Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without of course totally understanding the nuances of the Norwegian language newspaper article, I sense a strong whiff of misplaced political correctness.

No, I don’t find the image is racist at all. Actually I wouldn't have any hesitation to draw such a picture myself either. It just seems like a happy attractive children's character to me, one that I might even enjoy writing stories about.

My childhood Sambo money box, and a much-loved Golliwog doll - and pleasure in playing with a huge collection of the paper ones from jars of Robertson's marmalade and jam - were I'm sure responsible for a sensible attitude to personal finance and a lack of racial prejudices in adulthood.

Comment

why is that racist?

it's a black kid that plays it's drum,which those people do like there.
      is it racist than also if there was a white boy whering clogs and overall and playing at a pond in front of a windmill,and made from a clog a sailboat???????????????????

best regards Thijs

Comment

yesterday ,cleaned the truck inside and stuff al the junk in it again,but the hole day i feel almost al my muscles when i start the move,
        but the worst is my left shoulder,and that for weeks now,so yesterday didn't help for it.
        if the corse of it the thin Mercedes matras i don't know (i'm a leftside sleeper in the truck),or a something else i don't know,but now after yesterday worst than before
        best regards Thijs

Comment

It probably isn't the mattress otherwise you would have felt it long, long ago, Thijs. When you were preparing the HC for the show were you often doing something which meant being in the same awkward position for long periods?
          Can you buy some sort of extra padded piece, or have you an old duvet to put over the existing mattress that would help to ease the shoulder when you are sleeping in the truck again. These things can take a long time to wear off.
          And you never said anything about it these last days, despite the pain.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

It surely went worse since the Suffolk Lady kept you in the move! You will have to streghten your muscles, I recommend to start Nordic Walking --- or you get yourself a rudder boat and do some rowing on the Oude Maas. You're out of training, Buddy! Ivy can tell you how the Rhine rudderers do it near Kaub.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

i felt it already for some weeks,but last days it became worst.
              not in a way that i would felt down to the floor of pain,but enough that i made other movements with the arm as normaly would do,
              because of the painshot.
              but also steering in the car or truck i try to avoid it with the left arm,but doing normal things where i don't need to use the arm,you woulend see it at me.

i shouldend move more,but at home i sit and thats enough after a day of work,but i already now and feel that this beautiful body wont do the things anymore what inside my head is planed to do.
              so try to give this shoulder the rest,and try to go to sleep in the truck on my right.(just spent 2 nights in the truck this week)
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                (just spent 2 nights in the truck this week)
                Yes, I wondered if you were stuck-in-the-truck somewhere, not having seen you on the forum.
                Take as much care as you can with that shoulder, Thijs. There are ointments you can buy to rub on the strained part - or I think that the old-fashioned remedy of Thermogene wadding is still around. That'll kill or cure!
                Ivy

Comment

I'm sick and tired of fresh fruit. Our cherry trees have been producing well and the blueberries are starting heavy. I am so sick and tired of pitting cherries. The perfect ripe time is short so we work like mad to get everything at it's freshest and get it into the freezer. We did learn that the cherry juice that come from pitting is great with some Grenadine bourbon and ice. It's my treat for an hour standing at the pitter.

Comment

Oh Dane, you made me laugh till I cried. Absolutely out of the blue comes this tirade about fresh fruit! You can throw some of the blueberries over my way if you like.
                    Ivy

Comment

so besides al that you do,you are also a fruitfarmer
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

A study in ignorance, or lack of anything to write about??
                        This article appeared on VG.no a couple of days ago: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/dy...en/a/23242378/ (Google Translate should handle this easy enough)
                        A 40 cm long Python has got loose and appears in a bathroom somewhere in Denmark. Horror!!! Danger!!! Call the Police!!!

The problem is that Pythons are not poissoness and a 40 cm one is not able to strangle and swallow anything bigger then a mouse, gecko, or maybe a very small rat.

It had been hiding behind the toilet for 3-4 months; How does anybody know, if it just appeared and had not been seen before??

If it had been there for so long it must have been very small when it got there. Pythons are already 25-35 cm long at hatching, depending on species.
                        This snake must have had access to food. Did this person have a lot of mice in his bathroom??

More to the point, does this person have enemies, or maybe some practical jokers among his friends??

The moral of the story?? Don't believe everything you read on VG.no, or any other place on the net for that matter. (Except CVF of cause)

PS> The comments are also quite hilarious.

