon (i thought,but now i searched for devon it's in the south,so even lost the city name) ,but not his house
    i can't find jO's new house anymore ,Got Ralf's street but lost the house.
    find many places from the weekend,just by memory.

lost only the google earth,it was an icoon on the deskshield and probably with sliding something to the bin,i take GE with it.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      found J-O house again,it taked me more time to find the image of the house here than on GE

• pilotdane
      pilotdane commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't worry. If you come to visit I will give you my address again.

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      your house i got,i got your adres remember.
      btw it was easy aswel,just look for the biggest real estate property in NC :-) :-)

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    also found some places from Steve's images of the city of Devon (i thought,but now i searched for devon it's in the south,so even lost the city name) but not his house
    What are you on about? Devon is a county and stretches from the north coast to the south. Steve lives in north Devon.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      am i mistaken with Paul,which lived at the tyne?

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, probably, Thijs.
      Paul lived in Gainsborough, just north of Lincoln in the county of Lincolnshire, which is the county north of Norfolk. His beloved river was the Trent, he took so many photos of the Trent Aegar, or bore, the huge tidal surge that occurs on some rivers at certain times (Google says "getijdenenergie boring" but I'm not sure about that. It's not in my dictionary.). He posted many, many photos of his city and places around which were always of interest, but his Trent ones were marvellous. He was also very much into B/W and, of course, aeroplanes at the RAF Waddington show.
      Dear Paul.

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      the river Trent it was yes,got that wrong too.
      yes i liked his posts also and his drawings,but by his images i found the places on GE where it is.
      the tidal surge,''getijdenenergie boring'' is not a word we use.,we just say 'getijdenengergie'' getij is a word thats stands alone and we now where it's stands for and the same counts for energie.a few weeks back there was in the newspaper that they gooing :-) to make at a few doors of the Oosterschelde barrier (the one with the doors) a tidal surge

Thijs, you'll think I'm making this up, but my Desktop GE icon has gone, too. This morning an icon appeared in the systray to say I must restart for the installation to be completed. I wasn't aware of having downloaded anything, could not ID the icon and was wary. I decided to ignore it and close down to see if the wretched thing would go away. After lunch I rebooted and yes, it had gone.
    But then there was a Windows notice in the taskbar, and clicking that it said that Norton had stopped working and had been closed down. I panicked and came quickly off line. Certainly the Norton desktop icon was not in its usual place. But I eventually found it almost hidden amongst other icons. It announced that it was all brand new, a different layout, etc. etc. So that was presumably the mystery download.
    But now, with your GE problem, I was going to check with you to see whether you still had it in the Recycle Bin, in which case you could restore, or whether it was listed in the programmes list on the start menu. I looked in my own programme list but GE wasn't there, which I thought odd, and then I looked for the icon. It has just simply disappeared. I can't believe it. So I have lost my maps and some Aussie stuff as well. But how did it happen?
    Later I'll close down completely and then reboot to see if GE appears. But how odd.
    Ivy

Comment

i don't know what happend,but i think that i toke it with something else,but now you say this maybe something happend here too.
      but i havn't been for long time on GE,but a few weeks back i noticed something differend and talked about it with Marijke.
      now with the new laptop i can't just 1 time download the potoshop ,so i would still hold the old one for practise.but i was afraid that i lost it because i lost an icon ,my desktopscreen looks differend.
      and today i needed GE and now i noticed i lost GE.i was looking if photoshop was still there,and it was,didn't noticed the GE icon was gone.
      before i got the new one i saved many to the external disc,because the old laptop was very slow,but it didn't make any difference
      best regards Thijs

Comment

I've found GE. Looked everywhere, then tried the Install/uninstall programme and it was listed, with a date of 12 June 2015 installation. But still not in the Start list and I was afraid to play about with it in the Uninstall programme. I tried Help, which said if you can't find a programme in the Start list then do a search in the bottom box. Hadn't thought of that! Did Search and GE opened. But still couldn't do a Desktop shortcut from an open programme. Returned to Start list and it was there at last so I made a shortcut from there. Phew
        GE seems to have done a revamp like Norton, hence the 12 June date. Now can this help you? Maybe it isn't in the bin but has been missing since June, as perhaps mine has been. Do a search in Start on the old laptop, do a right click on the icon which hopefully suddenly appears in the Start menu and click Send to Desktop. Then perhaps it will be there as usual. Maybe when the update was installed (unknown to us) it didn't automatically keep the old icon and we just didn't notice that it had gone
        Ivy

Comment

thanks Ivy,got it back.started to open all programs and there was the icon,open it and al the places are stil there.the desktop icon of GE was replaced by the google chrome icon
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Having read all the grievances about GE I checked and found it was no longer on my start menu, or my desk top, but still listed in my programme files. Trying to open it from there did not work, so I tried to reinstall, but got a error message.
            I then uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled from the google earth website: https://www.google.com/earth/

After registering with my original e-mail address and password it is back as before.
            I don't know if anything saved is still there, since I have never collected drawings or addresses, at least not deliberately, or even consciously.
            Hope this can help somebody.

