Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Thijs and Ralf over there in Europe. My car was serviced a week or so ago and I picked it up absolutely gleaming after the excellent valeting. (All part of the job). Yesterday I found it covered with a fine layer of Sahara sand, but unlike some years ago when it was more or less pure red/gold sand, this time it was mixed with pollution from Europe, just a dirty grey dust all over. The matter was actually headline news this morning, No, (be quiet Dutchie), they didn't actually mention my car, just East Anglia, with north-west Norfolk the worst affected.
    Pack it up, will you?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      You little devils,you British.Give us back our sand and keep your worcester sauce!

But Yves, you have no right to the sand - it came from the Sahara, my good man. As to Worcester sauce, a tomato juice is nothing without it. Just you be careful, I'm only little but I can be a really BIG devil if I try hard enough.

Witty afterthought: "Our sand" indeed. Since when was the Sahara in Europe?
    Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      But Yves, you have no right to the sand - it came from the Sahara, my good man. As to Worcester sauce, a tomato juice is nothing without it. Just you be careful, I'm only little but I can be a really BIG devil if I try hard enough.

Witty afterthought: "Our sand" indeed. Since when was the Sahara in Europe?
      Ivy,please, we are not going to quibble about geographical details!
      Anyway,YOU, a big devil? I'll never believe that.

Comment

I didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a "Only in Norway" thread. : ​http://www.smp.no/nyheter/nordre/article9495597.ece
        Fish can swim long distances, but this looks very much like a semi-stationary "Fjordtorsk", if you ask me.

Comment

Hi CV friends, not long back from Scotland, sorry no photos , the weather was poor so I didn't bother.. Well I am off again next week to Verona, so hopefully you will have some photos from there , one place I haven't visited yet and i want to go to Juliets house and do a letter and stand on the balcony,,, the film was lovely.. It is a romantic city but I will be with my sister. lol the Palazzo Victoria Hotel looks amazing and in the centre. . hope the weather is better than Scotland.... its been beach days since I returned to Jersey,, topping up my vitamin D xx

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Kiki!!! It's hello goodbye, then! What a shame about the weather in Scotland, we've had it much better down here. But Verona! That should be great - enjoy yourself.
            Ivy

Comment

• kiki42
              kiki42 commented
              Editing a comment
              thank you IVY, Verona looks lovely,,, as I said to Cecelia storms forcast while i am there... Hope to get some nice photos while I am there... and of the hotel.... not back till 2nd May....

Hi Kiki! Sending apologies for the weather on behalf of Scotland lol ...and also from me that I wasn't able to meet up after I returned from Thailand. Have a lovely holiday KIki and lots of sunshine!

Comment

• kiki42
              kiki42 commented
              Editing a comment
              hi cecelia, I was staying at Helensburgh with my mother, she is 92 now.... Managed to get to Loch Lomond for dinner, and that was the only dry day and sunshine... not sure about the weather in Verona... forcast said storms !!!!!!!!

It was a BIG mistake to have mentioned my return to CVF "High Visibility" in the birthday thread! Even though the live F1 action from China is more an over-breakfast activity given the time difference, and even though the Edinburgh weather has perked up and I have ALREADY managed to make a first cut attempt on D's garden grass... D is in the midst of a major computers reorganisation ...and now my computer which is here must (or so he insists) be upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (yes that's 7 not 8 ...don't ask...it's complicated!) And it's not an upgrade, it's a complete fresh new install. And actual physical hard disks are being changed around ...though that is supposed to leave me with the old one that could go back if the whole operation ends in disaster, and a new-to-me one of greater capacity. Oh well, at least it's nice to see him feeling well and enjoying himself! This could take days...meanwhile this comes to you from Paddy the I-Pad, just like being back on holiday!

