Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nari, do you belong to Ancestry? I do and have just done a very quick shufti. There are quite a few Oscar Svenson's about, as you might expect, but if you would let me have DOB and DOD and any other information about where he lived - anything, wife's name, date/place of marriage, I can try properly. Do you know when he went out to Australia?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ivy, I have belonged to Ancestry World for some years but I found so many Svensens in various countries I could not pinpoint the fellow who sailed out here. I have not looked for a while, and the information often changes, so I should give it a go again. I figured as he was Norwegian, this forum was another good place for some hints on Capt Oscar that may not turn up in Ancestry.

The good Captain Oscar Svensen is mentioned several times in this book about; Norwegian Entrepreneurship in Africa and Oceania.
    I have just skimmed through a few pages, but I'm sure you'll find this intere
    sting reading:

https://books.google.com.sg/books?id...A216&dq=Captai n+Oscar+Svensen,&source=bl&ots=gWBaXVEuKr&sig=zAKc RNd7aIGXqhH1KVqADn6m4h8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NX5JVaDEGcOJ uwTrg4DQCw&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Captain%20O scar%20Svensen%2C&f=false

Apparently he established - among other things - a plantation in/near Gizo, which is a place I remember well, since I got a very bad bout of Malaria (known as "blackwater fever") there in early 1970.

You may find other names you know mentioned in the chapter about Norwegians in the Solomons.
    Last edited by ombugge; May 6th, 2015, 07:23.

Comment

I met up with some cousins I had not seen for decades and one of them declared that he was a rather brutal man in dealing with the Solomon Islanders. My uncle was very familiar with Gizo and is buried there with his wife Inga Svensen. In Brisbane Oscar seemed to have led a very social life, especially after he became Consul for Norway. His house was magnificently placed on a high hill, and when the Brisbane Council ordered it demolished it was so well built it was a real battle...
      Thanks for the link, ombugge. It ill take a while to read through and absorb it.

Comment

You mean this one:

Villa Norway, Brisbane

Here is an article in Norwegian about Oscar Svensen: http://reisefredrik.com/2012/06/08/et-stormannsliv/
        Hope google translate can handle.

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that is the only photo I have ever come across over the years. I actually lived in that house for 3 months when we arrived in Australia to live, with my uncle and aunt and their four energetic boys but we took no photos of its sprawl over the top of the Hill, figuring it would "always be there."

Oscar's daughter Inge Svensen was nursing in the local Gizo hospital in about 1932 when my paternal grandfather Philip Palmer was brought in only half alive after being partly eaten by ants after falling badly while prospecting for gold in San Jorge, where he lived. His younger son Ernest paid a visit to his father, fell in love with Inge and they went on to have 6 kids. Two of their sons live in Gympie, in SE Queensland and keep in contact with the Schroeders and Svensens who live in settlements not too far away.

Enough family history - shall do some more homework....

Some time ago we got into Australian Quarantine Rules and their practicality in some thread or another.
        On the world news today is a report on an American film star that either didn't know, didn't care or though he was above the law.
        He flew in to Australia on his private jet with his two dogs without declaring them. Obviously he didn't go through the same customs checks as you or me.
        When he took the dogs to a groomer somebody must have got jealous and reported their existence.
        He was given a warning on open TV, by the Minister of Agriculture no less, to get his dogs out of Australia and back to California within 48 hrs.
        Now, if a mere mortal had brought in any animal he would not have been given a warning, he would have been given a hefty fine, the animal killed and incinerated. But of cause anybody would be in awe of a make believe swashbuckling Pirate, even an Aussie Minister: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/14/en...ine/index.html

I'm happy to report that the dogs are now safely back on the private jet, heading for home. No animals were hurt by this mistake.

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Like many pumped-up film stars, my bet is that he thought he would get away with it because he was well-known and adored - or something.
          In any case, it should alert airports to the fact that animals can be snuck into a country which is free of rabies and a few other nasties.

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          I just wonder, what does American quarantine say about bringing back two dogs that have been outside the country for some time??

What puzzles me is how, unless he landed his jet in a field somewhere out in the blue, did he get through what customs there were? The dogs are small, but a little oversize to be put in a pocket, or did he stuff them into a suitcase?
        Ivy

Comment

• pilotdane
          pilotdane commented
          Editing a comment
          Just like whenever I pass through customs. It's up to you to declare what you are bringing. They don't have 100% inspection and only inspect a small percentage of travelers. In their defense high profile movie stars in private jets are not known for smuggling so it's understandable why he might have escaped inspection. He would have gotten away with it if he hadn't been posting about it a few days later. In the future I hope they go through his stuff with a fine tooth comb and make him bend over.

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          I dunno.... at Heathrow on two occasions and at Bergen, my backpack was emptied, inspected and the contents queried.
          For example, the bloke at LHR asked about the toothpaste (colgate) and took it away to be tested.... Maybe I struck a time where they decided to be more ruthless. Or bored. Or these Aussies look sus....

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Backpack?? Obviously an Aussie with a backpack is suspicious.
          Next time try putting on a Pirate outfit and they will let you through without a second glance.

