Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the begininng of terror, just before the steep drop down from 150ft (45m) down to almost sea level. People were walking up the center of the road to avoid the deep snow on the footpaths.
    The path on the right side is avoided all together, if a vehicle looses traction on the snow or ice it has a natural swing to the right going down or left coming up. Scary steep hill!
    Oh what fun!
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

That's certainly some serious amounts of snow you have up your way Paul, especially seeing it's so early in the season. The last couple of winters have been bad, but at least we did not experience the really cold weather until January before. I wonder if this is the way it's going to be until spring? I remember last winter it was not until late April that the winds finally became dominant from the South West again. It's going to be a long winter if this years going to be the same.

In England i think i am correct in saying that it's illegal to use either snow chains or studded tyres of any kind on the public road. We just have to rely on the various councils to actually go out and salt the roads, and we all know how reluctant some of them can be when it comes to such things, mainly because they are so short of cash that they simply cannot afford to employ the amount of people they actually need to do the job. Plus they do not seem to have the needed infrastructure in place anymore. When i was a kid you would see the gritting lorries out and about everyday when the weather called for it, and they would grit the roads on a continuous basis. When growing up i lived on a fairly average side road, and i would always see a gritting lorry trundle past 2 or 3 times each day. Plus you would have the gang going around insuring the pavements (sidewalks) were kept gritted. These days the average side road will not be salted or gritted at all, pavements, no chance - unless they are in the town centre, and even the main roads only get done once per day. Plus you always used to see grit boxes full of grit beside the roads, you do not find too many of them anymore. This country simply got to used to all the mild winters we have experienced over the last 20 years or so, and with all the hype about global warming, we were led into a false sense of security. But you only have to look back over the last few hundred years to see just how quickly the climate can change.

Anyway, that's my bit about the weather, i normally enjoy the winter weather, but for the last week i have been suffering from what must be the worst cold that i have had for many many years, 6 days into it and i still feel as bad as i did at the beginning. Coupled with the fact that anysort of infection plays total havoc with all my M.S symptoms, i can safely say i will be very glad to see the back of this particular cold.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve- I'm thinking good thoughts for all of you in England/Scotland...I know this is HORRENDOUS weather.

If you are still having bad cold symptoms, try some zinc...and a neti pot, or some sort of nasal wash...it REALLY helps! I use one nearly every day...and haven't had a cold in over two years (touch wood...)

Is unusually cold here, suddenly... like I said a few days ago, it was nearly 80/27c and tonight it's supposed to be 32/0c....wish I had some footie pajamas................
        FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post

In England i think i am correct in saying that it's illegal to use either snow chains or studded tyres of any kind on the public road. We just have to rely on the various councils to actually go out and salt the roads, and we all know how reluctant some of them can be when it comes to such things, mainly because they are so short of cash that they simply cannot afford to employ the amount of people they actually need to do the job.
          That's interesting about the snow chains, Steve. I had no idea they were now illegal, and I was talking of the late 60's and 70's, not centuries ago! Yes, I agree, it does boil down to availability of cash when it comes to keeping roads clear, and in the present severe squeeze it can only get worse.
          Plus they do not seem to have the needed infrastructure in place anymore. When i was a kid you would see the gritting lorries out and about everyday when the weather called for it, and they would grit the roads on a continuous basis. When growing up i lived on a fairly average side road, and i would always see a gritting lorry trundle past 2 or 3 times each day. Plus you would have the gang going around insuring the pavements (sidewalks) were kept gritted.
          Not the same up here, and I moved to East Anglia in '66.
          with all the hype about global warming, we were led into a false sense of security. But you only have to look back over the last few hundred years to see just how quickly the climate can change.
          Oh, how I agree with you there every time I keep hearing about global warning. Presumably there's no denying the increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, but as to climate changes, well.... I remember the big freeze in 1947, I was a school kid waiting at the bus-stop to go home each afternoon, houses, roads snow-covered, trees a fairyland with the thick hoar frost that the sun couldn't melt during the day, then the extreme winter in 1961 or 2, I think, when I got home to my parents in London from down in Hampshire to find pavements cracking and pavingstones rising. Someone took me back to Hampshire after Christmas in his car, what a journey. I was teaching in Beaulieu, in the New Forest and we would go out in the Dormobile each day to collect a few of the day pupils, roads were treacherous, the forest a picture with the hoar frost and snow, and temperatures were about minus 12 degrees right through until about March. But so dry was the air that you got used to it.
          Then there was the heatwave for about 3 years in the 70's with temperatures that we rarely experience in this country.
          There's always been periods of extreme weather, and they are nothing new, are they?