Comment

And the best of British, Cecilia!
              Ivy

Comment

Today is the real birthday of our Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 88 today. Long may she still reign over us. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...The-Queen.html
                Ivy

Comment

Hi Folks, Nothing going right for me today... Photobucket causing problems with photos.... some were missing and then they came back,,, some were on twice and i tried to remove them,,, and the red sign showing at the Verona thread is because I deleted a reply post because it was the wrong photo... . and I also see two entries for my Verona thread... HELP ... lol

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Found this BS on smp.no today: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article9664633.ece#7
                    I agree, water level will raise on average, but the land in many parts will also raise. As somebody pointed out, around Aalesund the land is raising abt. 2.5 mm./year while the worst case water level rise per 100 years is 1,200 mm., or 12 mm./year. In other words Aalesund "worst case" is 9.5 mm,/year, or 950 mm. per century.
                    OK, it still means that at spring tide some street in Aalesund will be under water. In case of storm surge the water level will be higher and wave action could do some serious damages,
                    The good thing is that we have 86 years to take remedial action. To build protective seawalls doesn't take that long.
                    A better solution would be to stop CO2 emission, or at least reduce it, but that take firm actions, not just talks.

PS> Try the interactive "World under water " link: http://www.worldunderwater.org/#/ and have a good laugh, Anywhere you try will be 6 ft. under water, no matter your altitude. If you have an address at Mt. Everest it would still be flooded.
                    The example for Singapore is at Marina Bay, which is separated from the sea by a barrier that is already allowing for 1.80 m. sea level raise.

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sigve, please have a look what your place will look like in 2100, unless you stop you polluting trips to Hardanger.

• Sigve
                      Sigve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fortunately I live 445 metres over sea level, but nevertheless I will stop my polluting trips to Hardanger immediately. Never again!!

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, you should be safe for the foreseeable future.
                      Here is what it will look like at Fjelltunvegen, Aalesund: http://www.worldunderwater.org/#/lat...lesund,_Norway

And this is Marina Bay fresh water reservoir in Singapore: http://www.worldunderwater.org/#/lat...,0&watlvl=22.5
                      Obviously there is no reason to worry about fresh water supplies any more.

PS> All present and future reclamation and seafront construction in Singapore is already allowing for 1.80 m. sea level raise. It is known as advance planning. It is recommended to all other Governments.

As my dear friend Paul started this thread:
                    a place where nothing else goes except for shooting the breeze with whatever is on your mind.
                    ...I would just like to say, I passed the exam for the Eddy Current Level2 method of NDT.

The reason I'm happy about that is that I've spent so much time trying to get passed the exam, failing three times in a row.
                    This last and third time, I argued the decision and the school turned around. I'm now officially a NDT Inspector and G11 Controller. Ain't that great...?

Just wanted to tell :-)
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• janihudi
                      janihudi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      congratulations Svein,though i don't know what it is.

• Oistein
                      Oistein commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congratulations!
                      But as janihudi says, what is an NDT Inspector and G11 Controller?

• Sterkoder
                      Sterkoder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      NDT: Non-Destruction Testing
                      You test different materials for cracks, bad welding, damages etc. without destroying the item you're checking.
                      To the Norwegian NDT society: http://www.ndt.no/index.php?topmenu=...d=814&show=814 (from the column to the left in that page, I got MT and ET) Sorry, Norwegian only, but try also YouTube and search for Eddy Current (The testing methods name in english).

G11: A field in lifting equipment offshore (chains, wire, container eye-pads etc.)
                      I can re-certify such items for a new periode of use.

Please forgive me for asking a stupid question.

But, I wonder, is this image racist?

http://www.itromso.no/nyheter/article9744343.ece

Please let me know what you think, and is it really painting a stereotypical image of African people?

Would it be the same reaction if it was a blond haired, blue eyes, boy in Bunad playing a Hardingfele (violin)?
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Personally, I don't think this is racist. But it's something we at this time have enough understanding of other cultures NOT to draw/picture. This is a populistic way to picture "africans" before late 1970s, early 1980s. Thorbjørn Egners song about a "negergutt" (negro boy from africa) even had to delete the word "neger" from its text. I think that was crossing the crazy line, but....
                      I don't see the drawing from itromsø as racist, but rather a drawing we should be educated enough to not make today.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                      X