Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apropos of absolutely nothing, isn't this marvellous?

P1190298
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

And a close-up:

P1190300
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as it is working properly, for sure. But if it has a foult and they're telling you, that there is no replacement possible, it is enerving!

time for climb into my rol of gardner.
    getting the last dahlias and cannas out of the garden.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Now you have two threads with gardening news, this one and Ditjes and Datjes. I shan't know where to look!
      Ivy

Comment

just as a chit chat Ivy,no images
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Don't travel to EuroDisney, they got a Tiger there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZGexExOe4

No, not the Singapore variety. If so I would have put this in the Beer thread.

Comment

Well here I am again telling you I am off to Scotland later in December to visit my mum who is 92 now. Direct flight from Jersey with EasyJet . Since EasyJet did the route to Glasgow from Jersey it has been really good visiting family. This is my 3rd trip to Scotland this year. Prices are good and flying time is only just over an hour.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

I am off tomorrow to scotland , wishing you all a merry christmas ...

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

After trawling through the threads, I thought this thread might be a place to start a new topic.

I am sure there are poets amongst us, so can there be a poetry thread? Haiku? Simple stuff expressing a good trip or to accompany a photo or two?

I am happy to start the ball rolling if it sounds a goer.

Nari

Comment

Good idea, Nari. After 19 years I gave up running my Bungay poetry group a year ago. But I wrote free verse (NOT chopped up prose) and it is not particularly popular. You may have come across one in my Outback thread.
                  Ivy

Comment

Sounds like a plan - but you've have to remind us thick-o engineers / scientists what Haiku is! I thought it was like tofu.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
                      yvneac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ignorant!It's a kind of sushi ****ed by the geisha with a tatami,mainly in Kyoto's ryokans.
                      Anyway, more seriously,great idea,Nari.
                      I am afraid mine are difficult to understand because written in French.

Nari, don't you fear that maybe your efforts to bring in thoughts of the higher things in life are going to be wasted on these foodies!
                    Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
                      PoloUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm trying to work out what the **** in Yves' message could possibly stand for! I must be innocent 'cos I can't come up with anything that could possibly have been censored.

• janihudi
                      janihudi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      cooked,but probally a mistake and he typed ****ed

• wherrygirl
                      wherrygirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Markie, you're as bad as I am! Though, I must add hastily, my vocab in such areas would naturally not be so extensive as yours.

Yes, it's past the time for my cuppa and some biccies.
                    Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
                      PoloUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One too many syllables? Perhaps lose the 'some'?

OK - so Google tells me: "Haiku /ˈhʌɪkuː/ noun: haiku; plural noun: haikus; plural noun: haiku
                    a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world."
                    Still sounds difficult - but fun.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      Yes, it's past the time for my cuppa and some biccies.
                      It's time for my tea.
                      I fancy a digestive.
                      Maybe a bourbon.

Hey - this is hard. How do you end up with something that's actually artistic?
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Now that's not bad.
                        The strict rule is that it should have a nature theme and the third line is often a little philosophical reaction to the previous two. As an example here is a translation of one of Basho's haiku. He wrote several centuries ago and is probably the best known Japanese haiku writer. The translation loses the 5-7-5 structure, of course.

"Now darkness falls,"
                        Quail chirps,
                        "What use hawk eyes?"

The trouble is that nowadays many people think that as long as it is short you can call your poem a haiku. So you get perhaps 4 or 5 lines and any old number of syllables per line so long as it is a low number.
                        Ivy

Comment

• nari
                          nari commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good grief. Such an outpouring of hidden talent and latent skills.
                          Seriously, the haiku was never meant to be confined to such rigid rules. These rules came out of the woodwork some centuries ago but it was not the Japanese who insisted on such rigidity. I suspect it was the West....

In a moment
                          the necklace of phosphoresence in the bow wave
                          will be gone forever.

More later....

Nari
                      Working...
                      X