Steve, in my haste to finish nattering because I must now venture out, I lost track of what was at the back of my mind and of far more importance. That is you, and the problems that the cold is bringing you. Most of us get by with a few sniffles and grumbles, but for you it is different. Thinking of you, and trusting that the symptoms will be over quickly and you'll be back to your usual chirpy self. (Haven't you ID'd that cupola yet??
          Last edited by wherrygirl; December 2nd, 2010, 12:31.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Reply to Elizabeth in the Sharp Things thread:

England was terribly unprepared for waging war in 1939, Chamberlain had tried for appeasement with Hitler up to the last moment. So there was a dearth of planes and armaments generally and scrap metal of all kinds was collected, the iron railings, metal tools and household utensils all went to the war effort. I've come over to this thread because I want to mention a funny little poem by Elsie Cawser which has always tickled me. It's called Salvage Song (or: The Housewife's Dream)

I was going to put the poem here, then suddenly thought eek - copyright. So hopefully the URL will take you there.

Something else may be of interest. I was born and grew up in Plumstead, S.E. London and we were very near Woolwich Arsenal. That probably means nothing to anybody now, but it was originally founded as a depot by King Henry VIII and through the centuries developed until it became one of the country's largest armaments factories. The whole Arsenal stretched several miles along parallel to the river and rail tracks were used to transport goods and workers from shed to shed. Amongst all kinds of guns and shells, heavy artillery was made there and the testing ground was at the end of the Arsenal nearest us. When testing days arrived, the terrific boom of the first gun of the day made us nearly jump out of our skins, set our hearts pounding and rattled the doors and windows. After that, though, we took no notice for the rest of the day! So although our house kept its railings, maybe some of the others had only a short distance to go to the Arsenal to be melted down and re-fashiond into something more deadly than spiked rails.
            My mother as a young girl, worked at the Arsenal, it was the big employer in the district, and for a time after WW1 she was employed emptying the cartridges. She and another girl worked in a shed way down the line, just the two of them, in an area known as the danger sheds, for the risk of explosion and fire was great. But she used to tell me tales of how she and the other girl would arrive for work in the morning and have to run the gauntlet of goats that roamed free around the place. No, don't ask! As soon as the goats saw the girls they would be after them in a flash, heads down, and it was a race to reach the shed, tear up the steps and slam the door behind them before they were butted.
            Health and Safety just didn't come into it in those days....
            Last edited by wherrygirl; December 6th, 2010, 22:46.
            Ivy

Comment

Accidental duplicate of the above. Gone now!
              Last edited by wherrygirl; December 6th, 2010, 22:50.
              Ivy

Comment

Is it just me who notices it - the increase in gabbling amongst newcasters on the radio news programmes? I am wondering if it is a general thing in other countries also? For donkeys years I've listened to the Today programme on BBC Radio 4, which runs from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and - regardless of the content of the news - it has always been a pleasure to hear the well modulated speech of the various members of the team presenting the programme. But steadily their speech has quickened, no doubt to cram in as many items as possible. As a result their delivery suffers, in an effort to get quickly to the end of the sentence their voice drops lower and lower with shortage of breath so that you just miss out on the last words. Don't they train their staff on how to speak? They certainly need to. It seems to be just this one programme, other news during the day is generally alright. Another thing I have noticed generally with both radio and TV news is that it is becoming increasingly confrontational, in danger of resulting in a slanging match. I never have shouted at the radio or TV, but I feel like it sometimes. Or perhaps I'll do my own personal "denial of service" thing and bombard the BBC with indignant emails demanding that they slow down or belt up!
                Signed: Grumpy Old Woman
                Last edited by wherrygirl; December 11th, 2010, 11:44.
                Ivy