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              At least it was listed, Ombugge. It wasn't even in my Start List, until I did what Help suggested (i.e. a Search) and Start suddenly remembered and placed an icon there. From there it was OK and I simply did a Send-to to put a shortcut on the Desktop. Everything I had on it before is still there - not that I had very much on it.
              You had a terrific job to do to get it back!

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Not so terrific, I just used my own devices and did not go to Help and their incomprehensible advises, made by computer wizards who think everybody else is one to.

• janihudi
              janihudi commented
              Editing a comment
              at my GE al the markers where there too,not that nice though they did it this way.now it was no big problem ,because i had to download it to the new computer,but easier to find those places without to surch them again

Thijs, I wonder whether your word getijdenenergie refers to exactly the same thing as our tidal bore. You speak about the defence that they are going to put in the Oosterschelde barrier) against tidal surges but a tidal bore refers to rivers.
            In our rivers a bore is a massive wave many feet high that sometimes travels up a river as the tide comes in. You find it on rivers which have a narrow mouth and where the coastline forms a funnel shape so that when there is a particularly high tide (influenced by wind, air pressure, sun and moon positions, etc.) the tide water has great force and pushes against the normal river current. The Severn Bore (the Severn is between south Wales and England) is a famous one in England, and many people travel to see it when a particularly big one is due.
            The Oosterschelde proposal must be, I think, against the exceptional surge of the sea in times of great storms accompanied by strong winds, like we had in '53. In a way, it is similar to a river bore but on a much, much larger scale of course, with water funnelled down the North Sea on to our coasts. What are they actually going to do?
            Ivy

Comment

http://nos.nl/artikel/2041678-ooster...ncentrale.html

but only in Dutch
              best regards Thijs

Comment

http://www.strukton.com/news/2015/wo...power-project/
                best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Many thanks. Thijs.
                  I managed most of the Dutch version (it was mostly English spelt badly anyway but certainly studied the English article so that I got the whole story. Every so often we talk about harnessing wave power but never really do anything much about it. The same with the wind turbines, there are always arguments and arguments about their efficacy, are they worth the trouble and expense involved. Let's just build more atomic power stations instead.

Lo and behold, people in Lodalen has been without Internet for five whole days!!!:
                http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article11324534.ece

What have the world come to?? This is the worst catastrophe to hit Lodalen since the the big stone avalanche in 1936!!!: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasulykken_i_Loen_i_1936

But look at the bright side, people MAY have had time to look out the window at the beautiful nature around them. (If not too busy checking if the Internet was back, that is)

Comment

• PoloUK
                  PoloUK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahhh - Lodalen in Stryn, not Lodalen in Oslo. Not sure you'd want to look out of the window in the one I know - unless you were looking for trains!!

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Look like you know more about Norway than I do. I didn't even know there is a Lodalen in Oslo.

• PoloUK
                  PoloUK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodalen_%28Oslo%29
                  Railway connection I'm afraid.

I know we have had a bit of discussion about Norse influence on the modern English language and place names somewhere, but cannot remember where and when.
                I'll therefore post this in this neutral thread.

By accident I found this list of English words influenced by Old Norse words: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_Norse_origin
                I don't think this is comprehensive, but at least a guide for those who have an interest in the language.
                There was also a list of more modern Norwegian words which has been adapted into English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_Norse_origin

A list the other way -English words commonly used in daily Norwegian conversation and writing- would be a lot longer. The pronunciation and spelling may not be English, but the origin is unmistakable.

PS> I don't know if it still applies, but there used to be a "pidgin" language used in the Offshore Industry, which was a mixture of Norwegian with American words and names, pronounced with a Norwegian twist. (Example; Drill Floor - "Flaaren")

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been reading more about Vikings et al and their influence on Europe, Russia, North America and places in between has been extensive, over a long period of time. I originally thought Norse words where half of the word is not pronounced was bad enough, and then realised exactly the same applies to our English words, and more so. The "-ough" of English words alone must be a nightmare to foreign students.

Yes, Nari. I was tutoring a little girl once - she was English but had missed schooling through illness. I lived-in on a farm in Dorset - interspersed with stays at the family's house on the Thames at Cookham Dean, near Maidenhead. She was quite a good reader, but of course we came up against the ...ough words. I drew a big chart to go on the wall and made a game of it - I would point to one of the words, she would have a go at it, and I would thump the table and call out "Go on, go on, you've nearly got it", cheering her on until we both dissolved into fits of laughter. But she learned them all!
                I was surprised at the list - though, rough, through, cough, bough were the ones I used, I think, but there will be more. How on earth is one not used to the language supposed to say them? As you say, they must be a nightmare to non-native students, as must many of our words as far as pronunciation goes.
                Ivy

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought some years ago how complex the Norwegian language is with many consonants which are pronounced sometimes and not other times and at least four dialects. Then I considered English...

don't you hate that when ,in my case with shipspotting you want to make a picture someone just walk in front of your camera?
                i hate those people,with totally lack of another persons hobby.

she totally ruined my image
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Really? She ruined your image of the bike?

Oh, Thijs.... funny, but I don't believe you....
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                  X