Comment

I am not a football fan,, but was so impressed when I saw Algeria play , I am going to watch their game against Germany.... so goodnight all ..lol

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• Seagull
                            Seagull commented
                            Editing a comment
                            ...and there I was thinking you'd be watching the tennis and cheering for Andy!

• kiki42
                            kiki42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Cecelia, lol well the football was great, and Algeria did really well against Germany.... That is what I call football... England think they are great, but dont
                            compare to the football I saw last night...... I will be chearing Andy when he gets to the semi finals and finals .... I am not a tennis fan either, just because its Andy. i would like to see him win again... naturally.

• kiki42
                            kiki42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            poor Andy quite a surprise him being knocked out,,,, he didn't seem to be on his usual good form...

monday morning 4,10am the Phone went, time to go out of bed,to load in cologne at 8,00am
                          everything went well,untill i came to the ring around Cologne,a sign says , rheinbridge closed for traffic heavier than 3,5 ton.
                          Damn
                          so had to go through Cologne,although a lot of extra kilometers i was on time (8.01am) at the adres.
                          loaded with a kind of tools,but just 2,1 ton of weight.
                          leaving after some hours i went away,and after 300meters a trafficlight that let me stop.
                          within seconds a motorpolice was stands besides me,after green he went just as i did.
                          but he stays in front of me for about 50 meters and keep looking in his mirrors.
                          no good.
                          after a few kilometers the sign lighted up,'' folgen biite'', '' follow please ''.
                          so he took me to a Industrial aeria and let me stop.
                          he asked if i understood German,yes i said.
                          driverslicense ,truckpapers and freightpaper please, and follows with,
                          your dutch,you have 2 containers and a lot of axles,you must be very heavy?
                          i said to him,when 3 of 7ales are hanging in the air,i don't think that i will be heavy loaded!
                          after looking the freightpaper and saw just 2,1 ton,he agree with that.
                          walking near the chassis,he said'' you have air lekage''.
                          by then i knew he stays looking for something so he could fine me.
                          i told him; chassis is 14 years old,what do you think,that it would stay new?
                          the truck is 3 years but next year it will have air lekage aswel ,even a Mercedes will leak air than.
                          you can't renew every 5 years the air system.
                          hmmmmm.
                          and he walked further.
                          and then he saw that the twistlocks arn't tighten. (the twistlocks hold the container at the chassis,there are 4 of them for every container)
                          i told him,no driver tighten them,we rotate the nut,and give it 1 finger back,and then the blocker keeps it like that.
                          but he said that the blockers don't do there job right anymore.
                          again i said it's14 years old,but nothing happens with it,and that i came out of rotterdam like this.
                          he didn't liked it,and said that it have to be repaired here.
                          i told him that bullsh1t,that i drive 22years with containers,and this is normal like this.
                          after a lot of blabla he came out of a fine of 300,00euro and that it have to be repared.
                          after even more blabla and joking how said he wil be after Germany will loose the championship and some nonsense later
                          he came with a new idea.
                          he said if i give you that fine,it will cost a lot,and than the repairs and i have to fill in the papers,do you have a bankcard to pin with?
                          yes.
                          i make you a fine of 35,00euro's,you tighten the nuts with a hammer,and then it's okey.
                          so again i make Germany richer (but i will bring that to the office for paying me back),i'm just to good for this world.

and this was all by the name of lack of load securement.

but you know when it's goes from a fine of 300,00euro and have to be repared to 35,00 euro and tighten them,he was just after easy money,
                          he thought to have a big fish (heavy loaded) he just get a small Shereen.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

• kiki42
                            kiki42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            not a good day !!!!!

• Oistein
                            Oistein commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You have my deepest sympathy.
                            This is called: "looking for statistics" or "filling the current quota"
                            Not good police work in any way

• Sterkoder
                            Sterkoder commented
                            Editing a comment
                            As a former trucker I can sence some of your feelings. My sympathies to you my friend :-)
                            Then, (and no hard feelings to the Norwegian police), but if they are out on a "filling out the current quota" trip and stop you...., you'd better shut up and take whatever they throw at you. Kleen up the mess afterwards.
                            Do not start an arguement with such a police officer. Happy days and safe drive further on Thijs..., it's summer! :-) :-D

THIJS, you are the limit!
                          Ivy

Comment

I knew we are a banana republic! Now the police is acting the same way than in Eastern countries. I don't like, when they are boring themselves and fill up their day like this.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
                              yvneac commented
                              Editing a comment
                              But,you know, it could happen in France as well.!!!!!!! Even worse...
                          Working...
                          X