Comment

hello Grumpy Old Woman,welcome on board of the friendliest forum on the internet.

i think time is money,the shorter the presentation of the coming programs,the more time will left for the payed commercials.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Ah-ha, but the BBC doesn't do commercials, my lad, except its own never-ending trailers for forthcoming programmes!
                    I thought of another moan after I'd finished the one above. If you listen to the way they rattle off and not to what they actually say, their punctuation is completely opposed to how it would look on the page. They pause part way along, then rush on and continue into the next sentence without a break.
                    Oh, %^%$£*(^&^%
                    Ivy

Comment

Now that makes me join the Grumpies! . . . I absolutely can’t stand how they interject a trailer announcement for the next programme while the credits are still running on the previous one … sometimes the way this abruptly breaks the mood and ending of something can only be described as vandalism.

Comment

Why am I not logged on as often as usual this Saturday evening? I was invited to a pre-Christmas party at my better halfs work, and we are now settled at Vårsøg Hotel in Surnadal. What a hotel!!!! Super!
                        A little ferry news:
                        The husband of a collegue of Sigrun (my better half) is in fact an officer on board "Glutra" and he's going to Gdansk on Monday to sail the ferry home in the same route as our "Korsfjord". (J-O: the officers name is P.E. Pedersen).
                        He's employed in the strech Seivika - Tømmervåg, and will only take "Glutra" home and not continue with hør in Flakk - Rørvik.
                        (Wonder what him and me will talk about after a couple of cognacs?)
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          Now that makes me join the Grumpies! . . . I absolutely can’t stand how they interject a trailer announcement for the next programme while the credits are still running on the previous one … sometimes the way this abruptly breaks the mood and ending of something can only be described as vandalism.
                          I was moaning about radio, but I couldn't agree more about those TV trailers - the times I've cursed the cutting-in while I am still savouring the feel of the programme I've been enjoying, they have no sensitivity whatsoever. I noticed on Spring Watch, where that delightful music at the start and end has me jigging my feet around, they at one time started the trailer almost immediately, so the music was more or less inaudible. Then they just finished in time to allow you to hear the last bar with the final tweet, tweet, tweet of birdsong at the end. My goodness, was I mad! But although the trailer still comes on they do allow much more of the music afterwards. Did they have too many complaints?
                          Mind you, I can't stand the pair who do the programme now, they vie with each other to be the big "I AM". Ugh.
                          Feel better now.
                          Ivy

Comment

Big S.....such fun! Glad you are having a mini-holiday!!!
                            Got a bit of a giggle with Martin's quick visit to Rørvik...can't remember if he almost slept through it...remembering the photos from our Captain's stay there with his dear step-dad.

What a fun Saturday night! All is merriment in Middle-Of-Nowhere, Georgia.... it's 2114 and I need to go feed children!!!

Has anyone had as much fun with Jan-Olav's video on Korsfjord as I have? Only a gagillion friends have seen it or commented on it...Our Captain would be quite the personality if he came to visitus all here!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                              ....Has anyone had as much fun with Jan-Olav's video on Korsfjord as I have? Only a gagillion friends have seen it or commented on it....
                              Oh yes I’m sure I have! …but as I don’t have quite that many friends, it is you who should be awarded by some Norway cultural awareness body or other...
                              ...now that there are a gagillion more people around who are able to count up to four in Norwegian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                                I can totally agree, this annoys the hell out of me also. The program makers go to a lot of trouble to insure the ending music is fitting for the program, only to have the broadcasters trample right over the top of it. I can really enjoy a program, only to then have a sour taste left in my mouth by the way the ending is trashed!

Another pet hate of mine when it comes to tv programs is the way they break stories up into small sections, real life programs - animal rescue, rogue traders etc are always doing this, you just get into a story when they leave it and start another story, then, when you just get into that one they then switch back to the first story! This drives me mad, i would enjoy the whole program much more if they would simply finish with one story before they started another.
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X