Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about a "Whiskey on the Svartisen"??: http://www.thelocal.no/20150221/norw...wanted-icecube

Comment

Anything for a selling point!!!
      “Meanwhile, it’s very clean and has a good taste. This means that you do not noticeably dilute the drink.”
      That's a bit of a non sequitor, isn't it, to say that if an additive has a taste it doesn't dilute the drink. Dilute = weaken. Tasty ice will alter it.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thought of the day.
        Happyness is as simple as an espresso outside your favorite café on a sunny morning.

Comment

Hi, I am off to Scotland next week to celebrate my mums 93rd birthday and Mothers Day on the same day. I also manage to book a cruise with Norweigian Cruise Line on the Star to the Norwegian Fjords in June. Looking forward to it. I added the rib boat trip on the Geiranger Fjord and the train journey from Flam . Flying from Copenhagen , so perfect for me instead of sailing from Dover or Southampton . Happy Days, another goal off my wish list. x

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Solar eclipse on Friday. 20th March. http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2015-march-20
            Ivy

Comment

Deeply saddened by the breaking news from Tunisia.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-31941672

Those of you who are following my trip report in the Serenissima thread will know I spent a day in Tunis and the Bardo Museum just a few months ago.

Comment

Reports such as this seem to be almost a daily occurrence now. Innocent people caught up in a ferocity not of their own making.
              Ivy

Comment

tunisa, where next? it will soon be a case of not travelling anywhere, quite a scary thought .

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You cannot, or should not, change your lifestyle and travel plans because of incidents like this. That is the goal of the perpetrators of actions like this.
                  Of cause you shouldn't plan to go Syria or Iraq just now due to the high risk. (You may not be allowed home, if nothing else)
                  If "everybody" should stop going to Tunisia, or anywhere in North Africa, because of this incident the economy and people there will suffer and the Terrorists will have won. The risk a similar incident soon is not great and the risk of you being there at the wrong time and wrong place if it does is even less.
                  It is like saying; Don't go to Paris, or Copenhagen, they shoot people there. Those with long memories may not want to go to Boston, Oslo, or London, because there have been bomb attack there.

Of cause, if you don't go there, the risk is NIL?? NO. Who is to say that it cannot happen where you live, work, or travel to, believing "it cannot happen here"?? Make your risk assessment based on sober judgment of each destination and situation.
                  The possibility of another shooting (or bomb blast) in the above places does exists, but the probability of you being in the the exact place at the exact time of any future incident is small, if not minuscule, in big cities like London or Paris.

An example of one such Risk Assessment:
                  - What is the probability of there being a bomb on a plane you are on?? 1:1,000,000 (Small)
                  - What is the probability of there being TWO bombs on the same flight"?? 1:1,000,000,000 (Minuscule)
                  - What mitigating action can you take to reduce the first risk to acceptable level?? Always carry your own bomb.

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After the slaughter in Tunis,the place where I'll go for my next vacation, that's not the point,I'd say.

• pilotdane
                  pilotdane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Attacks have always occurred and they will continue long beyond my time. Some are acts of terrorism, some are a lone crazy person while others are states with an itchy trigger finger. The world will never be entirely safe but probably the most dangerous thing any of us can do is get into an automobile yet we do it all the time. We ignore the big risk we see every day so we should not let the rare event that makes the news stop us from seeing the world.

I'm truly worried about the evolution of meaningless violence that is spreading itself in the world.
                I hope that humanity gets itself together and continues to make the world a better place.

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is difficult to think of anywhere in the world which can be deemed as safe from violence - of any sort.
                  I read today of statistics which adds up to one woman every day of the year is killed by domestic violence in Australia.
                  Other sorts of violence - much harder to control as it is non-specific and more random.

The violence is anything but meaningless to those who use it, whether on the scale we are witnessing in the many troubled areas of the world or whether in our own back streets with the street gangs. Their aim is simple - power. Rule everyone and make them subservient to you.
                We can't continue to make the world a better place. We haven't even begun the job. And, cynic that I am, we never will. At one time, terrible things happening in one part of the world may not have been very well known in other parts. Nowadays, with instant world--wide communication we know it immediately and those who either through misguided and hot-headed idealism (the very few) or seeing themselves as future masters of the world (the majority) are there in an instant, joining in. Yes, we arrest some who are on their way to join the fighting, but although that is something, I suppose, do we want them back in our own countries? Are we really thinking we can convert them back to being law-abiding citizens?
                If the present situation ever eases, it won't be long before something else, somewhere else, and under a different name will start all over again. It's cyclical.
                Ivy

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ivy, I agree. Nowhere is guaranteed safe but that can't and shouldn't stop one getting around to places.
                  The risk of being blown up is probably similar to being hit by a crazy car driver or an earthquake or something else which is life-challenging. Or travelling on a plane which 'disappears' as with the unfortunate Malaysian aircraft.
                  I am a bit of a fatalist about it - if I disappear, well, I would be deemed unlucky...

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't believe you are cynic Ivy.You just look at the world as it is.

Press reports from the two cruise ships that were in Tunis yesterday, Costa Fascinosa and MSC Splendida.

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB...statement.aspx

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300052876.html

Comment

All comments give food for thought as they say... With the recent events I feel relieved in a way that my holiday this year will be on NCL cruise ship seeing the Norwegian Fjords. The scenery reminds me of the beauty in this world to be enjoyed .

Comment

They are still finding them! http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/bid-...11363970526818
                  Ivy

Comment

Comment

• janihudi
                      janihudi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i wish you the same Cecilia

• wherrygirl
                      wherrygirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Me too, but can I have an 85% chockie one. please!

I have looked around for a better thread to post this, but this one seemed OK.
                    I have been researching online for more information on Captain Oscar Svensen, originally from Larvik, who came out to Queensland in the late 19th century.
                    I have DOB, DOD, and a scrappy photo of his magnificent house "Norway" in Brisbane - but very little else, apart from a patchy family tree.
                    I am related to him by marriage (one of his daughters married my uncle in the Solomons) so if anyone has information on him or a site (in English) I would appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X