Speaking of customs in Norway. Back in the 1980s the family was staying in Norway and I was working in Rotterdam for some months. Once my wife asked me to get some Chinese souces and other condiments when I returned via Amsterdam for the weekend. I also took the opportunity to stock up on duty free liquors and cigarettes at Schipole.
        When we landed in Oslo I noticed a long queue at the Customs counter. There were full check on everybody that went on green. (Probably because of a tip-off that something was afoot)

Nobody went on Red, so I went there and pulled out a couple of bottles of Soya sauce or whatever and innocently asked;
        "Are there any duty or restriction on these?"
        "No, that is OK"
        "Oh, thank you"
        Whereupon I proceeded through without being checked, excessive liquor, cigarettes and all.
        No backpack, but maybe I looked a bit like a Pirate?? (Or a Film star??)

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless you post a piccy (translated: photo) of yourself, we can only wonder....

• pilotdane
          pilotdane commented
          Editing a comment
          Coming home from our trip to Amsterdam a few years ago my wife list "flower bulbs" on our customs form. I swear we were the only ones pulled aside for bags open full inspection. Luckily we had plenty of time and the agents were very nice but that was the only time we've been inspected at all.

Usually my wife can't throw away whatever food we have leftover when abroad so she takes it to eat on the airplane. That food smell gets into her bag and that little customs beagle sits down next to her bag every time. Kelly explains about the food and that she ate it all or threw it out and that's the end of it. They've never wanted to see in her bag.

By popular demand:

Comment

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          Imitation?Are you kidding Thijs?Compared with Ombugge Jack Sparrow is a ship's boy.And Flint a captain of pedalo.

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          Classic Ålesund look. This is like they are.

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm speechless.......

hi everyone, I had a fantastic cruise to the norwegian fjords, I have been trying to put them on photobucket but just not uploading. So many photos were taken by my family as well so I need to find where they are on facebook . I did more little videos and not so many actual photos with my camera but as soon as I can sort out photobucket I will add some ... In Jersey enjoying the Island games on at the moment and the heatwave . Hope you are all well and I haven't missed too much . xx

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• kiki42
          kiki42 commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried to change my signature picture from the princess ship, but look what happened ..lol

I wouldn't dare to try and change anything in my signature, Kiki, you were brave to have a go! I've long forgotten how to do it, anyway.
        I hope you soon get the Bucket sorted out so that you can post your photos and videos.
        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          I wouldn't dare to try and change anything in my signature, Kiki, you were brave to have a go! I've long forgotten how to do it, anyway.
          I hope you soon get the Bucket sorted out so that you can post your photos and videos.
          Hi Ivy... I managed to add my latest cruise., I wonder if you all see the big picture of NCL ship that should have replaced the little one.. lol I have now been trying to change my profile and lost the one that was there... I have asked Mark for some help. Photobucket is not uploading photos, keeps on about doing it through emails and mobiles. I have spent hours trying to get it sorted . I just want to upload from my laptop gallery but its not working. I will need to go to their help line tomorrow and ask what has happened . . x

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• kiki42
            kiki42 commented
            Editing a comment
            lol well i have one picture uploaded that was meant to go on my signature ... maybe i should do them all through my signature .lol

What I am seeing in #849 and #851 is a normal large image of the Norwegian Star then immediately below it a small image of the Princess. The latter's width is just under a quarter of the Star's. The pic. in the ID panel at the left just shows the anonymous grey shape (seemingly male, how quaintly old-fashioned!!!) allotted to those who don't choose a siggie.
          I only use Photobucket to upload photos for "What Place is This" and which are not my own but taken from Wiki Commons. Having chosen the puzzle pic. I download it to my HD then upload a copy to the Bucket. As I don't win the puzzle often I find that Bucket has probably changed its system by the time I go there again. But there has been no question of uploading by email or mobile. I don't have an account with them, by the way. Whether that makes a difference, goodness knows!
          Ivy

Comment

• kiki42
            kiki42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Ivy, I tried to change my profile and lost the one I had before,it doesnt seem to upload from my laptop like before ,CVF says working but that goes on for ages and i give up. i have an account with Photobucket , but their pages have all changed so I am lost . So funny that the signature one of NCL was meant to replace the princess one and it came up like that , weird... I have asked Mark to help out. xx

• kiki42
            kiki42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Ivy ,, Back again.. I have finally manage to get my photos and videos uploaded on Photobucket. I am will add later as it has taken me hours so far. I am going to try and upload a profile next from Photobucket and see what happens . It may work where it wouldn't work from my laptop gallery . the saying is " if you dont succeed at first try , try again " lol

Absolutely, Kiki. Don't give up. Maybe it's this current CVF version that won't let you upload your profile pic. directly from your laptop. I remember now that I did it directly when I joined, no problem then. They call it progress, don't forget!
          Ivy

Comment

damm,in a surtain move i had thrown away google earth,gone are al the members houses,our trip of Bun9ay and lots and lots more.
            now i have a new laptop i wanted to replace them from the old laptop to the new one,cant find it anymore,so gone.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Thijs, Thijs, Thijs! Well, as far as the maps are concerned you can at least download them from the forum so that you have them on the HD. And once you have downloaded Google Earth again you can soon put back the members' houses - how many have you got, for heaven's sake??? But this is a %^%£&(*^$$£ nuisance, I agree. Do you know what you did that made GE disappear? How were you transferring stuff? What else have you lost?
              Ivy

Comment

Working...
              X